Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs @ Mets

Jon Heyman@JonHeyman

5m
    deGrom (shoulder) saw one doctor today, who saw no issues. Mets are sending the NL MVP favorite for a second opinion as they understand the significance. But so far itís a big relief!

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

If there appear to be no issues, but he keeps having problems during starts and getting pulled... then there's an issue!!!

Just send him for an MRI or an X-ray or whatever and settle this, how can you be anything but utterly cautious with the world's greatest pitcher?

Well he is getting a 2nd opinion and I am assuming more tests. Even if that stuff comes up clean, shelve him for 2 or 3 starts. Whatever the case is, the Mets need pitching come the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well he is getting a 2nd opinion and I am assuming more tests. Even if that stuff comes up clean, shelve him for 2 or 3 starts. Whatever the case is, the Mets need pitching come the deadline.
    I hope the doctors are making the call on what to do with him and not the FO, the owner or even Jacob. If they feel he needs to rest, then so be it. But if they say he can start, I'm all in.

This reminds me of when Zack was coming off the TJS, he had so many aches and pains when he pitched, always complained something wasn't right but nothing was ever found.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I hope the doctors are making the call on what to do with him and not the FO, the owner or even Jacob. If they feel he needs to rest, then so be it. But if they say he can start, I'm all in.

This reminds me of when Zack was coming off the TJS, he had so many aches and pains when he pitched, always complained something wasn't right but nothing was ever found.
    Agreed but my thing is if it even comes up clean, there's no harm in putting him on the shelf in June. Yeah its at least 2 starts but given their cushion and the inconsistency of the rest of the division, to me there's minimal downside in resting him. I don't see doctors necessarily disagreeing with that statement either. Play it safe. This guy is the most valuable/best player in baseball right now. You have to find ways to make sure he's there for a playoff run. Obviously that's not guaranteed but at the very least, you try to make that happen to the best of your ability.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-17-2021 at 03:36 PM.

https://twitter.com/mikemayer22/stat...307527171?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have felt that he would need rest come august anyways so sit him for a couple of starts now.

Now you guys will think I am totally nuts and will want to retire me from this forum for being old and demented, but the last time we needed an ace to help out when a previous ace (read Harvey) was ineffective or hurt, we reached out to Bartolo Colon. I hear he is still pitching well in the Mexican League at nearly age 50. Bring him back - he was always an innings eater.

Then see what Tropeano has. But, when is Yamamoto supposed to be back? I know he was put on the 60 due to "procedural issues" (meaning they needed to free up space on the 40), but is he gonna be ready at any point this year. He has to be closer than Carrasco and Thor.

And, I trust that Sandy and his crew are looking for a trade match, but I don't want Scherzer if we have to give up the top 4 or 5 prospects, especially given that he is at best a 3 month rental.

And finally, my take on deGrom is put him on the IL for 10 days and shut him totally down - no freakin' baseball activity. After than, then see what he has. If he can be a 3 inning opener like he ended up being last night for a few starts after the IL stint, then hold Lugo out to give another 3 innings in the same game before handing it over to the one inning guys.

Where is Arodys Vizcaino and how is he doing at Syracuse? Is he injured?

Agreed but my thing is if it even comes up clean, there's no harm in putting him on the shelf in June. Yeah its at least 2 starts but given their cushion and the inconsistency of the rest of the division, to me there's minimal downside in resting him. I don't see doctors necessarily disagreeing with that statement either. Play it safe. This guy is the most valuable/best player in baseball right now. You have to find ways to make sure he's there for a playoff run. Obviously that's not guaranteed but at the very least, you try to make that happen to the best of your ability.
    Is it going to help him?
    It didn't help him last time.

Alright, so Iím of the belief that sitting Jake for a start or two isnít going to prevent the inevitable.

So, if he wants to take the hill, Iíd let him. Assuming that thereís a decent chance heís breaking down at some point this year.

But until that day actually comes...Iíd like to know what your thoughts are...

Who is for letting him start if he wants to or who is for forcing him to sit a couple times through the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Is it going to help him?
    It didn't help him last time.
    So really all they can do is keep looking, I mean something HAS to be wrong if he isn't feeling right. If they can't find anything, then does that just mean they haven't looked hard enough? Is there some deeper underlying issue?

https://twitter.com/mikemayer22/stat...519463938?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Do they just start getting more opinions? I mean what's the plan at this point? You can't just keep throwing him out there only to pull him after a few innings and risk something worse happening

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Like I said before, just have him dial it down a bit. Dude is already unhittable at 101, I doubt heíd have an issue at 98-99...heíd probably still be the hardest throwing pitcher in the game lol.

Iíd like to see him sit easier during the beginning of games then dial it up later on. Dial it up to 101 if needed in big spots but donít rely on it completely.

Regardless, I donít think an IL stint is necessary, tbh. He already hasnít had too much stress from the last two starts, I think maybe pushing him back a day or two would help out. I donít think that would be possible though, with so many double headers coming up. Maybe let him go on a pitch count next start, then push him back after the off day. If everythingís looking fine then I say proceed with caution.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast