Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs @ Mets

I feel like we've had this conversation about Terry and Mickey as well. Sounds oddly familiar. Terry was a great clubhouse guy but the X's and O's were weak. Callaway wasn't as good of a clubhouse guy but it seemed most of his players liked him quite a bit but obviously he wasn't an X's and O's guy either.

Rojas seems like a decent X's and O's guy imo. Fans just do a lot of backseat managing assuming that a different player or pitcher (in a certain spot) means a different outcome. It does and it doesn't. And what most fans do is focus on the moves that don't work and take for granted the ones that do.

Everyone screams about how much of a difference Joe Girardi would make on a team meanwhile the Phillies are under .500 since he was hired.

Peterson should start one game of the Washington Doubleheader on Saturday. They will have to bring up a pitcher as 27th man for the other game or do a bullpen game. They will also need extra pitchers next week on Monday and Friday for doubleheaders.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I feel like we've had this conversation about Terry and Mickey as well. Sounds oddly familiar. Terry was a great clubhouse guy but the X's and O's were weak. Callaway wasn't as good of a clubhouse guy but it seemed most of his players liked him quite a bit but obviously he wasn't an X's and O's guy either.

Rojas seems like a decent X's and O's guy imo. Fans just do a lot of backseat managing assuming that a different player or pitcher (in a certain spot) means a different outcome. It does and it doesn't. And what most fans do is focus on the moves that don't work and take for granted the ones that do.

Everyone screams about how much of a difference Joe Girardi would make on a team meanwhile the Phillies are under .500 since he was hired.
    I was dead-balls wrong on Girardi. I really thought he'd turn them into contenders, and in fairness last year was entirely the fault of the bullpen - they were otherwise a very good team. But this year they just have not performed.

Anyway, I don't see how anyone could think Rojas is a decent X's and O's guy. The defensive alignments are all up to the analytics, and another coach handles the implementation; the lineup and rotation are almost certainly the FO's call, but even if they aren't that's not a feather in his cap; and while I try not to judge on the Pitcher A vs Pitcher B decisions, he's done a ton of dumb **** like sending pitchers out without a net, and also leaving guys in too long. The Familia call the other night was a more difficult choice, but it was also a Hail Mary that he shouldn't have thrown. I'll give him this: He's not as bad as Mickey Callaway, who didn't seem to know the rules in some cases, but he's not good by any definition.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    Except on some of the top teams where 5s could be 3s. Just take a look at just the Mets teams of the late 60s / early 70s, those in the mid 80s and some of the other Mets teams since then. Many of those 5s could have been 3s or maybe 2s on mediocre pitching staffs.

I am not saying that Peterson is that guy, but if Thor and Cookie were here, our number 5 would be either Stroman or Walker.

Peterson has the stuff but not the consistency and command. He needs AAA, in which he has never played. Lucchesi can be a decent #5 IMO, but the Mets need to go out and bring in a veteran #4 assuming that Thor and Cookie won't be back until later this season and maybe not back at all this year.
    That's why I said typically. In the 50-plus year window you refer to, there aren't a lot of times when the Mets had a #5 who was a #2 or #3. Cardwell was very good in '69 but still had a losing record. Jim McAndrew was a very good #5, but he wasn't going to be a #3 for anyone except the Padres or Expos.

If Syndergaard and Carrasco come back and show that they can pitch at a high level, of course Peterson gets bumped. Survival of the fittest. But unless they make a trade he's the best they've got right now. It may seem like he's had his chances but he's started just 21 games and pitched all of 102 innings in his career. I'm enjoying watching him figure it out, and think that he will.

Yeah, agree. But take a look at some of the other pitching "rich" teams like the Braves were when they had Maddox and Glavine and Smoltz, etal. Their 5th starter (whomever it was that particular given year) seemed to always have a winning record and a 3.XX ERA. Millwood comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    Yeah, agree. But take a look at some of the other pitching "rich" teams like the Braves were when they had Maddox and Glavine and Smoltz, etal. Their 5th starter (whomever it was that particular given year) seemed to always have a winning record and a 3.XX ERA. Millwood comes to mind.
    Milwood is a great example. But those teams were the major exceptions, and not as deep 1-5 as one might think. For instance, for the WS champion 95 Braves, Avery was 7-13 with a 4.67 ERA in 29 starts. He was 25, which happens to be the same age as a certain 2021 Mets starter. On that same 95 team Kent Mercker started 26 games, went 7-8 with a 4.15 ERA, which is what one would expect from a 4-5.

In the NL Champ '96 season, Avery (4.47) and Jason Schmidt (6.67) were even worse as the 4-5 to the big three.

Their best year for starters 1-5 was probably '98, when Neagle and Milwood at 4-5 excelled for a 106 win team.

Anthony DiComo@AnthonyDiComo

Mets Game 59 of 162, vs. CHC
    Tuesday, June 15, 7:10 p.m.
    RHP Alec Mills (2-0, 6.08)

Villar 3B
    Lindor SS
    D. Smith LF
    Alonso 1B
    McKinney RF
    McCann C
    Pillar CF
    Guillorme 2B
    Walker RHP (5-2, 2.07)

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Michael Mayer@mikemayer22

The Mets have a major league best 2.01 ERA and .750 winning percentage at home this season.

They play 21 of their next 29 games prior to the All-Star break at Citi Field.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Diaz clearly throwing that slider with way more control. Hitting the corners as opposed to having every pitch land in the middle of the plate. Makes all the difference.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Man. Scary top of the first inning. Great job by Walker to stay composed. Hes like the opposite of Matz, emotionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a guy in Mills the Mets should be killing.

Well shoot. Looks like Walker might not have it tonight.

Dom needlessly jumping almost broke his damn ankle.

We need to get some runs off Mills. He sucks and hes throwing meatballs

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast