Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the best player in baseball?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ohtani

1 5.56%
  • Trout

15 83.33%
  • deGrom

0 0%
  • Acuna

0 0%
  • Tatis

0 0%
  • Soto

1 5.56%
  • Other

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Who is the best player in baseball?

The consensus has been Mike Trout seemingly for the last 7 or 8 years. Not saying that still isn't the case necessarily but Trout has been more injury prone in recent seasons (again this year) and there's been some really great young players who have emerged as stars in the last handful of years. Guys like Acuna, Soto, Tatis, etc.

Right now for me its either deGrom or Ohtani. Ohtani is the most talented player we've seen in decades but deGrom's dominance is second to none. The homer in me gives the edge to deGrom but what say you?
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-13-2021 at 01:06 AM.

Mike Trout is still the only correct answer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

There is room for debate at least. If you take body of work the last 9 years, he's the guy but he's also missed 133 games the last 5 seasons. I know Ohtani has taken time to put it together but no one is doing what he is doing currently and hasn't done anything like it in decades. deGrom is dominating hitters like no pitcher has in baseball to this point in a season (ever) and has won 2 Cy Youngs since 2018.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-13-2021 at 01:37 AM.

There is definitely room for debate with players like Acuna, Soto and Tatis coming into their primes. Trout is still in the conversation, even with his injuries. If he were to retire today, he would still get strong consideration for the Hall of Fame. None of the other players mentioned in this thread would have that in their corners.

Its a really tough call. I'm not sure Tatis, Acuna, et al, have really separated themselves from the pack. deGrom is surely in the conversation and I have no qualms with anyone who says he's the best in the game. Hell, for this season alone, Vlad Jr is on pace for a 10 war season as a 1B/DH, which would be incredible. Ohtani is probably on par with deGrom. He's wild on the mound but still well above average and he's been a monster at the plate. Nobody can do what he can do.

So, Ohtani?

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    There is definitely room for debate with players like Acuna, Soto and Tatis coming into their primes. Trout is still in the conversation, even with his injuries. If he were to retire today, he would still get strong consideration for the Hall of Fame. None of the other players mentioned in this thread would have that in their corners.
    Trout would be a first ballot HOFer and it better be unanimous. He's arguably the best player ever to this point.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Trout would be a first ballot HOFer and it better be unanimous. He's arguably the best player ever to this point.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Lol yeah. Silly comment. Dude couldíve retired two years ago and gotten into the HOF. Dudes a lock. All heís going for now is if heís the GOAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Lol yeah. Silly comment. Dude couldíve retired two years ago and gotten into the HOF. Dudes a lock. All heís going for now is if heís the GOAT.

He just needs a ring and heíll be the goat

trout without a 2nd thought... degrom is top 3

Itís still trout

Who is the best player in baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightbottle View Post
    He just needs a ring and heíll be the goat

I donít think he needs a ring. Baseball is so individual dependent. Dude has done everything in his control. Canít bat, play defense, or pitch for others.

He has 15 post season PA in his career back when he was 22.

I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post

If pujols retires today, he's a HOFer. Does that make him better than Acuna, Soto ect?

But to answer the question, I still lean trout. That tends to be the risk averse person I am, but if I had to draft a team today to win this year without any payroll considerations and then every player goes back in the draft next year and we do it again, I'm still taking trout. Degrom would be an interesting arguement for that spot too, but I still think it's trout and to me, that's the best way to figure out who's the best. Im sure if means I'll always be one of the last ones to acknowledge a changing of the guards to a new best player, but I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    If pujols retires today, he's a HOFer. Does that make him better than Acuna, Soto ect?

But to answer the question, I still lean trout. That tends to be the risk averse person I am, but if I had to draft a team today to win this year without any payroll considerations and then every player goes back in the draft next year and we do it again, I'm still taking trout. Degrom would be an interesting arguement for that spot too, but I still think it's trout and to me, that's the best way to figure out who's the best. Im sure if means I'll always be one of the last ones to acknowledge a changing of the guards to a new best player, but I'm okay with that.
    I think you missed what my quote was in response to. Guy said that if Trout retired today Ďhe may get consideration for the HOF.Ē Thatís a silly comment because Trouts a lock and has been for a couple seasons now.

Put it this way, Bryce could be argued to be going to the HOF when it's all said and done (not worth that contract), but Trout crushes him career wise, including this year.

In order for someone to overtake Trout as best player, they need to be putting up something like in between prime Pujols-Bonds numbers at the plate over a long period of time.

That's how high the bar is.
    Until they prove the fans wrong again

No one has unseated Trout yet. Acuna and Tatis are on the peripheral looking in though. Only reason they'd surpass him is age or injury. Neither will put up career numbers like him in all likelihood.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast