Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Padres @ Mets

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    You can never have enough quality BP arms. Something this team can think about come the deadline.
    Not just BP arm but someone else besides Lugo who can pitch multiple innings. If they do nit they may face this situation again. You got five great innings from Lucchesi but relief stunk.relief used was Barnes who needs to go away and familia who just gets into too much trouble to often.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Listen I realize the options were garbage.

But youíre 7 outs away from a win. If you get Pham out you have Tatis leading off the 8th where he canít give Padres the lead.

What Iím saying is that at bat with Pham was clearly THE big at bat of the game and thereís no way a major league manager shouldnít realize that in real time.

So if youíre trying to win the game how do you leave Familia, who was clearly gassed and can rarely find the strike zone with men on base, in there for that game defining moment with the bases juiced and Tatis on deck?

Familia had zero shot against Pham the way he lost Profar and everyone but Rojas knew it.

Maybe Barnes comes in and does worse but I would have let him have a shot against Pham instead of letting Pham have a guaranteed win and then asking him to face Tatis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But if we are dealing with what ifís then I can what if you to death as well.

The reality is that the Mets pen is short today and they had to rely on Familia to get through 2 innings. He could not, they had to rely on Barnes to get a big out, he could not.

Based on that I donít see how they would of gotten 7 more outs with what they had available anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Exactly

He was forced to rely on Familia for 2 innings and he could not do that and then had to get one of the bums that should not be in that situation to try and get out of it.

Iíll concede the point but thereís no advantage having Familia face just one more hitter or have the next pitcher face one less. The Barnes-Tatis matchup was a higher risk than Barnes-Phan. Maybe neither wirks in the end but Familia had never in his entire ML career thrown that many pitches. For a team so committed to the stats, why ignore them there?

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The thing is that May has struggled as well. Thats probably a spot for Castro if he's not dealing with the stiff neck. Barnes can't be pitching to Tatis in that predicament though.
    Yeah another guy that was not available today.

Mets options were Smith, Barnes and Gsellman in there and I am not going to say that any othem would of gotten Pham out for sure or been able to get 4 more outs before May in the 9th.

The other decision that looks suspect is removing the starter after five. If youíre that shorthanded, do you do that in a 1-0 game? Or do you roll the dice a little there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    But if we are dealing with what ifís then I can what if you to death as well.

The reality is that the Mets pen is short today and they had to rely on Familia to get through 2 innings. He could not, they had to rely on Barnes to get a big out, he could not.

Based on that I donít see how they would of gotten 7 more outs with what they had available anyways.

Sorry man. Canít agree with your logic to basically concede the game there when it was obvious Familia was beyond cooked going into that at bat with Pham.

Not saying I had high confidence in anyone else. Just that I donít see how anyone watching the game could have any confidence in Familia going into that at bat when he clearly looked done with Profar.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Oh Smith was available. So why not him instead of Barnes?

Again leadoff guy in scoring position and still can not produce a run. They are in first but the lack of scoring is bad and will come back to bite them long term. To many boom or bust offensive outings. Their boom outings are not that great.

SRF, Szapucki, Tropeano, and Yennsy Diaz should all be brought up sooner rather than later.

The bullpen imo will be fine, you can live with Familia being your low leverage reliever, similar to how Barnes is supposed to be used.

Mets donít care about pushing Familia because heís not in their future plans, guys like him and Barnes can be counted on to throw a lot of pitches because itís not like theyíre Diaz or deGrom, where theyíre integral to the team. I doubt that was the reasoning for leaving him in, though. Mets probably didnít want to bring in Barnes to roll over the next inning but had no choice with Familia sucking balls and throwing so much.

Problem now is, whoís gonna bet the 8th and 9th? Barnes is probably gonna be used up and then May will be brought in for the 9th. This is the problem with pulling your starters so early in games, your relievers pitch more and end up becoming unavailable in instances like today. The team needs to start letting these guys finish the 7th and push 100 pitches in a start. I understand it because well, deGrom has tendinitis, Stroman didnít pitch at all last year, and Walker is only slightly removed from TJ. Peterson and Lucchesi have never shown propensity to go deeper into games and a lack of innings by the starters has clearly hurt the team.

I donít have an issue with Rojas at all, I have an issue with Sandy STILL employing Barnes where yeah, heís shown some life but heís been overwhelmingly trash and the metrics show that.

Mets are sort of between a rock and a hard place. Can they push relievers a little more or can they push their starters more? Weíve seen what happens with the former, with the latter, Iím inclined to believe injury will likely occur.

The key is reinforcements. Like I said, call up some of the other guys and trade for an innings eater. Thatíll solve a lot of issues.

Itís not the end of the world, though. This team is in first for a reason, Rojas has managed smartly but hey, **** happens. The offense could stand to wake up a bit, too.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Does the league reschedule rainouts or is that fir the teams to work out. Either way, who in their right mind schedules three in a week?

Mets have also been 0 for 9 with runners in scoring position today. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyman View Post
    Does the league reschedule rainouts or is that fir the teams to work out. Either way, who in their right mind schedules three in a week?
    I believe MLB reschedules double headers. Although the CBA most likely approved what is done. At least they are only 7 inning games for better or worse.

Itís happening too much. Maybe automatic 5 game suspension for the pitcher who does it? I donít know but something has to happen before someone gets killed.

Quote Originally Posted by 68METSFAN View Post
    I believe MLB reschedules double headers. Although the CBA most likely approved what is done. At least they are only 7 inning games for better or worse.
    Either way, for a business worried about injuries itís a curious way to proceed.

cant stand dom smith this dude has been straight up doo doo he cant even defend nimmo and conforto need to come back pronto

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast