Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where will Detroit’s O line finish the year?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%
  • Top 3

1 14.29%
  • Top 5

1 14.29%
  • Top 10

3 42.86%
  • Top 15

0 0%
  • Top 20

0 0%
  • Top 25

0 0%
  • Top 32

0 0%
  • Bottom 50%

1 14.29%
  • Bottom 5

0 0%
  • Dead last

0 0%
  • I just want a BJ

1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Where would you rate Detroit’s O line?

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/...-line-best-nfl

Last year, the Detroit Lions offensive line was one of their strongest units. Starting center Frank Ragnow was named to his first Pro Bowl and received second-team All-Pro honors. Taylor Decker put his name back in the conversation of top-10 left tackles in this league. And the unit, as a whole, finished 13th in PFF’s end-of-season rankings.

But for left guard Jonah Jackson, who will be entering his second season this fall, he believes the best may be yet to come. Expectations for the offensive line are always going to be high, but this year the potential to be special.

“I think we can be the best, know what I’m saying?” Jackson said after the Lions’ final minicamp practice. “It’s just a matter of how far we want to go, and how we attack each week.”

Last year, the Lions’ statistical output was average. They finished 20th in ESPN’s pass block win rate and 14th in run block win rate. They averaged just 4.1 yards per carry (26th). Jackson wants that number to be 4.5 or over this year. They allowed 42 sacks (23rd), and Jackson wants that number to be... well...

“Zero. Hopefully none,” Jackson said. “We don’t want to set a standard for that. Hopefully, it’ll never happen.”

The Lions' offensive line obviously got a huge addition this offseason with the selection of offensive tackle Penei Sewell seventh overall. Sewell will almost assuredly take over the starting right tackle job—admittedly, an adjustment for the rookie—but Jackson is noticing how the youngster is already carrying himself like a veteran.

“They say he’s a 20-year-old, but he acts like a grown man with how he handles himself not only in the meetings but on the field,” Jackson said. “And definitely on the field, you see why he was the seventh overall pick. It’s very evident, and I’m excited for his future and what’s to come for him.”

Jackson himself obviously has a lot to improve upon after a solid but inconsistent season. He’ll benefit from knowing his exact role (left guard) from the onset of the offseason, but he’s also making sure to take better care of himself than he was able to in his rookie season.

“Handling my diet, staying on top of my weight, just getting stronger, bigger, smarter,” Jackson explained. “You know, just trying to dial it in as much as I can to help myself this next year.”

Unfortunately, that means cutting out some of life’s finest delicacies.

“Not as many trips to Taco Bell and White Castle.”
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Personally speaking I have high expectations… I’ll go on record and say top 3. Boom!
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

2 potentially really good OT's and a very good C makes up a strong foundation, plus a solid backup/swing OT in Tyrell Crosby. Jonah Jack flashed potential as an IOL. The biggest question is what value does Vatai have on this team and will he be the starting RG we need? Or does Sternberg fill that void?

On paper I say top 10 but could be even better if Jackson and whoever starts at the other guard spot perform. Either way we have a strong foundation there.

I'm here for the gang bang.

PFF ranking seems about right. I don't want to say we'll be incredible because even last year with a good pass blocking line, we were horrible when it came to run blocking.

Depends on scheme, playcalling, Goff, the WRs, how the RBs develop, the game script, etc.

On paper they're in the top half. On the field? 1st or 32nd would not surprise me.

So without even taking into account scheme, draft, qb play this oline should be better.

Oline is as of right now healthy, Vitae was injured all last year and right now he is healthy and hopefully stays that way. If healthy I think he is a solid guard.

Growth- Jonah Jackson should be better from year 1 to year 2 just with your typical year of playing. He should be stronger by being in a year of NFL weight program, a off year of NFL Weight Program, and just having the game slow down for him.

Chemistry- this line will be 4 out 5 players who know each other now. They know their strengths and weaknesses know what should be going on. This is huge.

Consistency - scheme may change, but Hank Fraley is the coach and he will be coaching them the same way so technique will change very little this is also huge for maintaining growth.

So long story short you take the above, you add in a top 10 draft pick who should help stabilize the one question (Crosby is good but often seemed to come out of games) and this line should be making a big jump.

Then you look at the weakest link Vitae and then you can start having the Logan Stenberg conversation. Can he make/take the next step to challenge Vitae for a starting spot. I mean his attitude is right up there with what this coaching staff wants from its big men. If so then now you have a line of Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Stenberg, Sewell, with guys like Vitae and Crosby coming off the bench for injury. How is that not one of the best oline in the league.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    So without even taking into account scheme, draft, qb play this oline should be better.

Oline is as of right now healthy, Vitae was injured all last year and right now he is healthy and hopefully stays that way. If healthy I think he is a solid guard.

Growth- Jonah Jackson should be better from year 1 to year 2 just with your typical year of playing. He should be stronger by being in a year of NFL weight program, a off year of NFL Weight Program, and just having the game slow down for him.

Chemistry- this line will be 4 out 5 players who know each other now. They know their strengths and weaknesses know what should be going on. This is huge.

Consistency - scheme may change, but Hank Fraley is the coach and he will be coaching them the same way so technique will change very little this is also huge for maintaining growth.

So long story short you take the above, you add in a top 10 draft pick who should help stabilize the one question (Crosby is good but often seemed to come out of games) and this line should be making a big jump.

Then you look at the weakest link Vitae and then you can start having the Logan Stenberg conversation. Can he make/take the next step to challenge Vitae for a starting spot. I mean his attitude is right up there with what this coaching staff wants from its big men. If so then now you have a line of Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Stenberg, Sewell, with guys like Vitae and Crosby coming off the bench for injury. How is that not one of the best oline in the league.
    Couldn't have said it any better. If Stenberg beats out Big V in camp then we have two viable back ups like you said in Big V and Crosby.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Thank You for the memories Coach Williams and Good Luck to Coach Davis!
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

How important is line/QB chemistry and does that take a year+ as well?

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I guess we will find out in training camp and preseason.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Thank You for the memories Coach Williams and Good Luck to Coach Davis!
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Every former pro says its very important, just watched interviews with TJ Lang, Jeff Schwartz, Mark Schlereth in the last few weeks and this is the first comment they make. Anthony Munos in the past has said the same that sometimes it does take a year+. Now someone who is a back up might slide in and it may only take 6 games because they are familiar with that player. Sewell will also take some time to gel with his team the benefit for him is the other 5 guys have been together for a year already.

The great thing is this line is set for the next 5 years if it performs well so that chemistry has time to grow.
    Last edited by garnotm; 06-22-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    Every former pro says its very important, just watched interviews with TJ Lang, Jeff Schwartz, Mark Schlereth in the last few weeks and this is the first comment they make. Anthony Munos in the past has said the same that sometimes it does take a year+. Now someone who is a back up might slide in and it may only take 6 games because they are familiar with that player. Sewell will also take some time to gel with his team the benefit for him is the other 5 guys have been together for a year already.

The great thing is this line is set for the next 5 years if it performs well so that chemistry has time to grow.
    You see Goff being here for 5 years?

The way Holmes talks about him does give me pause for thought that Goff will be here longer than we might think. I don't like the idea and think it would be a mistake.

Goff isn't the Oline...kind of obvious by the low number and the QB initials in position column.

I guess this may be a snap count thing but I think that takes a lot less time to get use to than how the guy next to you plays.