Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    W

I must say that this is one of the weirdest looking selling club ever.

The beer snake, lol.

This team just keeps going.

6/11-6/13: Cardinals (32-30) at Cubs (35-27) IGT: Opening Day 2.0 Edition

NVM

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dfan25; 06-13-2021 at 11:45 PM.

Beating the Cardinals, sweeping the Cardinals, is always a good thing.
    Screw sabermetics.

Kimbrel's curve is basically unhittable, so you're forced to sit on a 98-99 mph fastball, so good luck.

Quite different than when he was sitting 96mph in 2019 and couldn't control anything.

Hats off to Hoyer and Hottovy and the organizational approach to pitching development. Gotta eat some crow as I ripped this club several times for the lack of progress in that department. Didn't take them long - after they overhauled the system - to see major results. Yeah the rotation is basically the antithesis of what you want these days; I mean, it sucks. But if they can get us through 5 innings and hand it off to this amalgam of cast-offs and pet-projects bullpen then we have a really good chance to win. I was pretty upset when he non-tendered Tepera but that move worked out. That dude has been a major part of our success. We're very much like the Brewers of 17-19 before Burnes/Woodruff/Peralta 'arrived'. Ross is pushing all the right buttons handling the staff. The formula theyve concocted is working. It may seem like smoke and mirrors but I believe they will be playing after 162 is done.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    I didnít know where else or how else to say it but Iíve lashed out at some people on the board here in the past and I apologize for it. Had to work out some personal anger/anxiety issues in my personal life and I think after 2 years I finally have. So, go Cubs, and my bad
    You've never lashed out at me, but to be honest, I noticed that your posts almost seem like a different person is posting for you. Now we know why.

Good luck with whatever issues you may or may have had!

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Sergio!!!

Hoerner better hurry back..lol

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    If Sergio can continue his ways, it might not be a bad idea to play Nico in CF, at least against LHP, and upgrade the bench by having Happ there more often than in the starting lineup. DFA Sogard.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    I must say that this is one of the weirdest looking selling club ever.
    We have Davies/Arrieta/Kimbrel/Tepera/Winkler/Chafin plus Rizzo/Bryant/Baez/Joc to sell. Plus Marisnick/Duffy too I guess. I hope not selling is worth it. We basically have to win a WS this year otherwise not selling isn't worth sacrificing making the next 6+ years weaker (whatever prospects would give us). Talk about going all-in. I believe it was Ken Rosenthal last night on the ESPN broadcast that said he's talks with GMs said pitching is looking very scarce this year and will be something hard to trade for. Guys like Davies/Kimbrel etc would fetch something likely.

The irony is payroll-wise we've spent far less this year than each of the last 3 seasons and are getting equal to better results so far. Hoyer may have accidentally or not accidentally found something, which is the value savings of putting together a fantastic bullpen, which typically costs far, far less than starting pitching and offense in payroll. Our pen can't cost much more than $25 mil, Kimbrel taking up almost all of it, and everyone else besides Chafin making peanuts.

Meanwhile guys like Lester/Arrieta cost 5-6 million each and they aren't even good.
    Last edited by Stratos; 06-14-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If Sergio can continue his ways, it might not be a bad idea to play Nico in CF, at least against LHP, and upgrade the bench by having Happ there more often than in the starting lineup. DFA Sogard.
    We can play Marisnick in CF too though. That's a guy hitting .950 OPS riding the bench and typically only starting against lefties. We're lucky we have a lot of options right now especially with some injuries. Sergio isn't likely to keep this up but it's nice to have while he's playing well, same with Wisdom, who's cooled off as of late (.188 AVG/.562 OPS last 7 days).

I think we've been really lucky this year with the performance of the bench and pen. Almost everything has just worked really well. The last 3 seasons a lot of things have blown up in our faces. I don't think that means Jed is a genius and so much smarter than Theo, I think Jed's been very lucky and Theo very unlucky (since 2018). Winkler, Tepera, and Brothers were on this team last year too.

Guys like Souza, Maybin, Jose Martinez etc could have come in last season and performed well but they just didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    You've never lashed out at me, but to be honest, I noticed that your posts almost seem like a different person is posting for you. Now we know why.

Good luck with whatever issues you may or may have had!
    Thanks a lot man

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    We can play Marisnick in CF too though. That's a guy hitting .950 OPS riding the bench and typically only starting against lefties. We're lucky we have a lot of options right now especially with some injuries. Sergio isn't likely to keep this up but it's nice to have while he's playing well, same with Wisdom, who's cooled off as of late (.188 AVG/.562 OPS last 7 days).

I think we've been really lucky this year with the performance of the bench and pen. Almost everything has just worked really well. The last 3 seasons a lot of things have blown up in our faces. I don't think that means Jed is a genius and so much smarter than Theo, I think Jed's been very lucky and Theo very unlucky (since 2018). Winkler, Tepera, and Brothers were on this team last year too.

Guys like Souza, Maybin, Jose Martinez etc could have come in last season and performed well but they just didn't.
    Itís just crazy how theyíve hit on basically every single bench piece lol except Sogard. Marisnick and Wisdom look like they might be on this team for the next 3-4 years. Alcantara looks like another guy who escaped Detroit and might be a gem. Jock Pederson, is a total Bro and fits into the culture and looks like an everyday player. Duffy might be better than his brother. And my goodness the improvements from Hoerner, KB completely changing his swing, Rizzo looks like 2016 Rizzo.

I think David Ross is the best skipper in the game. This is what industry-leading coaching looks like. What a feeling to have the best coach in the game whoís also a WS hero. Slam dunk move. Iím already convinced that Brennan Davis will be a superstar for no other reason than the raw skills + this culture.
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 06-14-2021 at 12:29 PM.

Theyíve also seemed to escape this myth that you need a star/A type prospect at every position. Itís ok to be like the Rays instead of the Yankees. Platoon the **** out of games. All that matters is the W

I have to laugh at this sentiment that getting cheaper somehow made the Cubs get better pieces. The Cubs have been bargain bin shopping for 4 years. Having better luck this year has more to do with better pitchers moving through the system and an improving pitch lab that's getting better at turning the project guys around. There's absolutely no benefit to spending less money.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast