Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    He's listed at 151 lbs but he doesn't look that small. Yeah HR's could totally be a fluke.

He still has very good speed and a very good glove. Even without the HR if he can hit .260-.270 he can have some value.
    Well, it's less the batting average anyone should be worried about. He should hit that high. He's a good bat to ball guy. But the issue with him is the power. It'll be the difference between scratching out value as a glove guy who you can give 200 PAs to off the bench and a potential low level starter.

Hes got fine speed, but his speed isn't that good. It's a 55 grade. He's above average but that's about it. He's mostly going to survive defensively and batting average. But he does need to show some power. Glad he's getting a little right now. He's been a nice surprise. He's certainly earned a longer look and should make Sogard go away, so he's a win in my book for that fact alone.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

W

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

It's a great day in America, everyone.

Ü

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

Ill admit, i didn't think with this rotation this team would still be playing meaningful games in mid June...
    Im happy

Letís sweep these mother ****ers tomorrow night

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Told you mf we're going to the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Ill admit, i didn't think with this rotation this team would still be playing meaningful games in mid June...
    Im happy

If our pen keeps being really good, in theory we could get by with at least 2 starters not going past 5 innings and rely on that pen to keep runs down. We have 10 arms in the pen right now with Stewart sent down, and we don't need Ortega at the moment (6 OF on roster right now if we're including Bryant) so he could be replaced by another arm too if we needed. In the playoffs you don't need 5 starters so we'd have more flexibility.

By the deadline I think we should grab a very good pen arm, shouldn't cost us much. Hopefully Wick is back before the deadline. Plus another starting pitcher obviously, and figure out our backup catcher situation.

Trevor Bauer leads all qualified starting pitchers in spin rate for 4-seamers, sinkers, cutters, and sliders. That's insane. He did the same last year except he was 2nd in cutter spin rate. No wonder they confiscated his baseballs to check for foreign substance lol.

If our pen keeps being really good, in theory we could get by with at least 2 starters not going past 5 innings and rely on that pen to keep runs down. We have 10 arms in the pen right now with Stewart sent down, and we don't need Ortega at the moment (6 OF on roster right now if we're including Bryant) so he could be replaced by another arm too if we needed. In the playoffs you don't need 5 starters so we'd have more flexibility.

By the deadline I think we should grab a very good pen arm, shouldn't cost us much. Hopefully Wick is back before the deadline. Plus another starting pitcher obviously, and figure out our backup catcher situation.
    That what i hope for too, another solid pen arm, a solid SP, and a bench bat

Trevor Bauer leads all qualified starting pitchers in spin rate for 4-seamers, sinkers, cutters, and sliders. That's insane. He did the same last year except he was 2nd in cutter spin rate. No wonder they confiscated his baseballs to check for foreign substance lol.
    I thought i read that his spin rate has gone down some since they started watching

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Alcantara has 4 home runs in AAA and the MLB so far. Thats more than he's ever hit.

Sometimes guys add a bit of power. But his 5 triples and home runs in the MLB is tied for his best FULL season. This is a bit more than just a wee bit of power. This is...well...for him? A **** ton.

KeBryan Hayes was always someone people believed had 20 home run power. His last run in AAA, as a 23 year old, he had over 40 xBH. Brantly, was super, super young. He made AAA as a 21 year old. And still tagged almost 30 xBH. He took until 27 to really hit anything worthwhile in terms of power, as well. Alcantara has never even been a double's machine. Most years he was lucky to get to 25 xBH. This type of power just has never been in his profile. Sometimes guys develop power, but they usually show signs, like Brantley and Hayes did. Alcantara has never shown it.
    So there's not much BBE to go off of, obviously, but from what we have, I think the "power" could be in there. Not big, but not non-existent. For one, power can "develop" merely from intent, and the bat path. i.e. Kris Bryant's "power" is certainly not shown in the bat speed or the EV, but rather in the intent to get under the ball at the right angle. Weve seen countless examples of this in the statcast era.

So what we have so far in SA is a guy averaging 90 EV. That'll go down as he faces more offspeed probably. But that's plenty of bat speed to hit some HR. But, surprisingly, his launch angle appears to be conducive to "power". The HR he hit tonight was 22 degrees on the LA and 107 on the EV. So there's power in there. Mostly right now we will probably see it when he's sitting dead red. But for all intents and purposes, the "power", the ingredients to hit HR or XBH, appears to be fully alive and well. His average LA, again, on a minuscule sample of BBE, was 11 coming into tonight's game. Hes a tiny guy, but, theoretically, if he average those numbers in his BBE, he would hit some HR.

Like, I believe a lot of this can come from organizational philosophy and development, and then the ability to adapt and apply. I remember reading an article when launch angle first became en vogue. JD Martinez was talking about how some of his old coaches basically forced him to focus on hitting the ball off the L screen in BP. His quote cracked me up so I remember it well. He said, "ok you want me to hit the ball off the L-screen? Well that's a ****ing single" But he knew he had more power in there that was being suppressed by their (Houston's) coaching. They didn't believe he had the ingredients for power but he believed otherwise, and proved it later in his career when he started intending to get the ball in the air as much as possible.

Like take Nico for example. The Cubs believe the power is in there, but it's up to him to adapt his swing and attack with intent. The bat path is simply not conducive to "power", even though he clearly hits the ball hard enough. Until he figures that part out, he'll mostly be a "gap to gap" guy, which is a pretty dumb baseball expression, but a bill in which he fits. His ISO will be built on hustle doubles, grounders down the line, and occasional fence-scrapers.

But from the little bit we see, it seems like Alcantara has the loft in his swing to possibly run into more than expected. But still not likely anything to write home about.

I prefer another SP instead of another RP. Unless there is arm that becomes available and the price is something you cannot pass on, I don't think another RP should be on the shopping list.
    Screw sabermetics.

This team makes no freakin sense. Probably the best performing Cubs team since 2017. Bloody weird.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    This team makes no freakin sense. Probably the best performing Cubs team since 2017. Bloody weird.
    But remember that team underperformed for half a season

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    That what i hope for too, another solid pen arm, a solid SP, and a bench bat

With Duffy and Horner coming back and with what Wisdom and Alcantaria have shown, plus Wick maybe back soon, I'm ok with bench and bp. Just give us one so!id SP, and I'd be happy!

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast