Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2021 MLB Draft Top 5 for Top 3 Picks

So, we are getting close and I have been looking at the draft for a while now since we have three top 40 picks this year. Here are my top 5 prospects at each pick.

Pick #3:
    Marcelo Mayer, SS, HS- Would be a huge get if the other two teams pass on him.
    Jordan Lawlar, SS, HS- Things seemed to cool on him a bit but I still think there is top upside with him.
    Jackson Jobe, RHP, HS- Dude is a stud and I like him as my top pitcher in this draft, even over the Vandy guys.
    Brady House, INF, HS- Not sure he will be a SS and might eventually be a RF with athleticism. Big bat with some K's but solid player with upside.
    Colton Cowser, OF, HS- Bigger athletic kid, a bit of a dark horse with huge upside, I seem to have him higher than most.

Pick #32:
    Anthony Solometo, LHP, HS- Large kid, with really good arm, and make up. Love this kid and hope he is there.
    Josh Hartle, LHP, HS- Another lefty with size. Doesn't have the complete make up as Solometo but big potential here.
    Ryan Cusick, RHP, Wake Forest- First college guy but is a very complete pitcher.
    Doug Nikhazy, LHP, Ole Miss- Very scrappy lefty, who is just coming into his own, very high potential
    Adrian Del Castillo, C, Miami- Squatty catcher with a big time bat. Not the best defensively but LH which will take him a long way.

Pick #39:
    Gavin Williams, RHP, E Carolina- Very good make up and arm. Very high floor but how high will his ceiling be? Three man or two man in rotation?
    Isaac Pacheco, 3B, HS- Big time power and defense. Needs to learn to walk occasionally, but will take that for his power alone.
    Jay Allen, INF, HS- Good all around player that if he hits, will be a big time player. Big potential here.
    Chase Burns, RHP, HS- Big time arm that will take some time to develop but should be well worth the wait.
    Joe Rock, LHP, Ohio U- Nice lefty who is very well rounded. Nothing spectacular but a very solid lefty who will fit mid to upper rotation

If we can go Mayer at 3, Solometo at 32, and Gavin Williams at 39 that is one heck of a draft by AA.

I think the SSs will go top 2. I think we get Leiter or Kumar.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    I think the SSs will go top 2. I think we get Leiter or Kumar.
    Seems like an AA pick but I'm not sold on either of those guys. Both have lost velocity in week or longer stints, I have read where teams are afraid of Leiter's arm due to pitching style, and Kumar most sites are projecting as a bullpen guy. No THANKS. If those two SS are off the board I go with Jobe, House, or Cowser. Those three have some huge upside. AA never listens to me though so we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    Seems like an AA pick but I'm not sold on either of those guys. Both have lost velocity in week or longer stints, I have read where teams are afraid of Leiter's arm due to pitching style, and Kumar most sites are projecting as a bullpen guy. No THANKS. If those two SS are off the board I go with Jobe, House, or Cowser. Those three have some huge upside. AA never listens to me though so we will see.
    I want one of the SS badly. So that means we won't get one. It seems they are going to draft a college guy so they can rush him tbh.

I'm surprised Kumar is projected as a bullpen guy, and why is that a bad thing? Tigers bullpen always sucks

plus couldn't we do the thing that DD used to always do and draft the most MLB ready arm and immediately trade him for more prospects?

"FUBAR for Kumar" isn't a thing anymore? I thought he was a lock for #1 a couple years ago.

Is it like when a true freshman superstar QB lights the world on fire and is projected to go #1 after his true junior season, but kinda plateaus a bit a some other dude overtakes him?

I'm thinking like a Matt Barkley comparison

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I'm surprised Kumar is projected as a bullpen guy, and why is that a bad thing? Tigers bullpen always sucks

plus couldn't we do the thing that DD used to always do and draft the most MLB ready arm and immediately trade him for more prospects?
    you don't draft a bull pen arm at #3. It's dumb af.

After watching Goodrum at shortstop, I am 100% for drafting one.

you don't draft a bull pen arm at #3. It's dumb af.
    so if he projects as a stud BP arm that revolutionizes the game you don't take him?

or we should be antiquated and draft a guy who blows his arm out and never produces?

Go Tigers!

edit: the SS route, I'm not against it, but can they hit? We produce so many slappy SS prospects that never produce and also can't field

bleh, I'm grumpy
    Last edited by GuySir; 06-18-2021 at 01:48 AM.

so if he projects as a stud BP arm that revolutionizes the game you don't take him?

or we should be antiquated and draft a guy who blows his arm out and never produces?

Go Tigers!

edit: the SS route, I'm not against it, but can they hit? We produce so many slappy SS prospects that never produce and also can't field

bleh, I'm grumpy
    You can take Ryan Perry all you want, but I'm not drafting a bull pen #3.

You can take Ryan Perry all you want, but I'm not drafting a bull pen #3.
    OK now you're just poking at me

there's a wide gap between "revolutionary BP arm" and Ryan Perry, aka BP #3

not that there's anything wrong with poking a wide gap

OK now you're just poking at me

there's a wide gap between "revolutionary BP arm" and Ryan Perry, aka BP #3

not that there's anything wrong with poking a wide gap
    I'm white. All gaps are hot dogs and hallways for me.

I want one of the SS badly. So that means we won't get one. It seems they are going to draft a college guy so they can rush him tbh.
    Correct. Jobe it is.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Correct. Jobe it is.
    I'm sure I'm not the first to make this joke, but hopefully his pitches are illusions

I'm sure I'm not the first to make this joke, but hopefully his pitches are illusions

I love you Germano!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast