Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Oubre

Kelly Oubre

Back 2 summers ago I got upon my soapbox for the Knicks to sign Julius Randle, D'Angelo Russell and Kelly Oubre for the future of the team. Julius has proven to be a valuable piece to the future of the team at just 26 years old.

DLo was shipped to GSW then on to the Twolves where he is playing with one of his best friends in Towns so I don't think he will ever be an option for the Knicks.

With the Knicks coaching staff just completely giving up on Kevin Knox, I think we have an opportunity to get my other choice Kelly Oubre...6'8" 215lbs with a 7'3" wingspan. Kid gets better every year and at 25 years old, Thibs will make him a defensive stud ... a better bigger Mykal Bridges and we all saw how he helped destroy the Nuggets last night.

Knicks and Oubre seem to have mutual interest according to multiple media sources and I really like his fit. Don't get me wrong, I like Bullock but he is just not a starter on a contender. Oubre is a natural SF and allows RJ to play his natural SG position. I have no idea who the starting PG will be but I'd rather keep building young than to sell the farm for 31 year old Dame$(who happens to be my favorite PG in the NBA)... his price is just too high!

For now...

Rose / Luca
    RJ / Quick
    Oubre / Bullock
    Julius / Obi
    Mitch / Noel

Burks, Frank and Taj as reserves is a much improved team.

We also have multiple draft picks and cap space to make other reasonable moves.

Oh yeah, we also have the Coach of the Year... can't wait to see what happens this summer.

Pass. He’s inconsistent. I’ve seen him quite a bit. If he was cheap, Id get it. I’m sure he wants to get paid though. How much you trying to pay him?

Boogie, you said he keeps improving every year. He didn’t improve last year. And I don’t think RJs natural position is SG. But ok…I’d move RJ to the 3, and upgrade the guards. But we’ll see
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 06-08-2021 at 08:20 PM.

If it’s a 1+team option, sure.

Pass.

I’d call Portland to see if they would trade us CJ.

5.8/13.2
    2.2/3.2

No Thank You.

From the handful of Golden State Warriors games on TNT and ESPN, Kelly Oubre was serviceable but inconsistent as the Klay Thompson substitute. Unlike Klay, he was horrific on defense. Basically trying to outshoot his opponent but he's not Steph Curry.

Now, the GS Warriors paid him $14M last season. Not bad for a rental.

He should only be taken seriously in case the Knicks strike out at some of the bigger pieces.

Everything comes down to price.

Maybe on a 1 and 1, 12 a year maybe but even then probably not worth kt
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Oubre would be a welcomed addition because he upgrades our shooting, defense, and athleticism. Him and Lonzo would give us a positive youthful roster

This is a few weeks old, but not sure if anyone posted it, so...

Knicks, Kelly Oubre have mutual interest with team desperate for shooting

Point guard isn’t the only crying need for the Knicks as they contemplate August’s free-agency period.

The Knicks still don’t have a bona fide starting small forward and have concerns with their 2018 lottery pick Kevin Knox, who lost his spot in the rotation in late January.

One free agent on their radar is Warriors small forward Kelly Oubre, the 25-year-old out of Kansas. Oubre’s “3-and-D” image took a hit early this season when he got off to a treacherous start and missed 28 of his first 30 3-pointers for his new club.

He got much better, but that beginning dragged down his 3-point percentage for the season, winding up at 31.6 percent. Oubre is an athletic 6-foot-7 slasher with a 7-3 wingspan, right in general manager Scott Perry’s mold. He is known as a solid defender who can hit the 3.

Warriors president Bob Myers said Oubre is part of the long-term plans. But the swingman will entertain offers, as he knows he’ll be on the bench with Klay Thompson’s anticipated return.

According to one source, there is mutual interest between Oubre and the Knicks. The Knicks are one of the few teams who can offer him more than the $9.5 million mid-level exception. Oubre was drafted by the Wizards in 2015 at No. 15 and was traded to Phoenix, where he scored 29 points with three steals against the Knicks in a January 2020 game.

The Knicks need more 3-point shooting/athleticism at that position. While RJ Barrett showed progress from deep, he’s still not as good a finisher at the rim as he should be, according to analytics percentages. Scouts believe he doesn’t protect the ball enough.

Barrett also did not have a good playoffs, shooting just 38.8 percent from the field and 28.6 percent from 3. The Knicks will consider bringing back 3-point shooting swingman Reggie Bullock as they have his early-Bird rights and can go over the salary cap. But the Knicks may need a plug for swingman Alec Burks, who also didn’t perform up to snuff in the playoffs and probably hit his ceiling this season as he looks for big money.

Oubre hasn’t reached his ceiling, and some scouts think being on three teams in five seasons hurt his growth.

Oubre shot 43 percent from 3 on nearly six attempts per game in February. He wound up averaging 15.4 points and 6.0 rebounds for the Warriors and shot 44 percent overall. If the Knicks wind up making an offer for Damian Lillard, the Blazers likely will ask for Barrett as part of the package, but the Knicks still view him as a building block.

Knox’s status with the organization is a mystery wrapped in a riddle. They brought in Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne to get the best out of him, but he regressed.

Thibodeau didn’t like his defensive motor. The Knicks coach was in win-now mode as the season wore on, not looking to waste as much time on development as previously thought. Ironically, Knox shot 39. 3 percent from 3-point range in his brief outings (35 of 89).

Despite their 41-31 record, the Knicks need more outside shooting from the swingman position, as Atlanta busted them up in the playoffs. Atlanta added 3-point shooters in Bogdan Bogdanovic and Danilo Gallinari — two players Thibodeau wanted.

After being eliminated Wednesday, Thibodeau, in his last comments, noted the Hawks’ potent 2020 free agency.

“Atlanta really added some good pieces to complement Trae (Young) and I think that helped them,’’ Thibodeau said. “You look at how you match up with the teams — you start with the division, then you look at the conference, then you look at the league. Then you see where you might have opportunities, whether it’s through the draft or free agency or trades, your own player development. All four areas factor into it.”

According to a source, the Knicks are closely monitoring the Hawks-Sixers series as another tool to judge their five-game ouster in which they were blown out in the final three contests. Some in the organization believe the Hawks have been underestimated, and are better than their 41-31 record suggests due to their midseason coaching change.

The Hawks’ Game 1 victory over the Sixers did nothing to dispel the theory.
    https://nypost.com/2021/06/07/knicks...tual-interest/

Knicks aren’t alone in Kelly Oubre free agency interest

The Knicks aren’t the only team interested in Kelly Oubre Jr.

The Post’s Marc Berman reported Monday that the Knicks and the Warriors forward have mutual interest. Oubre, who will hit the free agent market this summer, has also piqued the interest of the Heat and the Spurs, according to Yahoo Sports.

The Warriors could still try and Oubre back as the team previously said he was part of their long-term plans.

However, Oubre, who turned 25 in December, will likely be coming off the bench when Klay Thompson returns from a torn right Achilles he suffered in November 2020.

Oubre is reportedly looking for a bigger payday in the open market.

He feels confident he can get over $20 million per year on a long-term deal, according to Michael Scotto of HoopsHype Podcast.
    In 2020-21, Oubre made under $14.4 million with the Warriors.

At 6-foot-7 with a 7-3 wingspan, Oubre has a lot of promise to add athleticism, shooting, and elite defending wherever he lands in free agency.
    https://nypost.com/2021/06/11/nba-fr...ubre-interest/

ATL was definitely underestimated, and they are beating PHI without Hunter too.

Here's the thing. The Knicks reportedly have mutual interest in Kelly Oubre but...BUT....if you watched the Golden State games, Kelly Oubre definitely depended on Steph Curry to set him up.

Are the Knicks getting Ball? Lowry? Anyone?

Nate McMillan who played against Charles Barkley's Suns is familiar with how to make things difficult for a passing Power Forward. The Hawks handcuffed the Randle and slapped the Knicks around...then made copies for the league to look at.

If the Knicks don't prioritize a point guard, this will be an expensive splurge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    Here's the thing. The Knicks reportedly have mutual interest in Kelly Oubre but...BUT....if you watched the Golden State games, Kelly Oubre definitely depended on Steph Curry to set him up.

Are the Knicks getting Ball? Lowry? Anyone?

Nate McMillan who played against Charles Barkley's Suns is familiar with how to make things difficult for a passing Power Forward. The Hawks handcuffed the Randle and slapped the Knicks around...then made copies for the league to look at.

If the Knicks don't prioritize a point guard, this will be an expensive splurge.
    If the Knicks can't get elite point guard that should not mean they don't get the best available wing player they can this off-season. You add the BPA and if you strike out at PG you keep the process going til next off-season and continue to build piece by piece.

Quote Originally Posted by flimflamman View Post
    If the Knicks can't get elite point guard that should not mean they don't get the best available wing player they can this off-season. You add the BPA and if you strike out at PG you keep the process going til next off-season and continue to build piece by piece.
    Who is this elite point guard?

I've seen more talk about Bobby Portis returning than any other point guard. Boston Celtics and OKC Thunder wasted no time jockeying in position for the upcoming draft.

Meanwhile the Knicks with "Bean Counter" Brock Aller is acting like he's working at Kresge store that is barely in business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast