Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hiring alleged abusers in a progressive league

Damian Lillard pissed off some Portland fans by recommending the Trail Blazers hire Jason Kidd or Chauncey Billups, two players with a history of convicted and alleged abuse.
    How heavily do or should morals play into hiring decisions in the NBA, considering its progressive image? How bad does someone's behavior have to be until they're discarded?
    Kidd accepted a plea deal in 2001 for hitting his wife. A summary of her divorce proceedings accuses him of serial philandering, binge drinking, problem gambling, and repeated physical abuse.
    Billups and teammate Ron Mercer settled a civil suit from 1997 allegation that they and a third person raped a woman in Antoine Walker's Boston home while players for the Celtics. The police found her injuries consistent with sexual assault.
    Kidd has coached multiple teams and is still getting interest. Billups is a telecaster and now being seen as a potential coach.
    “The hardest part about all of this is that Damian Lillard, an incredibly active and philanthropic member of our community, is the one throwing these names out there,” says Ashtyn Butuso, a longtime Blazers fan and founder of Flagrant magazine, a women-created basketball publication. “Dame is a person too; it’s possible he just doesn’t understand how gruesome the allegations are.”
    - Eric Griffith, Willamette Week
    Why are teams looking past these guys' histories? Do they just not see it as important? Are there not enough quality candidates who don't have abuse allegations in their past?
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 06-08-2021 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Damian Lillard pissed off some Portland fans by recommending the Trail Blazers hire Jason Kidd or Chauncey Billups, two players with a history of convicted and alleged abuse.
    How heavily do or should morals play into hiring decisions in the NBA, considering its progressive image? How bad does someone's behavior have to be until they're discarded?
    Kidd accepted a plea deal in 2001 for hitting his wife. A summary of her divorce proceedings accuses him of serial philandering, binge drinking, problem gambling, and repeated physical abuse.
    Billups and teammate Ron Mercer settled a civil suit from 1997 allegation that they and a third person raped a woman in Antoine Walker's Boston home while players for the Celtics. The police found her injuries consistent with sexual assault.
    Kidd has coached multiple teams and is still getting interest. Billups is a telecaster and now being seen as a potential coach.

Why are teams looking past these guys' histories? Do they just not see it as important? Are there not enough quality candidates who don't have abuse allegations in their past?
    We had a president who paid off a hooker with campaign contributions, openly joked he would grab a reporter by the *****, incited a riot, misused political power to try and fix the election, and he's walking around Scot-free and is being championed to run again.

Billups allegedly raped someone (no criminal, only civil charges) 24 years ago, and now let's bring out the torches?

How long is to long ago? Do you know what he's done with himself in the last 24 years? How those working around him would characterize him?

These guys are billionaires. If there was anything they needed to know about what type of people these guys are, I would hope they can find it, and that if either guy was hired they did their due diligence.

I had no idea about the Billups incident. Wow.

I don't care if Trump was elected, still shouldn't hire/elect people with that type of past. You have to expect the worse for Americans lol
    Last edited by blams; 06-08-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Because they were both over 20 years ago...

You don't think a 20 year old man is different than a 40 year old man?

This isn't Aldon Smith we're talking about here who has multiple convictions.

Kidd is on the Lakers staff and Billups on the Clippers staff, does that not matter?

Are people just indefinitely gonna hold things over people?

It's almost like bringing something up 36 years later...

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Because they were both over 20 years ago...

You don't think a 20 year old man is different than a 40 year old man?

This isn't Aldon Smith we're talking about here who has multiple convictions.

Kidd is on the Lakers staff and Billups on the Clippers staff, does that not matter?

Are people just indefinitely gonna hold things over people?

It's almost like bringing something up 36 years later...
    While in a way I don't disagree with this (because there's so few people without something in their past that can be pointed to as problematic); I think teams doing their research and feeling comfortable with it is very important. And because of that I don't think it's a bad thing to ask teams to justify why they are ok with it.

In these cases I have a bigger issue with the fact that Kidd has already sucked hard as a HC at TWO stops. Billups was an announcer and decent, but is on the bench for a rather disappointing Clippers team this season with Craig and Atkinson likely doing more.

And speaking of Kenny Atkinson...why is his name not coming up at all for any job? He did a great job with an undermanned Nets team for years in terms of talent.

Everyone knows the Kidd news, but I never knew about the Billups' case—that definitely puts the man in a negative light I hadn't seen before.

I think the question OP has raised depends on two factors:
    1. How much do we trust the justice system to punish those professional athletes who abuse others and trust their ultimate judgments, and should we take civil settlements as proof of innocence or guilt?
    2. How much time does it take before public perception should let someone off the hook for those abuses?

Look at Kobe's legacy. His case was settled and he was still labeled a rapist for years before public perception let it go. After his death, there were a few articles that brought it back up again, but the world saw it as a tragedy and any wrongdoing that he committed in that case was mostly washed over. Before his death, the man won an Oscar and was involved in a number of different public things. The world forgave him.

The world has clearly mostly forgotten the Kidd and Billups cases, too, since they've both gotten high profile jobs since their retirement and will both likely be members of the Hall of Fame. Billups' situation is similar to Kobe—settled in a civil case. But Kidd plead guilty in his case, so do we treat him any differently than Billups and Kobe? Or because all of these cases are more than 20 years old, is that enough time to forgive them?

My wife and I were talking recently about Deshaun Watson, us being Houstonians and having watched his allegations closely the last few months. She and I both agree that, even if Watson settles all these cases, there's an element of guilt in that, and someone who can do something like that so many times shouldn't get to make millions of dollars a year and be a famous, successful athlete. Being a professional athlete shouldn't be a right just because you can throw a football or sink a three-pointer. It should be a privilege given to those who can also treat other human beings with respect and abide by the same laws everyone else does.

I know that's a naive, idealistic thought. But wouldn't it be nice if the famous and wealthy were treated the same as us "regular" people when it came to crime and punishment? Now, does that mean guys like Billups and Kidd shouldn't get any future jobs because of cases that were settled in the courts more than two decades ago? No, but I definitely wouldn't criticize any team that doesn't want to hire someone with a criminal background like that, even if it was 20+ years ago.

What did that attention whore do to kidd to get touched up? Anyone know

Didn’t know about Billips stuff but Kidd has been a piece of **** as long as I’ve known about him. **** that guy. For everyone saying it was in the past and move on, let me ask you, would you be cool with your daughter or mother being in a relationship with a guy like that? What about pedophiles? After their sentence is over would you want them around you or your family? You want these guys representing your team/franchise/city?

I know if you dig deep enough you’ll find problematic people everywhere but dang, we can’t hold serial shitbags like Kidd to a higher standard? It wasn’t even a one time thing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    What did that attention whore do to kidd to get touched up? Anyone know
    The expected trash Chronz post. So pathetic.

Kidd is still garbage though. He was putrid with Giannis. He broke Giannis rookie shooting form. Sam Cassell is the guy to check out for a new coach. Well respected around the league. Player in the league. I'm hoping Bud is fired and Bucks sign Cassell as coach.

Pretty sure Karl Malone has a statue in front of the Jazz arena and he impregnated a 13 year old when he was 20.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Pretty sure Karl Malone has a statue in front of the Jazz arena and he impregnated a 13 year old when he was 20.
    Could you imagine a bunch of mostly white NRA dudes rallying to save a Karl Malone statue? It'd be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, there’s just something there that makes it seem like people from that area don’t care…….can’t quite put my finger on it but for some reason, but people that live in that area and support that team seem to also…..I’m not sure. They seem to be ok with it for some reason……

It's one thing to have "improper behavior" in your past ... hell at one point 20+ years ago I knew the personal "grooming" habits of all the women in the office and now that sort of behavior would be a MAJOR issue.

But rape and assault (let alone serial assault) is a different thing. There is a reason job applications routinely ask about past legal issues.

That said, someone publicly pointed out Kobe's shady past recently and his wife replied that the true story wasn't known, and in the case of bad behavior by wealthy people the reality is we will never really know the actual truth.

I believe that once you pay your debt to society you should be totally forgiven as if you'd never done it. In their case their "debt" was apparently financial and kind a shady but society has decided that's good enough so I'm going to have to be fine with it.

Advice for professional athletes… even a vets min player makes a mill a year. You don’t need to force yourself on a woman. There are services that you can pay for and have your needs met.

I always find these athletes who get charged for sexual harassment or even rape as people who have some sort of mental disorder because they really don’t need to put them selves in that situation unless of course there is something wrong with them that causes them to do so.

Billups,, Kobe (rip) as much as I loved the players what they did was extremely stupid. Beyond fathomable. And Kobe god rest his soul had 3 daughters. Enough said

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast