Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Overall the biggest criticism against Wentz is that he tries to do too much. Thatís easily the biggest criticism against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I've gathered as well. It was also Luck's biggest flaw as well.

Here's a pretty fair article about Wentz/sacks taken:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/film/we...rce=reddit.com

Worth a read if anyone cares. It's probably nothing new to to Eagles fans, pretty much confirms that his biggest issue is not taking what the defense gives him.

Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    This is what I've gathered as well. It was also Luck's biggest flaw as well.

Here's a pretty fair article about Wentz/sacks taken:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/film/we...rce=reddit.com

Worth a read if anyone cares. It's probably nothing new to to Eagles fans, pretty much confirms that his biggest issue is not taking what the defense gives him.
    It's kinda funny to me how there's some guys that can build an entire career off of this (Big Ben, Russ Huss, Free Willy Watson) and it's never really an issue with them because either they can play through injuries (Ben), hit enough big plays (Russell), or just no one really notices (DeShaun).

I think the reason it's so noticeable with Wentz that he's trying to do too much is there is a lack of positive plays out of these situations from him to really make it a positive. He doesn't just dump the ball off every now and then, he doesn't just throw it away, he's getting less and less shy at just getting yards out of a play, and he takes the risky throw rather than the one that opened up.

I think Wentz's big problem compared to those three has 3 major parts:
    1 - When he scrambles, he doesn't feel the pressure, he sees it. This means he's taking his eyes off the downfield throws and it paying attention to what's more in front of him. I'm not too sure how you get him past this issue.

2 - He drifts back. Wilson has this problem too but is much faster, so he can make it work. If I were Reich I think I put a ton of video of Ben and Watson on for Wentz to show him how they escape sideways and towards the LOS to extend plays. This makes the defense stretch even more vertically, because even as slow as Ben is anymore, they respect the fact he can get 5-6 yards going for it. But it also stretches them horizontally to get the whole field covered.

3 - When he drifts back and watches the rush, he's unable to manipulate the safeties with his eyes, so they don't move, and he can't help one guy just break free and get wide open. Ben has his pump fake, Wilson has his moon ball to the opposite side, Watson has his off platform throws. All those things move defenders and get this "doing too much" to look like "great plays". Wentz for sure needs to find a go to move that can really just open things up when he's moving like that.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    It's kinda funny to me how there's some guys that can build an entire career off of this (Big Ben, Russ Huss, Free Willy Watson) and it's never really an issue with them because either they can play through injuries (Ben), hit enough big plays (Russell), or just no one really notices (DeShaun).

I think the reason it's so noticeable with Wentz that he's trying to do too much is there is a lack of positive plays out of these situations from him to really make it a positive. He doesn't just dump the ball off every now and then, he doesn't just throw it away, he's getting less and less shy at just getting yards out of a play, and he takes the risky throw rather than the one that opened up.

I think Wentz's big problem compared to those three has 3 major parts:
    1 - When he scrambles, he doesn't feel the pressure, he sees it. This means he's taking his eyes off the downfield throws and it paying attention to what's more in front of him. I'm not too sure how you get him past this issue.

2 - He drifts back. Wilson has this problem too but is much faster, so he can make it work. If I were Reich I think I put a ton of video of Ben and Watson on for Wentz to show him how they escape sideways and towards the LOS to extend plays. This makes the defense stretch even more vertically, because even as slow as Ben is anymore, they respect the fact he can get 5-6 yards going for it. But it also stretches them horizontally to get the whole field covered.

3 - When he drifts back and watches the rush, he's unable to manipulate the safeties with his eyes, so they don't move, and he can't help one guy just break free and get wide open. Ben has his pump fake, Wilson has his moon ball to the opposite side, Watson has his off platform throws. All those things move defenders and get this "doing too much" to look like "great plays". Wentz for sure needs to find a go to move that can really just open things up when he's moving like that.
    His best WRs that heís played with, not TEs, arenít anywhere close to the talent level that the guys you listed have had in their careers. While a lot of this is on Wentz, he has never had THAT guy to go out and make those types of plays. The closest he has had were Alshon and Ags in 17 and itís no coincidence he looked his best that season.

That said, I donít disagree with some of the things you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    His best WRs that heís played with, not TEs, arenít anywhere close to the talent level that the guys you listed have had in their careers. While a lot of this is on Wentz, he has never had THAT guy to go out and make those types of plays. The closest he has had were Alshon and Ags in 17 and itís no coincidence he looked his best that season.

And while I donít 100% disagree I also donít 100% agree.

Wentzís WRs do get to the ďopenĒ category according to NFL next gen stats. Plenty of QBs have better stats going at smaller windows than Wentz.

I think with more defense manipulation it would be much easier to shift the conversation to WR problems. Because he would be throwing to more one on one or moving free defenders more and giving WRs a better chance. Not saying this makes Reagor and award superstar WRs, but they also arenít that bad either.

The only issue I take with the ďbad WRsĒ take is that even great WRs donít beat their man every play and it is up to the QB to make a play sometimes. And what we have seen from Wentz would worry me. Especially since, IMO, Indy doesnít have that guy either on the outside; so he needs to play within the offense and let the running game do itís thing.

Do I think anyone other than Roseman was that bad last year? No. But it was the wrong HC working with the wrong QB who had the wrong WRs to throw to who had the wrong OLine buying them time who had the wrong medical staff overseeing everything.

Ultimately what donned the 2020 Eagles? No the QB traded. Not the HC fired. Not the WR, DL, OL that have been cut. It was the GM.

The GM who kept playing favorites. The GM who kept extending and restructuring aging players. The GM who didnít draft well at all (how about this one, 2021 Eagles defense only has 3 starters projected that were drafted by the Eagles).

This thread is about Carson Wentz. Not sure why other players, especially QBs, are being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

DangeRuss was doing his thing though when he was still throwing to Baldwin and Kearse.

Didnít Nunuu start this thread? Why is my name suddenly there?
    Not a big deal but just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    See. This is why I cant have nice things.

It looks like a bunch of posts from other threads were moved here and yours is now the first post. Thread jacker.
    Last edited by Nunuu; 06-10-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Looks like war put on his mod hat.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    More like I'm not in the hospital so I got to a computer.

Mod helmet is more like it

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

DangeRuss was doing his thing though when he was still throwing to Baldwin and Kearse.
    I'd have given my left nut for Baldwin compared to others that Wentz was throwing to.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    This thread is about Carson Wentz. Not sure why other players, especially QBs, are being discussed.

Keep it on topic.

I'd have given my left nut for Baldwin compared to others that Wentz was throwing to.
    No, you would be complaining that he only has Baldwin and Kearse to throw to.

And Russell had nothing to do with a 5-10 udfa finding success in the league?

Because I feel like in reverse youíd say wentz was responsible for his success

Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast