Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 LastLast

Thread: Trade Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Yeah I wouldíve passed on that, too. Iím fine with not getting him at that price, but Bryant? What did Kimbrel go for? And why give away anything of value for Baez and cash? I donít understand.
    Nick Madrigal who is a good young major league talent. Not a prospect (a former top 50 one) but a guy they can plug in next year when he comes back from injury and can hit. Baez was worth a good prospect, just not PCA. I'm not sure the Mets were going to make that type of move until Cohen put pressure on them to make a deal. Once that happened, they presumably backed themselves into a corner and panicked. This cash considerations crap is stupid though. If they could have gotten Baez and Williams for a lesser prospect and all they had to do was eat the rest of their remaining deals, they should have done so.

deGrom's questionable status leading up to and on the deadline made things difficult for the front office.

When he threw on the side the other day but didn't follow it up the next day -- he likes to throw every day -- and the club sheepishly refused to comment other than Rojas not calling it progress, I knew something was up.

Rather than be bold, they were relatively cautious. What I don't get is why they didn't get more pitching help if they knew he was out another month, and Banda would be our late option in a 2-run game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    deGrom's questionable status leading up to and on the deadline made things difficult for the front office.

When he threw on the side the other day but didn't follow it up the next day -- he likes to throw every day -- and the club sheepishly refused to comment other than Rojas not calling it progress, I knew something was up.

Rather than be bold, they were relatively cautious. What I don't get is why they didn't get more pitching help if they knew he was out another month, and Banda would be our late option in a 2-run game.
    Yeah this was a big part of it too. That news about deGrom coming down the afternoon of the deadline put them in a rock and a hard place type situation. If that happens a week before the deadline, they're more focused on finding a solid SP. Their plans were to have deGrom back and not it be in September so they were cautious buyers. The hope is they got Baez, and a returning Lindor, deGrom and Syndergaard will help them down the stretch to win the division and make a playoff run.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-31-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Nick Madrigal who is a good young major league talent. Not a prospect (a former top 50 one) but a guy they can plug in next year when he comes back from injury and can hit. Baez was worth a good prospect, just not PCA. I'm not sure the Mets were going to make that type of move until Cohen put pressure on them to make a deal. Once that happened, they presumably backed themselves into a corner and panicked. This cash considerations crap is stupid though. If they could have gotten Baez and Williams for a lesser prospect and all they had to do was eat the rest of their remaining deals, they should have done so.
    Itís also one of those things where a player tries to make it easy for a team - admitting that he wants to test free agency and play with Lindor if possible - and we trade for him anyway. Thatís some Jimmy Dolan **** right there. Bet you dollars to doughnuts he wouldíve signed here in the winter regardless of where he was traded to.

If Baez were the final piece? Okay then. But weíre not a significantly better team with him, unless he magically ignites the underperforming hitters to start smashing again.

Itís also one of those things where a player tries to make it easy for a team - admitting that he wants to test free agency and play with Lindor if possible - and we trade for him anyway. Thatís some Jimmy Dolan **** right there. Bet you dollars to doughnuts he wouldíve signed here in the winter regardless of where he was traded to.

If Baez were the final piece? Okay then. But weíre not a significantly better team with him, unless he magically ignites the underperforming hitters to start smashing again.
    The Mets needed a bat anyways so I'm not opposed to the concept. They just picked the wrong player imo and didn't do enough in tandem with getting Baez. If they were going to get Baez then get Baez and Kimbrel. Trevor Williams is inconsequential.

If there is their way of endearing themselves to him and hoping he gives them some major discount in FA, I doubt that happens anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yeah this was a big part of it too. That news about deGrom coming down the afternoon of the deadline put them in a rock and a hard place type situation. If that happens a week before the deadline, they're more focused on finding a solid SP. Their plans were to have deGrom back and not it be in September so they were cautious buyers. The hope is they got Baez, and a returning Lindor, deGrom and Syndergaard will help them down the stretch to win the division and make a playoff run.
    I think they also realized after his initial throwing session that this was not the year to sell off prime assets because without Jake it would be highly unlikely to have enough to make a deep run.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    I think they also realized after his initial throwing session that this was not the year to sell off prime assets because without Jake it would be highly unlikely to have enough to make a deep run.
    Well the Mets might win this division even without deGrom. Obviously they are hoping this is his last setback but the way his season has been, that's unlikely. Any further setback ends his season.

I am upset we didn't do enough but I am not upset about getting Baez. The price was steep and wish we didn't take cash consideration but probably the price for Baez with or without cash wasn't a huge difference. I know Bryant seems like a better fit but with Lindor out a month and more, I don't know if that is necessarily true either. Getting a SS is important and Baez can play 2B and 3B

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/javier-...mpression=true

Apparently berrios cost McNeil and Alvarez and another top 7 prospect

Yeah I wouldíve passed on that, too. Iím fine with not getting him at that price, but Bryant? What did Kimbrel go for? And why give away anything of value for Baez and cash? I donít understand.
    My only issue is Bryant went for 2 much lesser prospects than Baez did. That makes no sense

There's no reason we traded the best prospect of the deadline for a rental that was Baez.

Bryant and Marte would have made us a better team and they went for less. Package for Gallo with an extra year of control gave no prospects better than PCA, neither did Richard Rodriguez who's got 2 additional years left.

I'm fine with adding Baez, but why does it seem we paid the steepest price?

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/javier-...mpression=true

Apparently berrios cost McNeil and Alvarez and another top 7 prospect

Yea forget Berrios. We probably couldn't and shouldn't top that TOR offer. Same for Kimbrel.

Madrigal might be a perennial batting title contender at the top of the lineup starting next year. He's a ****ing fantastic hitter. We couldn't beat that unless we offered McNeil and a very high prospect.

But.... We paid more than the market dictated. Don't think that can be denied.

I agree and it probably was because of the cash consideration. Although the one thing I'd say is PCA has a really bad injury so maybe the way we as fans value him is very different than the way the industry values him. Especially since the injury could hurt one of his biggest values

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/stat...74453196029959

Seems Mets wanted Bryant but the Cubs wanted to make sure all three were traded so they kept redirecting to Baez.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/stat...50881635356679

And we contacted for Gibson and they already finished with Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Did any team give a better prospect for a rental?

Who is the better all around player, Bryant or Baez?

Which return would you rather have, Crow-Armstrong or Canario/Killian?
    I prefer Bryant but Bryant canít play SS.

Crow is injured and had 32 PA professionally. His value will never be higher than it is now. He is going to have to perform when he gets back because the luster of being a #1 prospect is already fading.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."