Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 307 1231151101 ... LastLast

2021 Lakers offseason - Rumors, Trade ideas, FA, latest news

Like what Iron said, It's going to be a 4-month timeout til' Lakers bball is back again

For the time being let's try to keep this thread busy!

Under contract: Kyle Kuzma, Marc Gasol, James, Davis, Caldwell-Pope
    2021 Draft Pick: $2.26 million in starting salary

NBA luxury tax threshold: $136.6 million
    NBA hard cap, if triggered: $143 million

The team carries only 14 players through the season

Player option: Montrezl Harrell (Harrell will almost certainly opt out of the second year of his contract ($9.7 million) for the chance to earn a wealthier deal elsewhere. At worst, he can re-sign in Los Angeles with a relatively small raise ($11.1 million), not a dollar more.)

RFAs: THT, Cacok, Kostas

UFAs:
    Dennis Schroder (Bird)
    Alex Caruso (Bird)
    Markieff Morris (Early Bird)
    Jared Dudley (Early Bird)
    Wesley Matthews (Non Bird)
    Ben McLemore (Non Bird)

Andre Drummond (Non Bird) Can be resigned via
    the taxpayer mid-level exception (projected at $5.9 million) or;
    the non-taxpayer mid-level exception ($9.5 million).

The former would solve many of the Lakers' issues, allowing them to spend freely to re-sign other free agents

Should Drummond accept the latter, the Lakers would once again have a "hard cap," which projects to be $143 million next season. With Drummond at $9.5 million, it becomes impossible for the Lakers to keep the entire team together. And that's assuming Drummond is even willing to take a below-market contract to stay.

(A one-year deal for Drummond at $9.5 million with the Lakers would enable him to earn a starting salary at approximately $16.7 million the following year via early Bird rights)

Unless THT can make a significant leap.. my priorities would be a premiere playmaker via trade that would man the offense everytime LBJ would have to sit

Then 3/Ds: Wes Matthews, Danny Green, Tony Snell
    Then more shooters: Wayne Ellington, Ben McLemore, Alec Burks
    Then bigs: Drummond (TPMLE), Howard (VM), Noel/Whiteside/Theis (MLE)

Keef Morris@Keefmorris11h
    Thanks for the love and the support from #LakersNation this year! It was good to see you guys back in the staples! I know we came up short but we got some unfinished business!! I’ll just leave it at that! #Lakeshow

Ryan Ward@RyanWardLA Jun 5
    Wes Matthews: "There's no doubt that I want to run it back" with the Lakers.

Ryan Ward@RyanWardLAJun 5
    Frank Vogel hopes Andre Drummond is a Laker "for a long time."

Phil Handy@94feetofgame Jun 5
    When people ask me if I’m good? I’m forever blessed! Legendary run for me personally 6 straight @nba
    #finals and 3 rings later Exploding head. Never could have dreamt it. Not the way the @lakers
    envisioned our season but it makes me #injuries are an unfortunate part of this game.

Audel Del Toro@CantBeatAudel Jun 6
    “The Lakers acceded to his request to start, & continued negotiating w/ his representatives on a rich contract extension, But his play on the court frustrated some in the organization, according to sources.”

PerSourcesENT@LakeShowSeasonJun 6
    Lakers reportedly interested in Doug McBuckets too. That Hield trade + Doug brings some nice shooting and shot making ability to the roster

Lakers Legacy@LakersLegacyPod Jun 4
    Going to be interesting to hear the rumors on Draft Night surrounding the Lakers #22 1st Rounder and other players currently under contract such as Kuz and KCP.

New Mexico (by way of Long Beach, California)
    Could we trade Kuzma and someone else for Buddy Hield and Hassan Whiteside? Or do you think Hield is paid too much?

New Mexico (by way of Long Beach, California)
    Or maybe Kuzma, 1st round pick, and fillers for Malcom Brogdon or Jerami Grant?

Quote Originally Posted by SoylentGreen View Post
    Could we trade Kuzma and someone else for Buddy Hield and Hassan Whiteside? Or do you think Hield is paid too much?
    Really seems like Kuz (who will be makin13m this coming season) will be the primary trade chip if they do decide to put him on the block. With regards to Buddy Hield though, yea you're right he's getting paid too much that you'd have to give up both Kuz/KCP to make salaries match.

Not sure if that's ideal since KCP is klutch and he's a far better defender than Hield. I'm torn between the idea of sending out Kuz for a shooter (CHA s&t) or for a playmaker (Minn).

My eyes are on Devonté Graham or Ricky Rubio. The latter is making 17m ish so you'll probably have to add another piece to make the salaries match. I think Kuz can be traded for RFA Graham straight up via s&t.

Kuzma with LaMelo would be a nice combo.

Quote Originally Posted by SoylentGreen View Post
    Or maybe Kuzma, 1st round pick, and fillers for Malcom Brogdon or Jerami Grant?
    Trust me... if Jerami Grant was a realistic option, he'd be on top of my list. Well see what Detroit does.

Maybe RP of Klutch could work out a deal for Trez, too. He gets a slight raise, picks up his PO with the promise of getting him to his preferred team of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mave1002 View Post
    Trust me... if Jerami Grant was a realistic option, he'd be on top of my list. Well see what Detroit does.

Maybe RP of Klutch could work out a deal for Trez, too. He gets a slight raise, picks up his PO with the promise of getting him to his preferred team of choice.
    If reports are true that Detroit turned down three 1sts from Boston for Grant then we see how much they value Grant. IMO it would have to be a "blow me away" offer to get him.

I can see Detroit as a team that could be interested in DS to pair with Grant. IMO finding a trade partner for DS (S/T) should be very high on our priority list because of our lack of cap space. Letting DS just walk w/o getting anything in return is like letting $20M of future tradable assets just walk away.

I know we're not gonna get much for DS but just getting close to $20M in expiring contracts that we can later flip in a bigger deal is ideal. We really haven't been able to do much at the TDs because of the lack of big expiring deals to salary match, we would of had to send out 4-5 players in deals.

From Detroit give me Joseph (Klutch) and Jackson for DS (S/T). Nothing special about the 2 but I believe both can fill a role on our Lakers and between the 2 thats $17.5M in expiring deals. The thing I like about Joseph is that he's very disciplined, he's never out of control. That's a major issue with THT right now, he's at times out of control with no discipline. IMO bringing in Joseph could help in the development of THT. Jackson also is nothing special, a bust. But IMO he's a Vogel guy, if there's a coach that I believe can bring out the best in Jackson it's Vogel. Jackson ain't no pretty boy punk either, he's a rough rider. He's a player that would be quick to have our stars back when games/series get physical.

As for Trez, a trade that just sticks out to me is to Portland for Covington straight up. Trez can just leave on his own if he chooses so getting something for him is also very high on my list of priorities. Definately more then trading Kuzma that we can trade later on in the season. I think that Trez could be fire in Portland playing alongside Dame, CJ & Nurkic. Nurkic also being Klutch can help this deal.

I also think Covington is another player that would excel in Vogels defensive system.
    "My cow is dead, I don't need your bull"

Really seems like Kuz (who will be makin13m this coming season) will be the primary trade chip if they do decide to put him on the block. With regards to Buddy Hield though, yea you're right he's getting paid too much that you'd have to give up both Kuz/KCP to make salaries match.

Not sure if that's ideal since KCP is klutch and he's a far better defender than Hield. I'm torn between the idea of sending out Kuz for a shooter (CHA s&t) or for a playmaker (Minn).

My eyes are on Devonté Graham or Ricky Rubio. The latter is making 17m ish so you'll probably have to add another piece to make the salaries match. I think Kuz can be traded for RFA Graham straight up via s&t.

Kuzma with LaMelo would be a nice combo.
    What do you think about Satoransky from Chicago? S/T DS for Satoransky & either Aminu or Young. Satoransky can be a better shooting Rubio for us. The other just a big expiring we can trade later.

Quote Originally Posted by McAllen Tx View Post
    What do you think about Satoransky from Chicago? S/T DS for Satoransky & either Aminu or Young. Satoransky can be a better shooting Rubio for us. The other just a big expiring we can trade later.
    Looks underrated. Looks like a tweener if you ask me, no? If he can play defense, I wouldn't mind taking him as the cheaper option. Honestly if his name was Kirk Hinrich or something, he'd probably get the max. lol

What I like about Rubio though is that he's a seasoned vet, who'd be a star in his role and would work very well with Marc and a couple of shooters. Those two dudes would run the same set over and over when they played for the Spanish national team. [Marc or Pau]-shooter-shooter-shooter-[Calderon or Rubio].

We need someone as steady (and championship hungry) as RR to operate the second unit. Issue though would be.. who to trade him for. Like, I'd gladly send Kuz away but who else?
    Last edited by Mave1002; 06-07-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McAllen Tx View Post
    If reports are true that Detroit turned down three 1sts from Boston for Grant then we see how much they value Grant. IMO it would have to be a "blow me away" offer to get him.

I can see Detroit as a team that could be interested in DS to pair with Grant. IMO finding a trade partner for DS (S/T) should be very high on our priority list because of our lack of cap space. Letting DS just walk w/o getting anything in return is like letting $20M of future tradable assets just walk away.

I know we're not gonna get much for DS but just getting close to $20M in expiring contracts that we can later flip in a bigger deal is ideal. We really haven't been able to do much at the TDs because of the lack of big expiring deals to salary match, we would of had to send out 4-5 players in deals.

From Detroit give me Joseph (Klutch) and Jackson for DS (S/T). Nothing special about the 2 but I believe both can fill a role on our Lakers and between the 2 thats $17.5M in expiring deals. The thing I like about Joseph is that he's very disciplined, he's never out of control. That's a major issue with THT right now, he's at times out of control with no discipline. IMO bringing in Joseph could help in the development of THT. Jackson also is nothing special, a bust. But IMO he's a Vogel guy, if there's a coach that I believe can bring out the best in Jackson it's Vogel. Jackson ain't no pretty boy punk either, he's a rough rider. He's a player that would be quick to have our stars back when games/series get physical.

As for Trez, a trade that just sticks out to me is to Portland for Covington straight up. Trez can just leave on his own if he chooses so getting something for him is also very high on my list of priorities. Definately more then trading Kuzma that we can trade later on in the season. I think that Trez could be fire in Portland playing alongside Dame, CJ & Nurkic. Nurkic also being Klutch can help this deal.

I also think Covington is another player that would excel in Vogels defensive system.
    How possible would that be? he could freely sign with anyone straight up just annoy the Lakers if he knew that the FO wouldn't be interested.

Regarding Jerami Grant... I think he'll be a hot commodity especially for teams who'll have lotto picks.

Not sure but I'm thinking Bob Myers has something up his sleeve this offseason. The NBA might give the Warriors another high lotto pick. It seemed like they were also trying to check who'll take Wiseman just in case they decide to put him on the block. Top 4-6 pick/Wiseman/Oubre would be very difficult for Detroit, who might also end up with a top 2-3 lotto pick, to turn down if it'll be for Grant and fillers.

Could translate into the likes of Evan Mobley and Scottie Barnes:

Wiseman/Stewart
    Mobley/Barnes
    Bey
    Oubre/Jackson
    Hayes

That super lengthy young core would be good for a long, long time. Meanwhile GS acquires someone who will most definitely help bring them back to being a solid contender.
    Last edited by Mave1002; 06-07-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Oh yea and I'd salivate at the thought of Covington in a Lakers uniform. I like that Trez for RobCov S&T idea.

Would check alllllot of boxes. Seriously, this would be the perfect time for LBJ to pull the klutch strings. If we can't ship Schroder out via S&T, gotta do it with Trez. Would even include #22 just to make the salaries match or if maybe Mckinnie would be enough.

Good one, tx
    Last edited by Mave1002; 06-07-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Looks underrated. Looks like a tweener if you ask me, no? If he can play defense, I wouldn't mind taking him as the cheaper option. Honestly if his name was Kirk Hinrich or something, he'd probably get the max. lol

What I like about Rubio though is that he's a seasoned vet, who'd be a star in his role and would work very well with Marc and a couple of shooters. Those two dudes would run the same set over and over when they played for the Spanish national team. [Marc or Pau]-shooter-shooter-shooter-[Calderon or Rubio].

We need someone as steady (and championship hungry) as RR to operate the second unit. Issue though would be.. who to trade him for. Like, I'd gladly send Kuz away but who else?
    Surprised no one has talked about when Rondo had words for Kawhi after Kawhi missed the game tying 3 in the game 5 Dallas win. Since then Rondos MPG have been cut in half. Also since then Zubac has played less then 8 total mins.

Kuzma & #22 for Rondo & Zubac? This deal before free agency would fill 2 gaping holes.

For the Clippers, no way do they get a 1st for both Zubac & Rondo from any other team. And they get Kuzma.

How possible would that be? he could freely sign with anyone straight up just annoy the Lakers if he knew that the FO wouldn't be interested.

Regarding Jerami Grant... I think he'll be a hot commodity especially for teams who'll have lotto picks.

Not sure but I'm thinking Bob Myers has something up his sleeve this offseason. The NBA might give the Warriors another high lotto pick. It seemed like they were also trying to check who'll take Wiseman just in case they decide to put him on the block. Top 4-6 pick/Wiseman/Oubre would be very difficult for Detroit, who might also end up with a top 2-3 lotto pick, to turn down if it'll be for Grant and fillers.

Could translate into the likes of Evan Mobley and Scottie Barnes:

Wiseman/Stewart
    Mobley/Barnes
    Bey
    Oubre/Jackson
    Hayes

That super lengthy young core would be good for a long, long time. Meanwhile GS acquires someone who will most definitely help bring them back to being a solid contender.
    The 3 teams I believe DS would best fit is NY (team up with Randle), Detroit (team up with Grant) & Houston (team up with Wood).

I'm starting to think NY might be looking bigger then DS. 1- CP3, his former agent (Leon Rose) is now president of basketball for the Knicks. 2- Lowry, they want to win

Houston already has too much $ tied up into Wall & Gordon so I doubt they make a play for him.

If Detroit holds onto Grant they could be interested in DS. They have a little bit of cap space but not enough. Them dumping salary while acquiring DS would be smarter IMO. That way they can have some money to go after another player. I can see DS interested in Detroit, there's no one there to challenge him. They don't have high expectations so he could put up big #s with no real pressure to win. I actually think Detroit would be the best place for him.

Oh yea and I'd salivate at the thought of Covington in a Lakers uniform. I like that Trez for RobCov S&T idea.

Would check alllllot of boxes. Seriously, this would be the perfect time for LBJ to pull the klutch strings. If we can't ship Schroder out via S&T, gotta do it with Trez. Would even include #22 just to make the salaries match or if maybe Mckinnie would be enough.

Good one, tx
    If MH opts out and agrees to a S/T starting at $11.1 it might be enough - if not then we can add McKinnie. No way #22

Page 1 of 307 1231151101 ... LastLast