Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 130
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,321

    Can we talk about how and why the right hates democracy?

    https://news.yahoo.com/former-trump-...Tq4iaTW4RPOHye

    https://www.newsweek.com/sidney-powe...-house-1596207

    This weekend a Q'Anon conference dubbed "God and Country Patriot Roundup" was held in Dallas and had notable people such as former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn and Attorney Sidney Powell speak. Powell claimed that we can just remove Biden from office and reinstate Trump and allow him to finish the current Presidential term. Of course it's preposterous and she's a lunatic, but the crowd erupted at the suggestion and like it or not Powell's words hold weight for GOP voters. As for Michael Flynn, he told the cheering crowd that the United States should have a coup like the one in Myanmar where the military overthrew the democratically elected government in February and have since killed hundreds of people, including dozens of children. Q'Anon circles have praised the overthrow of the Myanmar government and openly advocate for it to happen in the United States as well.

    Obviously Q'Anon does not represent all GOP voters, but this apparent hate for democracy and the rule of law go far beyond that. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis just signed a stunningly unconstitutional law last week, set to take effect July 1, that would allow the state of Florida to fine social media companies up to $250,000 a day if they "de platform" candidates running for statewide office and $25,000 a day for candidates running for local office. He's using the government to try to keep private companies from having the ability to remove potentially illegal content or content that could go against their terms of service, a blatant violation of their 1st amendment rights. The law, very conveniently, does not apply to any internet platform that is operated by a company that owns and operates a theme park or entertainment complex. That means companies like Disney and NBC Universal, both of which are instrumental to Florida's tourist sector, would be exempt from the law.

    https://nypost.com/2021/05/28/big-te...ial-media-law/

    And then of course there is the statewide voting restriction effort going on. Not only do all of these laws cut hours for early voting and limit mail-in voting, but in some cases they make it illegal to deliver food and water to people waiting in line to vote. If the Texas law passes, it would ban voting on Sunday before 1pm, blatantly targeting the "Souls to the Polls" campaign that black churches are notorious for. These laws are specifically designed to make it harder for people in cities and urban areas to vote. Make it harder to vote for people who don't tend to vote Republican.

    https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...04c7bf1c696b2f

    With all of these things, Republicans and their voters are showing everybody just how badly they hate democracy in the United States. They can't stand that the idea that everyone should be treated equally because if they aren't on top they feel threatened. If they lose their privilege they'll become second class citizens. The GOP's entire strategy is to run on fear of the country being taken away from them and hate for anyone who isn't them. This fear and hatred is the only thing that drives them, which is why we're seeing what we're seeing. I want to talk about why though.

    This all traces back to the GOP's "Southern Strategy" after the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The GOP have always been more conservative than Democrats, even before civil rights, and the south has always been the most conservative part of the country. However, white conservatives in the south were turned off by the Republican party because of slavery and the Civil War. Even if they agreed with the GOP on issues like taxes and defense, they weren't going to join the party of Abraham Lincoln. Because of that southern conservatives were mostly allied with the more liberal party in America, although they made up a conservative block in the Democratic party. It took a lot of deal making from Democrats to keep northern liberals and southern conservatives allied enough to keep control of the White House and Congress for many years. That alliance was rocky long before civil rights however, because conservative democrats tried to block Harry Truman from winning re election in 1948 after he desegregated the military by running South Carolina's Democratic Governor Strom Thurmond as a third-party candidate (dubbed States' Rights Democratic Party). Truman won in a shocking upset over New York Republican Thomas Dewey, but Thurmond, who only got 2.4% of the national vote, did win four southern states and 39 electoral votes. Southern Democrats in Congress continued to block civil rights throughout the 40's and 50's, furthering the divide between them and northern liberals.

    While this was happening, the Republican party was changing to be more accommodating to southern conservatives. After WW2, the population in the western states grew immensely, as did their political power. While eastern Republicans opposed slavery, western Republicans held views of Asians and Native Americans in the same manner southern Democrats viewed African Americans. What also linked western Republicans with southern Democrats was their desire for smaller government. Southern conservatives wanted a small government so it wouldn't interfere with segregation and the western republicans were more libertarian by nature. Barry Goldwater further joined their ideologies by opposing civil rights not because of racism, but because it represented big government. Goldwater became the GOP nominee in 1964 and aside from his home state of Arizona, only won southern states. Also in 1964, Strom Thurmond (who was now a Senator for South Carolina) officially joined the Republican Party.

    This anti-government ideology from the west and south continued through Nixon, Reagan, and both Bush presidencies, turning the Republican party into the anti-govenment, anti-immigrant party it has been for generations now. The original idea of the Republican party when it was created died when these western and southern ideologies mixed, because people like Abraham Lincoln and Dwight Eisenhower, who actually supported the New Deal, would no longer be welcome in today's GOP. Even Nixon, who supported affirmative action, would struggle in today's GOP. Donald Trump's political ascendance is the result of this new GOP, and as the country gets more brown the Republican party becomes more fearful and more hateful towards everyone else. The shrinking white population is only exacerbating the fear of the right and it motivates them. They will do anything, including try to end democracy, to stop this change in demographics. We'll probably see a lot more violence from the right in the coming years because of this.

    I bring this up because I want to stop with this notion that the right has any good will to do anything, they don't. The politicians in Washington only work to keep themselves in power and enrich themselves and the voters just want to keep the country white quite frankly. It's not going to work for them because sometime in the 2040's America is going to become majority minority, and the GOP already can't win a majority of votes in the United States as the Republican candidate for President has only won a popular vote one time (2004) in the last 32 years (8 presidential elections). It's unfortunate, but the GOP is eventually going to die with a whimper because they are a shrinking base that's carried hate for so long. They hate what this country is becoming and their desire to keep it the way it is usurps their notions of democracy and the rule of law. It's just the way it is.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,897
    The republicans arenít anti democracy or anti immigrant party at least not all of us. Iíve always been for legal immigration but not just being okay with people coming through the boarders illegally. Please explain whatís wrong with immigrants coming through the system legally? Why should we be okay with people jumping the boarders?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    101,318
    Just look at the policies they support and how unpopular they are. They know they can never get anything resembling a majority to support them. Itís their only hope to get fewer and fewer people voting and have laws overturned by their judges that they donít like and are bad for their donors.

    A perfect model of what they want is the Wisconsin government. A near 50-50 state as far as the number of votes cast and yet Republicans are able to gerrymander and otherwise limit the impact of Democratic voters to the point where they have a near supermajority in both chambers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Just look at the policies they support and how unpopular they are. They know they can never get anything resembling a majority to support them. Itís their only hope to get fewer and fewer people voting and have laws overturned by their judges that they donít like and are bad for their donors.

    A perfect model of what they want is the Wisconsin government. A near 50-50 state as far as the number of votes cast and yet Republicans are able to gerrymander and otherwise limit the impact of Democratic voters to the point where they have a near supermajority in both chambers.
    WI is a 50-50 state but the vast majority of the state in general is republican. Milwaukee and Madison are very very liberal but the rest of the state is republican.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,897
    For example Biden won WI by 0.6 points or so and here was the county by county map

    Looks pretty red to me? Itís not like itís overwhelming blue where a lot of state house seats etc would be blue


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    101,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    WI is a 50-50 state but the vast majority of the state in general is republican. Milwaukee and Madison are very very liberal but the rest of the state is republican.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you hear yourself when you say something like this?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Do you hear yourself when you say something like this?
    You ask how the republicans can have the super majority of seats well the vast majority of the state is red where a lot of these races are and they are electing republican state house/senate people in. Itís not complicated


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Near Indy
    Posts
    515
    The leadership is the problem as it is in most political institutions whether a "democracy" autocracy or pure dictatorships. Repugnuts rightly fear fading from prominence. They have no programs to speak of and a base that is either highly affluent and seeking to enslave the rest of the population or suggestible low intelligence types, easily inflamed and influenced. I will allow that there are a few Repugnuts that are neither wealthy or below an IQ of 85. However I do not understand how what they are telling themselves keeps them in the camp of the Devil.

    Still, it is the cabal of evil Devil worshipers that come up with programs and actions that damage our democracy, ability to earn and living and the enjoyment of life. Their "followers" are actually either their masters who pay them to do their will or the ignorant masses who would worship them if they murdered children and then cut and ate the feces from their bodies.
    Last edited by Blue6; 05-31-2021 at 12:33 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    The leadership is the problem as it is in most political institutions whether a "democracy" autocracy or pure dictatorships. Repugnuts rightly fear fading from prominence. They have no programs to speak of and a base that is either highly affluent and seeking to enslave the rest of the population or suggestible low intelligence types, easily inflamed and influenced. I will allow that there are a few Repugnuts that are neither wealthy or below an IQ of 85. However I do not understand how what they are telling themselves keeps them in the camp of the Devil.

    Still, it is the cabal of evil Devil worshipers that come up with programs and actions that damage our democracy, ability to earn and living and the enjoyment of life. Their "followers" are actually either their masters who pay them to do their will or the ignorant masses who would worship them if they murdered children and then cut and ate the feces from their bodies.
    Repugnuts? Werenít you the one who made the thread about getting along?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Near Indy
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Repugnuts? Werenít you the one who made the thread about getting along?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After seeing what they are trying to do in Texas again this morning and what is going on in the Senate I am beginning to accept that reconciliation is not of the table. We must defeat them and remove them from power.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Near Indy
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    For example Biden won WI by 0.6 points or so and here was the county by county map

    Looks pretty red to me? Itís not like itís overwhelming blue where a lot of state house seats etc would be blue


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Indiana is pretty much the same. You go out into the country and smaller towns and wonder if you are on another planet or in The Twilight Zone.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    After seeing what they are trying to do in Texas again this morning and what is going on in the Senate I am beginning to accept that reconciliation is not of the table. We must defeat them and remove them from power.
    I see your listening to that biased media again. What do you think was wrong with the Texas bill?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. 05-31-2021, 12:50 PM
    Reason
    insults

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    ... removed ...
    I want to hear your opinion on why you donít like that bill. Not just hear it from Twitter and the media. Please cite what you donít like about it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Scoots; 05-31-2021 at 02:26 PM. Reason: insult in quote

  15. 05-31-2021, 01:07 PM
    Reason
    insults

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    13,482
    Because they refused to adapt and democracy is working against them. Theyíre the minority and they finally realize it. If they werenít anti-democracy they wouldnít believe the election was stolen, they wouldnít be trying to whitewash January 6 where they physically tried overturn the election, and they wouldnít be passing non stop voting suppression bills based on the first reason.

    Itís an illiberal party now. Itís an amazing thing to see in the US in our lifetime. Who wouldíve thought?

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    The republicans arenít anti democracy or anti immigrant party at least not all of us. Iíve always been for legal immigration but not just being okay with people coming through the boarders illegally. Please explain whatís wrong with immigrants coming through the system legally? Why should we be okay with people jumping the boarders?
    The OP has raised a wide-range of issues, a lot more than just immigration (I know itís your go-to deflection to nit-pick, but there are threads already).

    And learn how to spell.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •