Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    His Suns teams were so much better than they ever finished. I personally think he's one of the most overrated coaches there is.

Should the Portland Trailblazer rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    His Suns teams were so much better than they ever finished. I personally think he's one of the most overrated coaches there is.
    I donít think that is true. They were also one of the prettiest teams Ive ever seen. You donít execute like those Suns teams without being prepared.
    Last edited by ewing; 06-15-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

You think those Suns teams would have been better than those Spurs teams if D'Antoni weren't the coach?

Were they? Or did D'Antoni make those guys' careers, and they played out of their minds because of the system he put them in? Look at Marion and Stoudemire's numbers with and without Nash/D'Antoni and tell me they were the same guys.

Those Suns teams were great. They just couldn't beat the Duncan/Pop Spurs teams, which they matched up horribly against, or the Dirk Mavs at their arguable peak in '06. D'Antoni's best teams have always peaked in years where they were the second or third best squad in the conference. Does it hurt his legacy a bit? Sure, but that doesn't make the man a complete failure of a coach.

George Karl. Jerry Sloan. Don Nelson. Rick Adelman. All great coaches in the league who didn't win titles. D'Antoni is no different, but for some reason he's an easier target for critics to pick apart.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    You think those Suns teams would have been better than those Spurs teams if D'Antoni weren't the coach?
    Exactly! If you flipped the talent and gave Pop the Suns and D'Antoni the Spurs, I honestly don't think the Suns end up with any more rings in that era than they did with D'Antoni. The Spurs were just more talented and were a terrible matchup for the Suns.

Everyone on that team gave up the ball so willingly, always cut, always properly spaced, always knew where each other were, and always made the same reads. The idea that they werenít well coached is laughable. They put on clinics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Yes.

D'Antoni does GREAT at the X's and O's aspects of coaching, especially offensively. Defense from his teams seem to be quite suspect (despite the better play in Houston, I would credit Jeff Bzdelik more with it). But despite his X's and O's prowess, he's got enough flaws that people ignore that makes him overrated to me.

I'd ask it this way, if he's a head coach next year, how many coaches are you taking over him?
    Last edited by warfelg; 06-15-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Yes.
    I think thatís a pretty fantastical belief.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Were they? Or did D'Antoni make those guys' careers, and they played out of their minds because of the system he put them in? Look at Marion and Stoudemire's numbers with and without Nash/D'Antoni and tell me they were the same guys.

Those Suns teams were great. They just couldn't beat the Duncan/Pop Spurs teams, which they matched up horribly against, or the Dirk Mavs at their arguable peak in '06. D'Antoni's best teams have always peaked in years where they were the second or third best squad in the conference. Does it hurt his legacy a bit? Sure, but that doesn't make the man a complete failure of a coach.

George Karl. Jerry Sloan. Don Nelson. Rick Adelman. All great coaches in the league who didn't win titles. D'Antoni is no different, but for some reason he's an easier target for critics to pick apart.
    would definitely argue Nash made those players than D'antoni did

I think thatís a pretty fantastical belief.
    Does that many you think no matter who coached them they aren't getting past the Spurs then?

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    would definitely argue Nash made those players than D'Antoni did
    Perhaps, but Nash definitely didn't make the Rockets' players more than D'Antoni. To me that proved it wasn't all Nash in Phoenix.

Does that many you think no matter who coached them they aren't getting past the Spurs then?
    I think the Spurs were definitely the better team.

Perhaps, but Nash definitely didn't make the Rockets' players more than D'Antoni. To me that proved it wasn't all Nash in Phoenix.
    feels like some problematic reverse engineering lol. D'antoni obviously had a good influence on things but both he and Nash have gone on record multiple times talking about how he gave the keys to the car to Nash. Gotta remember Nash was coming off a season where he was quarterbacking the best relative league offense in NBA history. And then also had one of his greatest seasons, and one of the Suns best offensive seasons after D'antoni left.

Suns offense under D'antoni wasn't bad in the limited sample size we have in '04 but it's clear Nash had an all time great offensive impact from day one.

I think the Spurs were definitely the better team.
    So then asking that question to you was a question with no right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    feels like some problematic reverse engineering lol. D'antoni obviously had a good influence on things but both he and Nash have gone on record multiple times talking about how he gave the keys to the car to Nash. Gotta remember Nash was coming off a season where he was quarterbacking the best relative league offense in NBA history. And then also had one of his greatest seasons, and one of the Suns best offensive seasons after D'antoni left.

Suns offense under D'antoni wasn't bad in the limited sample size we have in '04 but it's clear Nash had an all time great offensive impact from day one.
    It's not really reverse engineering to look at other instances where D'Antoni supercharged an offense to believe he probably had some effect at his previous places. Sure, he gave the keys to the car to Nash, but he also built the car so he rightly deserves credit for that.

I'm not trying to argue D'Antoni was more responsible, because I frankly don't care. Nash is one of my favorite players and obviously had a massive impact on the Suns' offense. I'm saying D'Antoni definitely had some effect and has proven multiple times he's a great offensive mind and coach.
    Last edited by valade16; 06-16-2021 at 07:18 PM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast