Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Should the Portland Trailblazer rebuild?

Thoughts?

Dame should demand a trade imo

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Yes. That core is cheeks.

Yes for sure before CJ and Dame start to age and turn from an assets to burdens.

I think they should move on from Terry Stotts. That team had no business going out in the 1st round.

Yep, time to let Dame head to a contender.

Absolutely they need to. I've been on this for a few years that they needed to and that WCF was their absolute peak.

A few suggestions:
    Lillard - There's a bunch of teams that he would be a good fit for. Knicks, Sixers, Pelicans are some teams that come to mind should be going after him.

McCollum - I think he's a little harder to find a fit for. He's not a pure PG, but he's not quite a full time 2 either. So I would be looking at teams that have a guy that can handle the ball and initiate offense but need that "other" guy. I'm looking at teams like the Lakers, Heat, Mavs as teams that should be looking at him.

Covington - He's likely the easiest to move. Good defender, knocks down the 3, and positionally flexible. I think if you have a late 1st and have some cap space you go after him. I might put GSW at the top of the list for him.

Nurkic - He's actually quite valuable. There's an out with $4mil dead this upcoming year for him, but he's kinda usable. Maybe you get a pick in one of the other deals that you can slide to a team under the cap willing to take that money off your books, or maybe there's a team that's open to taking him on at that price, r possible even a team that wants to use him to get under the tax and gives you some useful stuff.

Throwing a couple if ideas into the trade machine:
    Sixers get Lillard for Ben Simmons, Shake Milton, 2021 1st, 2023 top 5 protected 1st, 2024 1st swap.

Heat get CJ McCollum for Goran Dragic (TO picked up) and Duncan Robinson (S&T on a 3 year $51mil deal, splitting the Bertains and JHarris contracts).

Warriors get Covington and Lonnie Walker; Spurs get Andrew Wiggins and 2021 lower of Wolves or Warriors 1st; Blazers get Damon Lee, Eric Paschall, Jordan Poole, 2022 2nd from GSW.

Magic get Nurkic for 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd.

This can let the Blazers retool on the fly, get a bunch of extra picks to add to the new core, and get some much much needed cap clearing in this offseason and next offseason. Each team's new starting lineup:
    Blazers: Simmons - Dragic - Powell - Robinson - Kanter :: Notes - It's certainly the start of the rebuild, but with Dragic, Poole, Paschall, Lee all being expirings (taking $30mil off the books), only needing to bring back Powell and Kanter as FA's to start, they could enter 2022 offseason with theoretically only Ben Simmons ($35.4mil) and Robinson ($17mil) on the books. $52.4mil in committed contracts in that offseason could be a great thing for htem.

Sixers: Lillard - Green - Thybulle - Harris - Embiid :: Notes - This would move Seth Curry to the bench as having Lillard and Curry on the floor gives up too much defensively. Resigning Green, still having Hill on the bench, sliding Thybulle into the starting lineup really fixes the defensive concerns. But that's an ECChamps type team right there. Good blend of scoring and defense.

Heat: McCollum - Herro - Butler - Achiuwa - Adebayo :: Notes - Yes this pushes perviously starting Nunn to the bench, but I think Herro's shooting works better with this lineup more than Nunn's extra ball handling. CJ just feels like a great Heat fit to be honest more than Lillard, plus it costs less in a trade.

Warriors: Curry - Thompson - Covington - Green - Wiseman :: Notes - The true power from this trade comes in the recreation of the small ball lineup with Green to the 5, Covington to the 4, Thompson to the 3, and Lonnie Walker coming off the bench to play the 1/2 with Curry. And with the chance they can get Minnesota's 1st or their own in the lottery to keep a pick this year and add to the bench.

Spurs: Murray - White - Wiggins - Draft Pick - Poeltl :: Notes - I think this is very clearly the biggest rebuilding team of the entire scenario. Wiggins improved with GSW and Pop's looks to continue that trajectory with this change, and they get a pick to add to it. For them it's worth the ticket to see what Wiggins can do, and best case they are good worse case they know they can trade off some things for the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Absolutely they need to. I've been on this for a few years that they needed to and that WCF was their absolute peak.

A few suggestions:
    Lillard - There's a bunch of teams that he would be a good fit for. Knicks, Sixers, Pelicans are some teams that come to mind should be going after him.

McCollum - I think he's a little harder to find a fit for. He's not a pure PG, but he's not quite a full time 2 either. So I would be looking at teams that have a guy that can handle the ball and initiate offense but need that "other" guy. I'm looking at teams like the Lakers, Heat, Mavs as teams that should be looking at him.

Covington - He's likely the easiest to move. Good defender, knocks down the 3, and positionally flexible. I think if you have a late 1st and have some cap space you go after him. I might put GSW at the top of the list for him.

Nurkic - He's actually quite valuable. There's an out with $4mil dead this upcoming year for him, but he's kinda usable. Maybe you get a pick in one of the other deals that you can slide to a team under the cap willing to take that money off your books, or maybe there's a team that's open to taking him on at that price, r possible even a team that wants to use him to get under the tax and gives you some useful stuff.

Throwing a couple if ideas into the trade machine:
    Sixers get Lillard for Ben Simmons, Shake Milton, 2021 1st, 2023 top 5 protected 1st, 2024 1st swap.

Heat get CJ McCollum for Goran Dragic (TO picked up) and Duncan Robinson (S&T on a 3 year $51mil deal, splitting the Bertains and JHarris contracts).

Warriors get Covington and Lonnie Walker; Spurs get Andrew Wiggins and 2021 lower of Wolves or Warriors 1st; Blazers get Damon Lee, Eric Paschall, Jordan Poole, 2022 2nd from GSW.

Magic get Nurkic for 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd.

This can let the Blazers retool on the fly, get a bunch of extra picks to add to the new core, and get some much much needed cap clearing in this offseason and next offseason. Each team's new starting lineup:
    Blazers: Simmons - Dragic - Powell - Robinson - Kanter :: Notes - It's certainly the start of the rebuild, but with Dragic, Poole, Paschall, Lee all being expirings (taking $30mil off the books), only needing to bring back Powell and Kanter as FA's to start, they could enter 2022 offseason with theoretically only Ben Simmons ($35.4mil) and Robinson ($17mil) on the books. $52.4mil in committed contracts in that offseason could be a great thing for htem.

Sixers: Lillard - Green - Thybulle - Harris - Embiid :: Notes - This would move Seth Curry to the bench as having Lillard and Curry on the floor gives up too much defensively. Resigning Green, still having Hill on the bench, sliding Thybulle into the starting lineup really fixes the defensive concerns. But that's an ECChamps type team right there. Good blend of scoring and defense.

Heat: McCollum - Herro - Butler - Achiuwa - Adebayo :: Notes - Yes this pushes perviously starting Nunn to the bench, but I think Herro's shooting works better with this lineup more than Nunn's extra ball handling. CJ just feels like a great Heat fit to be honest more than Lillard, plus it costs less in a trade.

Warriors: Curry - Thompson - Covington - Green - Wiseman :: Notes - The true power from this trade comes in the recreation of the small ball lineup with Green to the 5, Covington to the 4, Thompson to the 3, and Lonnie Walker coming off the bench to play the 1/2 with Curry. And with the chance they can get Minnesota's 1st or their own in the lottery to keep a pick this year and add to the bench.

Spurs: Murray - White - Wiggins - Draft Pick - Poeltl :: Notes - I think this is very clearly the biggest rebuilding team of the entire scenario. Wiggins improved with GSW and Pop's looks to continue that trajectory with this change, and they get a pick to add to it. For them it's worth the ticket to see what Wiggins can do, and best case they are good worse case they know they can trade off some things for the rebuild.
    that is insanely complex. If it actually happens, I owe you a steak dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Naes View Post
    that is insanely complex. If it actually happens, I owe you a steak dinner.
    As any rebuild for them will be. They have a few big contracts, and numerous mid-sized contracts. It makes any movement for them to rebuild difficult. And it's not like you can just trade some of them (like just Lillard or just CJ) and hope you can retool them on the fly. It's a full on "lets get combo pick and players for what we can" and "get cap space with everything else we can't".

I think retool with a different head coach. Stotts deserves a lot of the blame. That roster is too talented to get beat in the first round by Jokic and a bunch of fill ins. Keep Nurk, he was by far the second best player in the series for them. Keep Dame. Dangle CJ and only trade him for value. Get rid of Melo, Kanter.

Yeah I think it's evident that they do need to make drastic changes. They'll probably start by firing Stotts, but I'm not actually sure that's the right move. I understand they've never broken through in the playoffs, but when were they supposed to get to the Finals in the last eight years? They were never going to get past Golden State during their five-year run, they lost to them three times, but they also lost to the Spurs in 2014 and the Lakers last year. Four time they lost to the eventual NBA champions and five times to the team that came out of the West, and that's in the last seven years. This year, the eighth in this run, they lost to the soon-to-be league MVP. I don't think you can blame Stotts for that, but you do have to change this roster.

If Lillard, who will only be 31 next season, decides he wants out they need to start a full on rebuild. Obviously, collect picks and a young player with high upside. If Lillard wants to stay they need to try to get another superstar to join him in Portland, maybe Bradley Beal. Short of that they probably won't win a championship. They just can't run it back with the same supporting cast. Move McCollum, move Nurkic, make every player except Lillard available. Lillard needs more playmakers around him.
    Last edited by TylerSL; 06-04-2021 at 09:28 AM.

I doubt they do it. Dame is incredibly loyal so he won't want to go and if they send him out anyhow the fans will revolt. They are in a tough spot though.

Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    I think retool with a different head coach. Stotts deserves a lot of the blame. That roster is too talented to get beat in the first round by Jokic and a bunch of fill ins. Keep Nurk, he was by far the second best player in the series for them. Keep Dame. Dangle CJ and only trade him for value. Get rid of Melo, Kanter.
    Nurk doesn't even wanna be there.

Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    This. If you're Portland, you have two options, IMO: retool with some key guys or completely rebuild from scratch. The third middle option of moving their stars and trying to rebuild a contender in the short term with other pieces just will not work and will land them in mediocrity. So if you're rebuilding, it's got to be a full-on fire sale blowup like we saw with Houston this year.

I would keep Dame, Nurkic and RoCo. Try to bring back Powell if the money is right and deal CJ instead. I like McCollum, but I just don't think he's a No. 2 on a contender even though he's being paid like he is. Agree with moving on from Melo and Kanter as well and bringing in a new coach. Fill out the roster with switchable 3 and D guys and veterans who need a home and can play some defense.

I still think there's a chance for Portland to seriously contend, but there's a piece on that roster that they're missing right now, and I think it's a true playoff No. 2 to pair Dame with in the front court. I'm just not sure that guy is out there to acquire. But if you have the choice of retooling or completely restarting from scratch, I think you give the Dame era one last legitimate try before giving up.

I'm against a full on rebuild for teams that underachieve in the playoffs. Instead they need to build on what they have.

Give Dame some legit help. These small moves like Covington, Melo, Powell, etc. Don't move the needle.

Also, this team needs a coaching change. They are too iso heavy, lack any real play calls, and lack defense.

With all this said; based on Dame's Instagram message, it might be too late.
    Last edited by THE MTL; 06-04-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast