Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2021 Season Wrap Up

With two games left, I thought it would be interesting to get some thoughts on the season as we reflect back. This forum got understandably got pretty quiet after another seemingly lost season before we even got halfway through it. For me, these are my high-level takeaways.

Positives:
    1.This team as it's currently constructed showed the ability to be an 8-12 seed given a mostly healthy roster.
    2. Anthony Edwards looks awesome and will be fun to see what he becomes when he is 22-23. He could be player 1 on this team in the near future.
    3.KAT and DLO pairing look to be justified a bit, now that there is at least a sample size of them playing together.
    4. Finch>Saunders
    5. Naz, Mcdaniels, and Vanderbilt look like hood value players
    6. No more Glen(not sure how much this change the next few years but a change was needed)

Negatives
    1. Lot of work needed on the fringes, a lot of bad/inconsistent play from Culver, Ricky, Okogie, Juancho, etc.
    2. This team needs to be constructed where they don't completely fold when a guy like KAT goes down for a stretch.
    3. A lot of money is tied up in KAT and DLO. If they stay healthy and play as well as they did in a small sample, we are still a fringe playoff, hoping to be around .500 team. Not a great outlook for the future, albeit a lot better than finishing with 20-30 wins every year.
    4. Culver is a complete loss at this point
    5. Many other negative points could be made but overall, another disappointing season where they just couldn't figure it out early in the season. Lot of excuses but next year has to be make or break for Rosas, his roster vision has taken shape and is generally going to be healthy going into next year.

Thats it, that's the post. What are you all thinking?

Yeah, your positives are generally right on.

- Ant will be a star. His splits are crazy. Once he learns to live at the line, and becomes a better 3 point shooter, I am not sure how teams stop him from scoring outside sending doubles at him 25 feet from the rim before he starts his motion. Even then, we should be able to respond by running motion plays for him. Ant is a stud, and has the "it" gene lacking from Towns.
    - McDaniels is also a nice surprise. He could be an elite defender who can be that 3-D guy every team needs.
    - D-Lo looked strong to close the year, and hopefully buys into playing off the ball more, as he has done the past 5 weeks. Defensively, we can't march him and Beasley out there and expect to compete for 50 wins, but that may take care of itself, as I would expect Beasley to be moved
    - We can score with anyone

We still need more PF play, I know McDaniels has potential, and Vanderbilt has moments, but we need an established player there. We could also use a new defensive coach, and to bring in a couple of real vets like Patty Mills or Jeff Green for example.

I don't even care about the pick after watching Edwards the 2nd half of this season. Dude is a stud, and will be a franchise player by age 22.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Yeah, your positives are generally right on.

- Ant will be a star. His splits are crazy. Once he learns to live at the line, and becomes a better 3 point shooter, I am not sure how teams stop him from scoring outside sending doubles at him 25 feet from the rim before he starts his motion. Even then, we should be able to respond by running motion plays for him. Ant is a stud, and has the "it" gene lacking from Towns.
    - McDaniels is also a nice surprise. He could be an elite defender who can be that 3-D guy every team needs.
    - D-Lo looked strong to close the year, and hopefully buys into playing off the ball more, as he has done the past 5 weeks. Defensively, we can't march him and Beasley out there and expect to compete for 50 wins, but that may take care of itself, as I would expect Beasley to be moved
    - We can score with anyone

We still need more PF play, I know McDaniels has potential, and Vanderbilt has moments, but we need an established player there. We could also use a new defensive coach, and to bring in a couple of real vets like Patty Mills or Jeff Green for example.

I don't even care about the pick after watching Edwards the 2nd half of this season. Dude is a stud, and will be a franchise player by age 22.
    Agreed on Ant's "it" factor, he is still so young, his ceiling is sky high. Ant being our number 1 and KAT being 1A/2 is very possible as soon as next year.

I also agree on Ant. I am a pessimist and this is the Wolves, but he has looked really good since Finch took over. Finch is definitely a much better coach than Ryan.
    - On Beasley. I think if he can buy into being the sixth man, he stays. He has good value for how much he can score with superb 3pt %. Unfortunately, the person I expect to be moved is Ricky and likely Layman, Juancho and Culver.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

Ill give my general thoughts on the season and probably finish with what I hope to see moving forward too...

Ant - Potential Superstar that is already playing at a very high level. We are one season in with a couple borderline All Star type talents and he seems to be our most valuable player already (when considering full context). Not sure what else to say, my expectations are quite high for him. Drexler/Wade type of potential to me.

Towns - Our currently best player and he had a solid season himself even if not necessarily great. Unfortunately he was injured then Russell/Beasley were etc. so we didn't get to see the full season but I believe in games Russell/Towns have played together we are 13-11 so far. That winning % would be playoff play in type. I would still like to see more improvement on the defensive end but outside of that he is pretty special.

Russell - Looks to be our 3rd member if you wanna call it a big 3. I think he is an above average player and hopefully still has some room to grow. I think a backcourt of him and Edwards will bring plenty of playmaking, spacing/scoring and should be alright defensively since Ant looks solid/with potential on that end. Either way things fall at the end of the day with the pick the move for him still seems justifiable (and if it's next years pick we won that trade imo).

Mcdaniels - My favorite of the rest. I really like him at draft time and I think he looks like that 3/D type many teams love to have. Seems like there is a good amount of potential to grow as well.

Beasley - He looked solid and I agree on the above he would be more of a 6th man. I would start considering moving him

The rest to me mostly seem like role players with Naz/Vandy/Nowell being the younger ones with a bit of potential. Rubio/Juan/Layman are ok vets to keep or easily moveable.

Finch - Seems to be a solid coach overall in limited time. I think we saw some more movement/actions offensively to help get people in better positions. I thought we saw defensively a larger focus on protecting the rim as a team/unit as well even if results are limited there seems to be that idea of team defense creeping in. Rotations seemed pretty good throughout and it didn't seem like he was costing us anywhere with his decisions. We had a very high FT rate with him and I think part of that is opportunities came in better positions for us to attack. Situationally we have been better in the 4th quarters to close as well. The defense was still bad but overall there were improvements and reasons for hope, I like him so far.

If we keep the pick this year and use it wisely we will have an incredibly bright future with a top pick from what is considered a strong draft (whether we keep or trade). That will be the big gamechanger for us if it happened. I think we look to be a borderline playoff team by next season either way though so at least it should get competitive still even if we lose it (which I expect).

Moving with the assumption of losing the pick we need to make a big move this offseason for another stud. I think we should do everything we can to keep Ant/Towns/Russell and I would try holding Mcdaniels as well as an excellent 5th starter type player. Beasley/Culver/Naz/Nowell/Okogie/Rubio/Juancho/Layman any of these guys can move in a package, can even try to make it multi team but we should look to consolidate. If we lose the pick we also have all of our futures to add into a deal. I am not sure who will be available, looking at the league and Raptors seem to be tanking and Lowry likely leaving maybe Siakim or OG is available? I dunno but if we can add a good forward to our core it would be a big step towards becoming a longer term playoff team.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 05-18-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Ill give my general thoughts on the season and probably finish with what I hope to see moving forward too...

Ant - Potential Superstar that is already playing at a very high level. We are one season in with a couple borderline All Star type talents and he seems to be our most valuable player already (when considering full context). Not sure what else to say, my expectations are quite high for him. Drexler/Wade type of potential to me.

Towns - Our currently best player and he had a solid season himself even if not necessarily great. Unfortunately he was injured then Russell/Beasley were etc. so we didn't get to see the full season but I believe in games Russell/Towns have played together we are 13-11 so far. That winning % would be playoff play in type. I would still like to see more improvement on the defensive end but outside of that he is pretty special.

Russell - Looks to be our 3rd member if you wanna call it a big 3. I think he is an above average player and hopefully still has some room to grow. I think a backcourt of him and Edwards will bring plenty of playmaking, spacing/scoring and should be alright defensively since Ant looks solid/with potential on that end. Either way things fall at the end of the day with the pick the move for him still seems justifiable (and if it's next years pick we won that trade imo).

Mcdaniels - My favorite of the rest. I really like him at draft time and I think he looks like that 3/D type many teams love to have. Seems like there is a good amount of potential to grow as well.

Beasley - He looked solid and I agree on the above he would be more of a 6th man. I would start considering moving him

The rest to me mostly seem like role players with Naz/Vandy/Nowell being the younger ones with a bit of potential. Rubio/Juan/Layman are ok vets to keep or easily moveable.

Finch - Seems to be a solid coach overall in limited time. I think we saw some more movement/actions offensively to help get people in better positions. I thought we saw defensively a larger focus on protecting the rim as a team/unit as well even if results are limited there seems to be that idea of team defense creeping in. Rotations seemed pretty good throughout and it didn't seem like he was costing us anywhere with his decisions. We had a very high FT rate with him and I think part of that is opportunities came in better positions for us to attack. Situationally we have been better in the 4th quarters to close as well. The defense was still bad but overall there were improvements and reasons for hope, I like him so far.

If we keep the pick this year and use it wisely we will have an incredibly bright future with a top pick from what is considered a strong draft (whether we keep or trade). That will be the big gamechanger for us if it happened. I think we look to be a borderline playoff team by next season either way though so at least it should get competitive still even if we lose it (which I expect).

Moving with the assumption of losing the pick we need to make a big move this offseason for another stud. I think we should do everything we can to keep Ant/Towns/Russell and I would try holding Mcdaniels as well as an excellent 5th starter type player. Beasley/Culver/Naz/Nowell/Okogie/Rubio/Juancho/Layman any of these guys can move in a package, can even try to make it multi team but we should look to consolidate. If we lose the pick we also have all of our futures to add into a deal. I am not sure who will be available, looking at the league and Raptors seem to be tanking and Lowry likely leaving maybe Siakim or OG is available? I dunno but if we can add a good forward to our core it would be a big step towards becoming a longer term playoff team.
    Good wrap-up. This offseason will be interesting. Rosas likes to make moves, they will be limited with no cap space and potentially no draft picks but he has been known to get out of the box and get deals done. Packaging either Beasley or Rubio with some of the other fillers is the most likely deal to maybe get a starting caliber 4 that this team lacked.

Rosas's window for roster overhaul has passed, he will probably be given a year or two with the core he helped create, and then he might be out of here.
    Last edited by MadCowKG; 05-19-2021 at 10:59 AM. Reason: missing word

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowKG View Post
    Good wrap-up. This offseason will be interesting. Rosas likes to make moves, they will be limited with no cap space and potentially no draft picks but he has been known to get out of the box and get deals done. Packaging either Beasley or Rubio with some of the other fillers is the most likely deal to maybe get a starting caliber 4 that this team lacked.

Rosas's window for roster overhaul has passed, he will probably be given a year or two with the core he helped create, and then he might be out of here.
    Thanks and ya it will be an interesting offseason. As you note we may be in tough shape with no cap and having no pick, after a year you finish in the bottom chunk of teams that is seemingly depressing. I think Rosas is down to his last season possibly if we don't do much and have another non playoff year.

That said he is still in position to make moves to round out this roster even without those assets you normally hope for. We have expiring to match (rubio), youth to send (Culver, Okogie, Naz, Nowell), Beasley, some other solid filler/role players too, and all of our future picks (of which may be able to sell high on, see this years). There isn't a contract in the league we wouldn't be able to find a way to match if needed/they were talented enough and we have assets to at least consolidate to one good player. Russell/Edwards/Mcdaniels/Towns all seem capable of starting on a playoff team and have room to develop as well so there is even a "core" of young guys in place if you will that we are trying to surround.

It is time for Rosas to finish/complete his roster around Towns. I think since coming in he has done an excellent job of changing the atmosphere around our future outlook at the very least but we have had that happen before and the next step blew it all up in a poor manner (Thibs era). This next step for him will be very important, a top pick would obviously help immensely but even without it the pieces are in place to at least get competitive again soon with young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowKG View Post

I strongly disagree with Rosas. He has been nothing here but an absolute godsend to us. He has stacked our roster with a lot of good young potential. Beasley was an absolute steal of a trade for us. Reid looks like he could play himself into a massive contract. Edwards has been way better then anyone would of ever guessed. I mean he took players in the draft every year that had tools but needed to figure things out. Some do some don't...

He actually had the balls to trade wiggins. Watching Golden state last night it was the same old wiggins despite what he media says. He chucks up shots at stupid times and his court vision is still horrible. It's not Rosas fault that Beasley was stupid, towns went through family issues and injuries, Dlo went through injuries. This team at full strength has some potential. This is ZERO reason that this is not a playoff roster after watching them play the last few quarters of the season together. Another year of Mcdaniels getting stronger, improvement in Edwards ect we are sitting good.

When you look at Kat his offensive efficiency with his assists was night and day different from years past. Defenseively he improved as well. I don't know how many of you actually watched the last games of the season but this team does have fight to it. We have plenty of offensive ammo and our rotations actually were not bad...

This team does have potential and could be a huge sleeper team in the western conference next year.

I don't disagree that Rosas has done a solid job overall. I think Edwards/Culver/Naz/Nowell is overall good for our picks/bringing in youth and getting Mcdaniels/Beasley/Bolmaro was a nice haul for Covington. I am not overly high on bolmaro but I think we win that without him anyways. Russell is good but the cost is kind of high, Wiggins isn't drastically different but he has improved a little and we may give up a pick at like 4/6/7 in this draft considered deep as well.

However this is his 3rd offseason now and it is very possible we have no cap and no picks due to decisions he has made (coming off a bad year). If we were to somehow have the same results next season he would at the very least be on the hot seat. If it happened again I have no doubt he will be gone so 1-2 seasons sounds right unless this core proves more. We will need health, development, and at least another move or two bringing in talent imo.

I think we have potential but without another pick added or stud via trade (and no cap for FA) we are likely going to be the type fighting for the playoffs. Kat actually declined this season compared to last offensively (ppg, efficiency, impact stats). The team has done this before ending strong when other teams tank but we don't as well. I don't necessarily disagree we have some fight and this is hopefully different but that doesn't mean Rosas seat isn't currently getting hot. If we miss the playoffs next year I think there will absolutely be talk of what to do moving forward around keeping him or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolves88 View Post
    I strongly disagree with Rosas. He has been nothing here but an absolute godsend to us. He has stacked our roster with a lot of good young potential. Beasley was an absolute steal of a trade for us. Reid looks like he could play himself into a massive contract. Edwards has been way better then anyone would of ever guessed. I mean he took players in the draft every year that had tools but needed to figure things out. Some do some don't...

He actually had the balls to trade wiggins. Watching Golden state last night it was the same old wiggins despite what he media says. He chucks up shots at stupid times and his court vision is still horrible. It's not Rosas fault that Beasley was stupid, towns went through family issues and injuries, Dlo went through injuries. This team at full strength has some potential. This is ZERO reason that this is not a playoff roster after watching them play the last few quarters of the season together. Another year of Mcdaniels getting stronger, improvement in Edwards ect we are sitting good.

When you look at Kat his offensive efficiency with his assists was night and day different from years past. Defenseively he improved as well. I don't know how many of you actually watched the last games of the season but this team does have fight to it. We have plenty of offensive ammo and our rotations actually were not bad...

This team does have potential and could be a huge sleeper team in the western conference next year.
    Rosas has done some good things but he needs to have a team make the playoffs not just build a playoff roster on paper. Things are certainly looking better and Rosas deserves credit in rebuilding the roster post Thibs but there are still some big holes and they are somewhat limited in what they can do this summer.