Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    I generally like the best player available philosophy, but I think the warriors management might be under a little bit more pressure to get guys who can contribute to a competitive team. If we come out of a deep draft with two lotto picks and we are getting jacob evans type contributors.... we should be taking a look at bob myers and steve kerr. This is especially true after the crap draft they had in 2020 with wiseman.

Im not saying the players need to be mvp candidates- but being able to get rotation players that can contribute in the rotation isnt an unreasonable goal in lotto picks.
    Jacob Evans was one step from a 2nd round pick, and he absolutely didn't work out. But the draft philosophy is VERY different from the lottery to later in the draft. Every player from a certain point down in the draft has some major issues.

I think #7 should be BPA because the talent up there is so much higher. At 14 it's more okay to look for fit and immediate help.

It's WAY too early to call the 2020 draft "crap". Please look at all the teenage bigs in the NBA and see how they do. Then factor in that Wiseman had no offseason at all which has never happened before, then he lost games to Covid which has never been a problem before, then the schedule was compressed and there were almost no practices during the season which has never happened before. Add to all that that he was coming to a team with stars he had to fit in with in one of the most complex systems in the NBA. Add to that that Myers, Kerr, and Lacob all said up front that Wiseman was raw and was going to take some time to develop.

Wiseman showed flashes of what he can do, and he showed enough to keep alive the possibility that he could be a future star.

Myers and Lacob have both said they are not going to move on from Wiseman.

The real shame of it all is that he's hurt and going to miss even more practice time.

To me, right now, I'd LOVE to come away with Barnes at 7 and Mitchell/Wagner at 14.

I'm really curious of how Jalen Johnson's interviews go since he's incredibly talented but has some real issues to answer for. It's possible he's there at 14 and while he wouldn't be a "now" fit he is intriguing.

If the team can add a couple real contributing vets it may make it easier to handle more raw rookies too.

It would be nice to be able to S&T Oubre for an S&T of Dinwiddie ... but can't do that unfortunately.

another name I am hearing would be a good fit with the warriors is Chris Duarte out of Oregon. The guy is ready to go right now. A good decision maker, a really smart defensive player and he understands he will be a role player at the pro level. He has the skill set of a poor man's Brandon Roy. He is drawing comparisons to Dillon Brooks.

The downside is- he just turned 24 yrs old and he could probably be had at around the 20th pick. I think he could help the warriors and if he slips- id like to see the warriors buy a late first or early second to get him. I think he is a step up from Damion Lee or Bazemore right away. He could be a solid 9th or 10th man during his rookie season.

well see what his value is looking like around the league as the next couple months go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Jacob Evans was one step from a 2nd round pick, and he absolutely didn't work out. But the draft philosophy is VERY different from the lottery to later in the draft. Every player from a certain point down in the draft has some major issues.

I think #7 should be BPA because the talent up there is so much higher. At 14 it's more okay to look for fit and immediate help.

It's WAY too early to call the 2020 draft "crap". Please look at all the teenage bigs in the NBA and see how they do. Then factor in that Wiseman had no offseason at all which has never happened before, then he lost games to Covid which has never been a problem before, then the schedule was compressed and there were almost no practices during the season which has never happened before. Add to all that that he was coming to a team with stars he had to fit in with in one of the most complex systems in the NBA. Add to that that Myers, Kerr, and Lacob all said up front that Wiseman was raw and was going to take some time to develop.

Wiseman showed flashes of what he can do, and he showed enough to keep alive the possibility that he could be a future star.

Myers and Lacob have both said they are not going to move on from Wiseman.

The real shame of it all is that he's hurt and going to miss even more practice time.

To me, right now, I'd LOVE to come away with Barnes at 7 and Mitchell/Wagner at 14.

I'm really curious of how Jalen Johnson's interviews go since he's incredibly talented but has some real issues to answer for. It's possible he's there at 14 and while he wouldn't be a "now" fit he is intriguing.

If the team can add a couple real contributing vets it may make it easier to handle more raw rookies too.
    the biggest problem with wiseman is that he didnt seem to be getting better.

I absolutely dont doubt his ability. Thats what pisses me off the most when watching him. He just doesnt appear to have the desire to even compete for rebounds or try and contest shots in the paint. He frequently catches the ball 3 or 4 feet from the basket and rather than just turn towards the basket and try and lay it in- he steps back and winds up taking an 8 or 9 foot fade away. I dont know if he is afraid to make a mistake so he just stands around..... but if he is the talent they are talking about- his instincts should make him atleast useful being 7 1 and a great athlete.

I mean joe smith was raw too- but i remember him getting putback dunks and grabbing rebounds in traffic all the time as a rookie. LOl and joe smith wasnt great by any stretch. I thought he was gonna be a lot better after his rookie season though.

another name I am hearing would be a good fit with the warriors is Chris Duarte out of Oregon. The guy is ready to go right now. A good decision maker, a really smart defensive player and he understands he will be a role player at the pro level. He has the skill set of a poor man's Brandon Roy. He is drawing comparisons to Dillon Brooks.

The downside is- he just turned 24 yrs old and he could probably be had at around the 20th pick. I think he could help the warriors and if he slips- id like to see the warriors buy a late first or early second to get him. I think he is a step up from Damion Lee or Bazemore right away. He could be a solid 9th or 10th man during his rookie season.

well see what his value is looking like around the league as the next couple months go by.
    He's a good player, he's not special. There will almost certainly still be special players on the board.

the biggest problem with wiseman is that he didnt seem to be getting better.

I absolutely dont doubt his ability. Thats what pisses me off the most when watching him. He just doesnt appear to have the desire to even compete for rebounds or try and contest shots in the paint. He frequently catches the ball 3 or 4 feet from the basket and rather than just turn towards the basket and try and lay it in- he steps back and winds up taking an 8 or 9 foot fade away. I dont know if he is afraid to make a mistake so he just stands around..... but if he is the talent they are talking about- his instincts should make him atleast useful being 7 1 and a great athlete.

I mean joe smith was raw too- but i remember him getting putback dunks and grabbing rebounds in traffic all the time as a rookie. LOl and joe smith wasnt great by any stretch. I thought he was gonna be a lot better after his rookie season though.
    Wiseman was getting better. His biggest issue was that he was lost out there at times but he was certainly making fewer mistakes and being more in position as the season went. He also got more timid as the season went on ... to start he was just playing loose and with his instincts. He was making a lot of mistakes but it looked better at times too. You can see him just running and trying to figure out where he should be moment to moment. I think all that hurt everything about his game.

Joe Smith was older, had more college experience, was playing on a terrible team, had an offseason, had a training camp, had pre-season, had in-season practice.

No question Wiseman struggled, but if you look at the history of teenage bigs in the NBA Wiseman is right in there with history in per minute production.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Wiseman was getting better. His biggest issue was that he was lost out there at times but he was certainly making fewer mistakes and being more in position as the season went. He also got more timid as the season went on ... to start he was just playing loose and with his instincts. He was making a lot of mistakes but it looked better at times too. You can see him just running and trying to figure out where he should be moment to moment. I think all that hurt everything about his game.

Joe Smith was older, had more college experience, was playing on a terrible team, had an offseason, had a training camp, had pre-season, had in-season practice.

No question Wiseman struggled, but if you look at the history of teenage bigs in the NBA Wiseman is right in there with history in per minute production.
    I just dont think it should be a 4 yr learning curve for a guy over 7 feet tall to feel an urge to move in the direction rebounds. (Im not saying he had to secure every single rebound- but atleast make it look like he has a desire to get the ball)

I mean there are times when it looks like hes never played basketball before. A guy that talented should at the very least be able to do what javell mcgee was doing (even without being a finished product)

I just dont think it should be a 4 yr learning curve for a guy over 7 feet tall to feel an urge to move in the direction rebounds. (Im not saying he had to secure every single rebound- but atleast make it look like he has a desire to get the ball)

I mean there are times when it looks like hes never played basketball before. A guy that talented should at the very least be able to do what javell mcgee was doing (even without being a finished product)
    Who said it had to be 4 years?

I expect him to be in double digit rebounding next season.

Also I think defensive rebounding numbers are WAY over-rated. I want him getting a few offensive boards a game.

Since you brought up JaVale ... he was a 21 year old rookie and didn't rebound as well as Wiseman did last season at 19 years old.

Going from playing against high school players to the NBA is a BIG adjustment. I have to hope that he will take a huge leap forward this year.

At #7 I see the Warriors drafting Davion Mitchell easily and at #14 the Warriors drafting James Bouknight

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    At #7 I see the Warriors drafting Davion Mitchell easily and at #14 the Warriors drafting James Bouknight
    It depends on who is there at 7. If Barnes is there it might be him. Moody is also possible.

Im actually expecting Mitchell to drop. His measurements came out of the combine and hes 6 0 tall with an average wingspan. One of his best traits is a defensive stopper (but his lack of size might make gms wonder how good of a defender he can be at the next level).

The 7th pick was on kind of a best case scenerio thing even before his measurements came out..... he might be available at 12-15 now.

Unfortunately- Im hearing that Barnes is higher on peoples radar than I thought originally.... OKC will likely take him.

Or at #7 for the Warriors I can see them taking Moses Moody and then at #14 they take Franz Wagner

Im actually expecting Mitchell to drop. His measurements came out of the combine and hes 6 0 tall with an average wingspan. One of his best traits is a defensive stopper (but his lack of size might make gms wonder how good of a defender he can be at the next level).

The 7th pick was on kind of a best case scenerio thing even before his measurements came out..... he might be available at 12-15 now.

Unfortunately- Im hearing that Barnes is higher on peoples radar than I thought originally.... OKC will likely take him.
    The top 6 seem fairly well known, but there is usually a surprise early in every draft so one of them may drop, and if one does they will likely be the Warriors pick.

Mitchell isn't much smaller than expected. His issues have always been size/length/age/limited time running the team. His positives are mental/shooting/defensive quickness and effort.

There are a bunch of players with a wide range of appeal in this draft. There are 5 or 6 in that 3rd group down to 17 or so that are "ready now" players with higher floors, but there are also several who have very high potential and low floors.

Jalen Johnson is REALLY intriguing.

Or at #7 for the Warriors I can see them taking Moses Moody and then at #14 they take Franz Wagner
    They are certainly names on the list.

At 7:
    Barnes
    Moody
    Kuminga
    Jalen Johnson
    Mitchell

At 14:
    Jalen Johnson
    Springer
    Sengun
    Wagner
    Williams
    Murphy

https://www.nbadraft.net/2021-nba-dr...-measurements/

Thought everyone might be interested in the official measurements of a lot of the draft prospects. I think its important to remember that 2 yrs ago, NBA officially lists players height by their height without shoes (if you were comparing them to current players based off their listed height)

Keon Johnson listed a 48 inch vertical and Barnes had a 39.5. Some 250 lb center out of texas named Jericho Sims had a 44.5 (thats young blake griffin stuff)

Barnes had the 3rd biggest hands at the combine

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast