Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2021 Draft/ Offseason

Im not sure how many people still look at this board regularly, but I thought id get peoples thoughts on the draft and the offseason.

It looks like theres a very good chance the warriors will get the twolves pick. It should land between 5 and 8. Warriors will also have the the 16th or 17th pick. Supposedly this is thought to be a pretty strong draft.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on what we should do with the picks. Could they find a trade partner that would allow them to trade both picks for a top 5 pick?

Are there any guys likely to be around 5-8 that we think could come in and contribute on a contending team?

I like Moses Moody, Scottie Barnes and Jalen Johnson with the twolves pick (id love jalen suggs but I think he is going 2-4)

With the pick in the teens I like Franz Wagner, Josh Christopher and Kai Jones.

As far as moves in the offseason- I havent looked into free agents and other teams cap moves..... so maybe in a couple months.

I dont think we need to pay a ton for Oubre. Im ok drafting to replace him, or looking at cheaper options in free agency. I dont want bazemore or Moulder back and I wouldnt match anything crazy for JTA, I think we need to bring in an athletic big.

I would also see if we could package paschall with one of our picks to move up a little bit.

Best case scenario for Oubre is probably a sign and trade to move him out.

Don't know how much room there is on the roster for more young players, but there are several I like. Ideally they get the #4 pick in a draft where there is the biggest drop after #4. At 4 they would be certain to get one of Mobley, Suggs, or Green all of whom would work fine. Suggs is the most like a Warrior player but the least needed as he's a PG and Mobley would probably be the best fit because he's long and the defense is special while Green is a natural scorer and it should translate to elite level scorer in the NBA too.

If they end up at 5+? The next 3 guys on my board are perfect Warriors type players but none of them are shooters in Barnes, Kuminga, and Johnson.

This draft is INCREDIBLE in that the top 4 guys would have a reasonable shot at being #1 in most drafts.

The 3rd group (7-15) is where projecting talent to production is a closer thing, but still really good talent to be had there, and the Warriors may end up picking from the back end of this group too. I'd love to find some elite rebounding and post defense here.

Free agency is a much tougher thing with no money to spend.

Agreed free agency is not gonna be great this yr.
    and there will be a lot of younger players in the rotation

Thats why warriors need to make sure guys like Jordan Poole and James wiseman are consistent contributors next year. I think its time to give up on smiley because if he cant get minutes on this roster where there are no bigs at all..... he isnt nba material.

warriors also need to draft guys that can play..... they cant draft any james wiseman's where the player is useless his first yr in the league. (I honestly thought Wisemans absolute floor from day 1 would be a javell mcgee type player with a little bit better shot. (Just a guy who could catch lobs around the rim and keep balls alive. ) Its amazing how a 7 footer could be that great of an athlete and not stand out at all ont he defensive side of the ball

I saw a mock with Wagner to us at 7.

I actually really like the idea of getting a top playmaker more so than a top wing. Id look at wing with the later of the two picks.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    I saw a mock with Wagner to us at 7.

I actually really like the idea of getting a top playmaker more so than a top wing. Id look at wing with the later of the two picks.
    i saw the same draft yesterday on bleacher report. Wagner should not go in the top 10. His ceiling isnt that high. I just feel like hes a winner, and he would fit into the warriors system from day 1. There are too many good players for him to go number 7 though.

As far as getting a playmaker- again..... id love to get suggs. BUt its really looking like most of the talent going 5-10 will be wings. A player worth considering with the second pick might be Jared Butler from Baylor (I think he was the warriors pick in the same mock draft you are looking at.)
    Last edited by likemystylez; 05-12-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Wiseman's year wasn't great but his numbers are comparable to other 19 year old bigs in the NBA who ended up being good to great. The lack of a college season, an offseason, injuries, and the most complex system in the NBA certainly held him back. When he was drafted we KNEW he would struggle as a rookie.

Smiley not getting any run still is a bad sign for sure.

I think it's pretty clear Poole is over the hump and is now clearly a quality NBA player.

There are several playmaking wings in that 5+ range. I've seen Barnes compared to Magic (not a fair comparison) because of that facilitating ability. The problem with that group of players is none of them are special shooters.

This draft there are no players in the top 10 who are scary raw likely to struggle as rookies. That said, the roster next year has the starters pretty much set, and rookies often struggle early in the season on good teams if they are not starting. Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Green, Wiseman. Poole, Paschall are better than solid. Looney has a player option. Lee and Mulder are team options I would guess the team will take. I would also guess the team will want JTA back and probably keep the 2-way on Mannion. Bazemore and Oubre are free agents, I think they want Bazemore back and can get him on a minimum, Oubre is a wide open question because he will cost pretty solid money and would be unlikely to be starting. If all that happens and the Warriors use their 2 first round picks they still have an open roster spot. Ideally they do a s&t with Oubre and get a future pick for it.

apparently they did sign JTA to a 2 yr fully guaranteed deal today....... not sure I like that move, but im assuming they are paying the vet minimum- so they may have figured he will get a better offer on the open market.

I think they should keep one of (Lee, Moulder, Bazemore) and look to give the minutes to Jordan Poole, Mannion and their rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    apparently they did sign JTA to a 2 yr fully guaranteed deal today....... not sure I like that move, but im assuming they are paying the vet minimum- so they may have figured he will get a better offer on the open market.

I think they should keep one of (Lee, Moulder, Bazemore) and look to give the minutes to Jordan Poole, Mannion and their rookies.
    Always need shooters and players who can defend the wing so Lee and Baze are likely.

JTA deal makes sense the way he's been playing lately.

Having a player on the roster doesn't mean they get minutes over another player, so having Mulder doesn't mean Poole doesn't play as much. It's all about matchups.

Interested to see what Bell can do. Liked the talent/skillset. Maybe finally grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Always need shooters and players who can defend the wing so Lee and Baze are likely.

JTA deal makes sense the way he's been playing lately.

Having a player on the roster doesn't mean they get minutes over another player, so having Mulder doesn't mean Poole doesn't play as much. It's all about matchups.
    the bolded is true- but I think its very likely that the warriors use both of their picks on wings. (assuming there isnt some sort of trade targeting a specific big that isnt foreseeable right now)

So if the warriors take a couple wings (maybe Moses Moody and Jalen Johnson) then id expect them to use moulder and bazes roster spots to get a center and power forward or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Interested to see what Bell can do. Liked the talent/skillset. Maybe finally grew up.
    I wonder if he'll get a chance next season. I love his athleticism but his brain needed some growing. If he really is grown up I'd like him to stick around.

Wiseman
    Green
    JTA
    Looney
    Bell
    Paschall

That's a pretty good potential frontcourt group.

Unfortunately the only one from that group who has a natural offensive game is Paschall.

I do wonder about Smiley since his g-league game fell off this year from last year. The ONLY thing in his favor is that he's still just 20 years old.

If they draft Barnes that's another quality frontcourt player, or they could get Kai Jones with the 2nd 1st round pick but a wing probably makes more sense there.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    the bolded is true- but I think its very likely that the warriors use both of their picks on wings. (assuming there isnt some sort of trade targeting a specific big that isnt foreseeable right now)

So if the warriors take a couple wings (maybe Moses Moody and Jalen Johnson) then id expect them to use moulder and bazes roster spots to get a center and power forward or something.
    I think Kerr prefers vet bigs, so maybe they can turn Oubre into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think Kerr prefers vet bigs, so maybe they can turn Oubre into one.
    agreed- I am assuming they take wings at both of their draft spots (unless there is some sort of move we dont know about now). Regardless of what Kerr prefers- the talent in the range the warriors are likely to pick is almost exclusively wings.

I see y'all taking Keon Johnson with your 1st pick and your own pick you guys taking Kai Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    I see y'all taking Keon Johnson with your 1st pick and your own pick you guys taking Kai Jones
    No idea where the Wolves pick will be yet. Kai Jones, while possible, is not likely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast