Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    What they went with — paying to make Gostibehere disappear as a way of freeing up space to lose their shirt for Ristolainen — does not seem like it’ll end well
    yup.

these moves come with massive risk (ellis's coming off a down year, turning 30, with 6 years left on his contract*; ghost's bounce back potential if he's healthy; ristolainen's career underachievement and impending free agency; the picks and players we lost along the way), and the potential upside feels very limited.

even if these moves solve the problems they're intended to solve, what happens if couturier gets injured? what happens if giroux's/voracek's/JVR's production falls off a cliff? what happens if hart breaks down again? what happens if all of these young players (the ones that will make it to the start of the season, anyway) **** the bed again? this roster is made of glass, and if any number of things go wrong, it will shatter (again).

*ellis is still an acceptable risk, imo, mostly because the cost of acquisition was right.
    Last edited by steagles; 07-23-2021 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    I feel like this states exactly how I really feel...I want to feel good about it, but I just can't...I loved the Ellis deal...Felt a little meh about the Ghost move (would have been okay if we went for a homerun kind of signing or trade)...and I just HATE this move...I want to like it, but I feel like we traded for a younger and worse version of Braun...
    Yeah, I like, don't love the Ellis deal. There's inherent risk (Ellis didn't have a great year, is signed for a while), but I think asset management was fine for the risk taken. It's a solid B/B-. Ghost...I began to get worried. They paid a steep price to simply create cap space. It made it clear; JVR/Voracek are anchors. But I'd go with like a C-...it's not a good deal, but it created space the Flyers could have gotten creative with. Instead, they used it for an F- type of a trade. And it's been suggested by Charlie O'Connor that the Flyers now may not have the cap space to get everything else they need done with the remaining ~$8m or so they have. So another move will likely have to happen.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-23-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Literally the only positive to take from this deal is it's going to get Fletcher **** canned. A lot of us knew it was probably not going to end well with Fletcher being brought in. It's all coming to a head now.

Only thing left is Hexy to rape us to unload JVR or Jake to the Pens for cap space.......

Literally the only positive to take from this deal is it's going to get Fletcher **** canned. A lot of us knew it was probably not going to end well with Fletcher being brought in. It's all coming to a head now.
    what makes you think that fletcher is going to get less leeway from ownership than hextall?

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    I'm going to be extremely optimistic here. In chuck I'm going to trust
    Lol

So we trade a way more affordable player and maybe better upside guy in Myers for someone who is marginally better right now … and move Patty + 1st + 2 2nds + ghost for Ellis?

You’re kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    So we trade a way more affordable player and maybe better upside guy in Myers for someone who is marginally better right now … and move Patty + 1st + 2 2nds + ghost for Ellis?

You’re kidding right?
    not we paid a 1st, 2 2nds, ghost, 7th rounder for RISTO

fletcher absolutely ****ed us. This screams andrew Macdonald to me. Risto might come out and have a decent year, followed by a 5 million contract for 5 years. After his first "meh" year we will be miserable for the next 4-5. I would be genuinely surprised if he does well and even if he does....is he the missing piece we have been waiting for? **** no it isn't. Now we are more strapped then ever

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post

You’re kidding right?
    ellis was a great move... getting rid of ghost also a great move. The issue is our recent trade for a guy that isnt that good and cost us the 13th pick plus hagg and a 2nd.

I'm not a fan of the trade but realistically who cares about the draft picks. What have they done for us, won for us, gotten us? Really, every draft pick is a risk, just like every trade or FA acquisition. Sure, could our resources been used better elsewhere, of course, but they didn't, so whatever, I'll live with it and see what happens.
    Last edited by phillyphan4; 07-24-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Phillies/Eagles/Flyers/Sixers/Union/Arsenal

Atkinson for Voracek seems to be brewing. I'm getting worried about another trade I'm going to not enjoy. Voracek has a bigger AAV but Atkinson is signed for longer (3 vs 4 years). I'm tired of players signed through age 35 and I have no want to add more. If it's straight up and the cap doesn't stay flat years 3 and 4 maybe this works okay...but 34 and 35 year old Cam Atkinson years probably don't look good on a $5.8m cap hit.

It's done. Pending final details.

Update: One for one. No salary retention. Makes it a bit better. It gets the Flyers cap space to finish their roster and sign RFAs and a backup by taking on cap hit for the future. Probably okay. But adding a year probably isn't great. Could have been worse. Sad to see Vorack have to go like this. But probably time. I originally feared retention or a pick going back but at 1 to 1...its fine. Not great. But fine.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-24-2021 at 12:28 PM.

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/sta...864253972?s=19

Good pick by the Flyers in the 2nd. Good year to find value in the 2nd with the weird covid years.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I'm fine with the Cam for Voracek trade. Solid B-, C+ trade.

Kinda of how I feel about the pick. There were better players on the board, but it's a fine pick. I'd rather have taken Ville and a handful of other guys instead though.

atkinson: 5'8"
    konecny: 5'10"
    giroux: 5'11"
    farabee: 6'0"
    NAK: 5'11"
    frost: 5'11"
    lindblom: 6'1"

i have...concerns.

sometimes i'm right:

[trading patrick and myers for ellis] is not a "build for the future" move, and this is not going to be a "build for the future" offseason; this is going to be a "rock, flag and eagle" offseason.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast