Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 318
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    58,744
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Jake, probably, but JVR may possibly be doable. He is a streaky goal scorer and when placed on the PP he is one of the best in front of the net at getting his stick on the puck. He did great on the PP for us without having a guy that could consistently get the puck through. I think someone might be willing to take his cap hit of 7M per (being paid 7M and 5M over the next 2 years tho). It may take a little something, but I don't think nearly as much as Ghost.

    I will like this trade if we are able to get someone like Dougie as an FA because then it feels more like Ghost, a 2022 2nd, and a 2022 7th for Dougie and ~4M over 7 years...not a terrible trade at that point.
    I think it's wishful thinking. It took a 2nd round pick to move Ghost who has a $4.5m cap hit and 2 years. JVR is a fine player but I think expecting any team to take the salary is fools gold right now unless the Flyers are attaching major draft assets or taking back a bad contract.

    I think the Flyers are stuck here. The cap is expected to remain flat for the next few years. Teams don't love over 30 year old wingers on $7m+ contracts. And many, many teams are in disadvantaged cap situations. I'd expect them both to be here next year with little hope of moving them for a deal that realistically helps the team.

    Maybe they are traded but I fear the return will not be one many enjoy.

    The cap saved will almost assuredly go to Hart, Sanheim and a backup goalie. That will eat up almost all of the 11.5 we have. Doug Hamilton shipped when they got Ellis. I doubt the Flyers will stop trying to make moves (it was indicated today they'd be willing to trade 13) but it's likely going to take a lot of creativity to change much of the upper end of the roster at this point.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-22-2021 at 05:40 PM.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I think it's wishful thinking. It took a 2nd round pick to move Ghost who has a $4.5m cap hit and 2 years. JVR is a fine player but I think expecting any team to take the salary is fools gold right now unless the Flyers are attaching major draft assets or taking back a bad contract.

    I think the Flyers are stuck here. The cap is expected to remain flat for the next few years. Teams don't love over 30 year old wingers on $7m+ contracts. And many, many teams are in disadvantaged cap situations. I'd expect them both to be here next year with little hope of moving them for a deal that realistically helps the team.

    Maybe they are traded but I fear the return will not be one many enjoy.

    The cap saved will almost assuredly go to Hart, Sanheim and a backup goalie. That will eat up almost all of the 11.5 we have. Doug Hamilton shipped when they got Ellis. I doubt the Flyers will stop trying to make moves (it was indicated today they'd be willing to trade 13) but it's likely going to take a lot of creativity to change much of the upper end of the roster at this point.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    I see what you're saying and all, but JVR has a market for win now teams that need PP help, or a cap floor team that need a marketable name. It may not be that they take a trade w/ assets coming back to Philly, but they can surely take a trade for something like JVR and 3rd with Philly retaining 1M-2M salary for their 5th (Think Seattle who still is far below the floor and has no really marketable name right now). That's possible but not really probable, I agree.

    We have 13.85ish in cap right now. Signing Sanheim will take the most with around 4.5M going. Hart is not getting much...probably a bridge deal, but it will be around 3M at most. Elliot will probably sign for around 1-1.5M. We should have around 5M (at worst...probably closer to 6M) at that point before making anymore trades or roster moves. Swapping Cates for Frost is a wash on the roster right now (actually get some money back). Tanner for Allison would be a wash too. Adding York loses about 880k so that would bring us to around 4.25M Cap space...

    Jake is the key here. It's been announced we are going to try to trade him. For what becomes the question. You can't really gauge the market on Jake the same as Ghost because Jake actually has been producing and playing in games. It just his contract is inflated due to the market regression influenced by COVID. We could see the flyers trade Jake for a late pick and retain a couple million...That's a feasible deal for a team like Seattle who may then only have to be 5.5, 4.25, 5.5 each year to Jake while getting an 6.25 hit (gets to floor and a marketable name again). I dont know, I see some paths to making that work.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,591
    What did you guys really expect with Ghost? Nobody wanted to take him for free, so you didn't think we'd have to pay to get rid of his contract? I would've preferred that that the picks were 2021 picks, but it is what it is.

    Jake+ for Tarasenko deal seems feasible bc it would be a change of scenery deal.

    Zero chance Sanheim only get 4.5m.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,505
    We couldnít even get a case of beer in return for ghost. More than likely Jake will be back. Canít see any team wanting an 8m+ wing that canít score.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,843
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    What did you guys really expect with Ghost? Nobody wanted to take him for free, so you didn't think we'd have to pay to get rid of his contract? I would've preferred that that the picks were 2021 picks, but it is what it is.

    Jake+ for Tarasenko deal seems feasible bc it would be a change of scenery deal.

    Zero chance Sanheim only get 4.5m.
    I'm going to be extremely optimistic here. But a deal like

    Flyers get : tarasenko
    Blues get : voracek
    Seattle eats : 4 million of above contracts and gets multiple picks+

    Seattle can still weaponize their short term cap space and add future assets. Things they need. Things that will help in the long run.

    Maybe the flyers aren't the team that ends up utilizing that cap space, but someone will. In chuck I'm going to trust

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,515
    What did you guys really expect with Ghost? Nobody wanted to take him for free, so you didn't think we'd have to pay to get rid of his contract? I would've preferred that that the picks were 2021 picks, but it is what it is.
    personally, i didn't think we had to get rid of his contract at all. 2 years at 4.5 million for a 4th/5th defenseman/PP QB isn't killing this team.

    in his press conference, fletcher said that "one team asked for cam york, and another wanted a first round pick". if those were the offers fletcher got (i have doubts about that, fwiw), the proper response is not to continue panhandling around the league, it's to tell those GMs "i don't ever want to hear from you again. lose my ****ing number, you scumbag piece of ****."


    the timing of this reeks of desperation and insecurity. teams don't want to add salary before free agency, which means this is the worst time of year to trade salary, unless it's a pure cap dump (which this never should have been). when free agency settles down after a week or two, there are other teams that have unexpected amounts of cap space that might be willing to rent that space out. when training camp opens, there are teams that get hit by injuries and need live bodies. if nothing else, the timing of this trade is rotten.



    i'm willing to reserve my final judgement until i see what he does with this cap space, but right now, i'm about as done with this ****ing guy as i was with hextall.
    Last edited by steagles; 07-22-2021 at 09:16 PM.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    What did you guys really expect with Ghost? Nobody wanted to take him for free, so you didn't think we'd have to pay to get rid of his contract? I would've preferred that that the picks were 2021 picks, but it is what it is.

    Jake+ for Tarasenko deal seems feasible bc it would be a change of scenery deal.

    Zero chance Sanheim only get 4.5m.
    What are you thinking he would get? He just had a pretty bad season but had pretty big minutes which is the only reason he would get in the 4.5 AAV area. To kind of compare...Darnell Nurse was graded better and I believe was heading into UFA and signed a 2 year 5.6 AAV contract. If I'm not mistaken, Travis has one more year of RFA eligibility and we'd only be "buying" UFA years after that. It's likely we see something in the 2 to 3 year range and between 4-4.5M AAV for Travis. He is coming off a down year, but averaged just under 22 minutes per game (Nurse was over 24 minutes). Nurse is far more polished both offensively and defensively as well...On top of that we're in COVID cap era so in no world should Travis exceed 4.5 AAV...definitely not beyond 5 AAV on an overpay.

    I would agree with the rest of what you said though RE: Jake and the trade...It was obviously going to be an asset move on our part to recoup that money. No one really could have seen this coming when we signed Ghost though. Hak and Hextall really hurt his growth though. ...why would you prefer the picks were this years? Just wondering...We have a high 2nd this year so shouldn't we keep it? Or are you thinking since so many prospects are kind of not scouted/in practice because of COVID you would prefer not to be in the crap shoot this year?
    Last edited by LLMunchie619; 07-22-2021 at 09:28 PM.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    personally, i didn't think we had to get rid of his contract at all. 2 years at 4.5 million for a 4th/5th defenseman/PP QB isn't killing this team.

    in his press conference, fletcher said that "one team asked for cam york, and another wanted a first round pick". if those were the offers fletcher got (i have doubts about that, fwiw), the proper response is not to continue panhandling around the league, it's to tell those GMs "i don't ever want to hear from you again. lose my ****ing number, you scumbag piece of ****."


    the timing of this reeks of desperation and insecurity. teams don't want to add salary before free agency, which means this is the worst time of year to trade salary, unless it's a pure cap dump (which this never should have been). when free agency settles down after a week or two, there are other teams that have unexpected amounts of cap space that might be willing to rent that space out. when training camp opens, there are teams that get hit by injuries and need live bodies. if nothing else, the timing of this trade is rotten.



    i'm willing to reserve my final judgement until i see what he does with this cap space, but right now, i'm about as done with this ****ing guy as i was with hextall.

    I understand what you're saying, but at the same time we just aren't playing him. If you aren't going to play him, I'd prefer you move him and try to do something with his money. I'm like you in that I am trying to reserve judgement until I see what is done with the space. We have to sign someone on Defense at this point though...we only have 6 on the roster don't we? And that's counting York......We have York, Ellis, Provy, Sanheim, Braun, and Hagg right? Braun and Hagg are no better than #6 and #7 defenseman at best...

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,321
    Another option is to let a team OS Sanheim and get a 1st and 3rd next year for him. lol

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    118,365
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    that is a really bad deal.


    let's see what they do with the cap room.
    its a fine deal to get rid of trash and it needed to be done so we have room... how were we taking on ellis contract and add to the team?

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    393
    I wonder if the team ever thought to try to convert him to a winger like they tried with Morin? Ghost might've made an alright F.

    That's the past now....

    Let's see what Fletcher does with that Cap space that cost a 2nd rounder in this deal.

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,871
    I don't see them making anymore moves on D.

    Provy Ellis
    Sanheim Braun
    York Hagg

    Extras Morin Zamula

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    393
    Fletcher better deliver on his statement "I expect to have a better team by the end of next Wednesday"....Why next Wednesday?

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    58,744
    The Flyers have acquired Rasmus Ristolainen for Hagg and 2 picks.

    Waiting on word from the 2 picks. If it's for their 1st I'm going to hate this. He's not faired well in Buffalo so far, and while I understand Buffalo has been a difficult team to play for, he's not delivered on heavy minutes. Rumor is that it's for the 1st, however. Meaning the Flyers will have dealt 1st and 2nd round picks to clear Ghost and acquire Ristolainen, who's put up really poor metrics across the board.

    UPDATE: the picks appear to be a 1st in 2021, and a 2nd in 2023. Yep. I ****ing hate this trade. Even if he's going to be better with 2nd pairing time...you traded a very high pick...for a player you're hoping with limited minutes will be better. That's not a good asset usage. Ugh. He's also only signed to a single year. So it's not like they got some long term piece. I have no faith in a long term deal with a player who's not shown the ability to play great metrically, either, so even if they sign him to an extension now, you're paying for hopes and dreams. So it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. You're doubling down on the payment acquisition cost; which might be an Andrew MacDonald situation (give a guy a contract on what you think he'll be, only to find out, whoopsies, he isn't). It doesn't make the asset management any better.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-23-2021 at 02:19 PM.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    2
    Holy crap smh

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •