Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    yeah, i'm good with the move.

i just thought it was worth pointing out that this is not a "build for the future" move, and this is not going to be a "build for the future" offseason; this is going to be a "rock, flag and eagle" offseason.
    I mean we haven't been building for the future for at least a couple years now.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Phil Myers leaving hurts a little, Patrick officially failing in Philly hurts a little.

The flyers biggest weakness was a #1 RD. They got it. In spades.

Chuck kept the #1, and all the prospects. I can't find a reason to not like this deal, other than the 6 years left for Ellis. Id prefer it be 4, but whatever. Good luck to the kids.

Now,
    -jettison JVR and Jakes money.
    -Add another top four RHD ideally
    -middle six center
    -middle six wing
    -backup goalie. Not a 1B. A legit backup. Someone who won't put any extra pressure on hart. Yet is good enough to play 20 games.
    -some grit
    -some speed

Still got some work to do.
    Patrick failing doesn't hurt if you had already made your peace a long time ago that he's not that good. Would've loved to move him a few years ago for ROR and have a legitimate 1-2 punch down the middle, but this will certainly do. They finally have a legitimate top pair now that can play 25+ mins a night and take some of the pressure off their 2nd and 3rd pairs.

Still would love to jettison Hayes and his contract for a legitimate high end 2nd line center.

Some will point to just signing Phillip Danault, but I would be wary of handing out a big contract to Danault. He's likely to get term and possibly upwards of 6 mil per season on the open market and he was legitimately bad this year.

If you're looking for a 1-2 year bandaid, maybe you can convince David Krekci to sign. He's still been highly productive as Boston's 2nd like center despite Boston stacking Burgeron's line and giving Krejci medicare wingers to work with.

This one probably won't be popular given his antics in recent years, but Washington appears ready to move on from Kuznetsov. Definitely a tough one bc there is a lot of risk there, but presents an upgrade from Hayes. Perhaps a Hayes for Kuznetsov swap? Washington appears to want to add more grit to their lineup after multiple 1st Rd exits starting with the Vrana for Mantha trade.

It's going to be an interesting summer regardless.

This is a fine trade but has significant risk attached to it. We can't ignore that. Ellis was not great last year. He was fine...but not great. Last year was a weird year. Maybe it was a weird year that effected him. Maybe he's 30 and declining. Neither are off the table, neither should be glossed over. Both are realistic. Myers should probably get the same treatment. There's the possibility that he still has 1st line potential, but it could be that he's just not a 1st line guy. Or it could be a weird year. Or he's just not that good. Patrick? Whatever. That part I don't care much about.

Secondly, the contract, while not awful, is long. If he's coming off a weird year and is a 1st line guy and Ryan Ellis moving forward? It's a pretty good one. If he's declining...well the last thing the Flyers need is another 30+ year old signed through his mid 30s on a decline. They already have contracts like Voracek and JVR we would like to jettison, and while I still like Hayes, that contract is long too. Adding Ellis to that train isn't a great idea if he's just...not Ryan Ellis any more.

The trade is fine withing a vacuum. It's risky. It's a gamble. If Ellis is Ellis, and Myers is a 3/4, you upgrade your team, and the cap hit is manageable. If it's the other way, it could hurt. But I think it's a fine gamble to take on its own merit. I'm not against it, but what I don't want to do is watch Fletcher mortgage the future to save his ***, either. I'm a Philadelphia Flyer fan and not a Chuck Fletcher fan. I couldn't care less if he's got the GM job or not from that perspective, only that the Flyers put a productive team together both in the interim and for a while. If he does that? Super. I'm all for winning now, but winning now and the future be damned just so Chuck doesn't get the can isn't what I want, either. The team isn't in the ballpark of the Lightning or anyone yet, even after this trade. I don't want Fletcher to completely kill the future just for a 2nd place divisional finish and a 2nd round knockout. So how I ultimately feel about this trade will likely be within the context of the offseason in the full. It could be a great start to an offseason in which the Flyers can open up a 4-5 year run of being a top team in the Metro. It could start a "save my ***" offseason.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-18-2021 at 09:21 AM.

I'd say that it's more than likely that Myers just isn't that good. I think fans have overrated his upside for quite a while. Can he be a solid 4? Sure, but I think that's his ceiling. Ellis even in decline is a solid upgrade for at least the 1st 3-4 years of that contract over Myers.

Go get Suter now and have Sanheim play the right side. There's an abundance of left shot defenders to round out the bottom of this roster as well. Also, I wonder and worry if Sanheim and or York will be dangled for a right shot defender.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    I'd say that it's more than likely that Myers just isn't that good. I think fans have overrated his upside for quite a while. Can he be a solid 4? Sure, but I think that's his ceiling. Ellis even in decline is a solid upgrade for at least the 1st 3-4 years of that contract over Myers.

Go get Suter now and have Sanheim play the right side. There's an abundance of left shot defenders to round out the bottom of this roster as well. Also, I wonder and worry if Sanheim and or York will be dangled for a right shot defender.
    I'm not sure he was overrated yet. Last year is a hard year to really grab a lot of information from. It wasn't just fans. He was considered a potential top pairing defenseman by many in the scouting community. There's plenty of time for 2020-2021 to just be a very weird year for us all, Myers included. There's a very real chance his potential won't be reached and he settles in as a 3/4, but I won't write him off yet. Defenseman take time. I wish him all the best. I hope he gets there for his sake.

It's a gamble. Like I said, I think I'm a vacuum it's the kind of gamble to take. I just don't want to see it become a trend, as you said, by then dealing off Sanheim or York, too. I'm fine with this kind of gamble as long as it's not the start of the "Chuck Fletcher saves his job" tour of trading future for immediate over and over. Long ways to go, so I'm not worried yet that'll be the case.

Well, I'll preface this by saying that I never thought Myers had the kind of potential to reach legitimate top pairing status. He's the kind of piece you trade if it gets you a legitimate top end player. This trade was well done by Fletcher, but as you said I hope this doesn't become a trend of completely selling off the futures in an attempt to put all their chips in on this season.

Last season the Flyers just looked like a team that had no real chemistry on their lines. I'm hoping with a real training camp and exhibition season that any new players they bring in here will be able to gel with the existing players.

I hope Fletcher isn't content with this ONE move for Ellis. This team still needs shooters. If Tarasenko is healthy I'd aim for him either from STL or from SEA....it's a questionable move due to health concerns but he would be the finisher this team is lacking. Maybe bring a guy like Mike Hoffman in if both JVR and Voracek are moved...

As the roster freeze is set to lift at 1 today, I have to expect numerous moves announced today.

One name I'm interested in is Sam Reinhart. What would the cost be? What's his next contract look like? Can the flyers figure it out?

Ghost will be dealt to the Coyotes, seemingly.

https://twitter.com/CraigSMorgan/sta...561871362?s=19

A 2nd, a 7th, and Ghost to ARZ. Seems a lot to unload Ghost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

that is a really bad deal.

let's see what they do with the cap room.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    that is a really bad deal.

let's see what they do with the cap room.
    If that's what moving ghosts contract costs... Imagine what Jakes will cost if money doesn't come back the other way

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Many teams have money to unload and most were hoping Seattle would save them. Seattle didn't so now all of those teams are stuck trying to unload salary to each other. It's not an easy market.

It's going to be nearly impossible to unload Vorack or JVR without getting another bad contract back or simply paying through your nose prospect wise to do it.

Who's getting bought out?

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Many teams have money to unload and most were hoping Seattle would save them. Seattle didn't so now all of those teams are stuck trying to unload salary to each other. It's not an easy market.

It's going to be nearly impossible to unload Vorack or JVR without getting another bad contract back or simply paying through your nose prospect wise to do it.

Jake, probably, but JVR may possibly be doable. He is a streaky goal scorer and when placed on the PP he is one of the best in front of the net at getting his stick on the puck. He did great on the PP for us without having a guy that could consistently get the puck through. I think someone might be willing to take his cap hit of 7M per (being paid 7M and 5M over the next 2 years tho). It may take a little something, but I don't think nearly as much as Ghost.

I will like this trade if we are able to get someone like Dougie as an FA because then it feels more like Ghost, a 2022 2nd, and a 2022 7th for Dougie and ~4M over 7 years...not a terrible trade at that point.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast