Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    I still hate the idea but had to hear that **** Lauri Lightfoot response which was to me so disrespectful. Saying they are under lease and the nfl won't let them move as opposed to showing any type of you know desire to keep the team there. Basically saying **** you guys your stuck here. And I still hate that ***** after she wanted the bears to do more for thr community in order to get fans in the stands while other cities open stadiums at least at limited occupancy.

Here is the quote I saw

I've seen a couple of reports. But a couple of data points that I think you should be aware of are the Bears have a lease with Soldier Field until 2033 and the NFL doesn't let any teams break their leases, Lightfoot said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports....142936416.html

And BTW im not trying to turn this into a political argument. Fwiw I think everyone on both sides pretty much hates that ***** right now.

Kinda hope the bears Bluff hard on this moving idea to get the stadium rebuild the way it should have been originally.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Lol, seriously couldn't get past that quote or read the whole article, I'll add more quotes for you below.

How was it even disrespectful to state a fact to a reporter?

Chicago stadiums are opening, the Bulls just had fans. Bears don't play games right now, so they cant have fans lol.

Not trying to turn this into a political argument, but it shouldn't be acceptable to have wah wah rage freakouts when you hear something you don't like from a democrat because the old president did it for years. You should still look at context and facts, even if it's inconvenient for your agenda.

I was just on a call with a senior leadership in the last two weeks. So there are things that they'd like to see differently at Soldier Field, and we want to do whatever we can to accommodate it, Lightfoot said. It's a great iconic site, but it's a challenging site.
    I think it's incumbent upon us as a city to step up and look at ways in which we can make sure that Bears fans, but also the Bears as an organization, have the best opportunities to maximize the fan experience and of course, maximize revenues. So we're going to keep those conversations going, Lightfoot said.

Quote Originally Posted by toovey107 View Post
    Really dislike the idea of moving to the suburbs but whatever. I don't go to games anyways.
    I get it but Chicago SHOULD NOT have the smallest stadium in the NFL. That's embarrassing. Even Jax stadium can hold more fans (not that they can draw those fans but they can hold more).
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    I get it but Chicago SHOULD NOT have the smallest stadium in the NFL. That's embarrassing. Even Jax stadium can hold more fans (not that they can draw those fans but they can hold more).
    Ive heard for years that NFL teams make most of their money from tv deals. Even if they make the new stadium 100k capacity is it really worth spending what Im sure will be around a billion for a new stadium? I mean they play 8 games a year.

I don't want to make this political, but here's why the Chicago Mayor and former President suck...

Some of you can't help yourselves with this ****. Make your way to the cesspool/political forum, if you want to spout that nonsense. It'd be cool if we don't ruin this forum by going down that path, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    Ive heard for years that NFL teams make most of their money from tv deals. Even if they make the new stadium 100k capacity is it really worth spending what Im sure will be around a billion for a new stadium? I mean they play 8 games a year.
    I doubt the organization would be financing a brand new stadium on their own. They're likely receiving a ton of private financing and subsidies from the city or county to make it happen, which could be why the mayor is chiming in. I doubt the city or county can afford it in the near term, so it'd probably have to be mostly private financing and the McCaskey family paying for it, similar to what Kroenke did when he moved the Rams to LA.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I don't want to make this political, but here's why the Chicago Mayor and former President suck...

Some of you can't help yourselves with this ****. Make your way to the cesspool/political forum, if you want to spout that nonsense. It'd be cool if we don't ruin this forum by going down that path, again.
    Sorry Goat, you're right. Just thought he intentionally ignored the rest of the article he posted to rip the mayor. Don't really have a strong opinion of her, just thought it was dishonest.

I'll contain myself in the future if it annoys people, but not if I see some BS.
    Last edited by ds637; 05-10-2021 at 01:06 PM.

I doubt the organization would be financing a brand new stadium on their own. They're likely receiving a ton of private financing and subsidies from the city or county to make it happen, which could be why the mayor is chiming in. I doubt the city or county can afford it in the near term, so it'd probably have to be mostly private financing and the McCaskey family paying for it, similar to what Kroenke did when he moved the Rams to LA.
    I understand all that. But the Rams had no stadium. So they had to do that. The Bears have what is a fairly new stadium with the early 2000s renovation. Seems crazy to move to the burbs and spend all that money on a new building when Soldier isnt terrible right now. I understand that it sucks logistically. But still seems crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    Sorry Goat, you're right. Just thought he intentionally ignored the rest of the article he posted to rip the mayor. Don't really have a strong opinion of her, just thought it was dishonest.

I'll contain myself in the future if it annoys people, but not if I see some BS.
    My reaction was probably too strong and I'm not trying to be a dick, just really tired of the political stuff in general. Personally, I follow sports, have other hobbies, and visit places like this to avoid all the nastiness inherent in politics and the division going on in the real world. I just don't want to see this forum go down that path because it's going to push out the few regulars we have left IMO.

While it "kinda" worked for early 2000'ish stadiums, it was caught in the weird period of stadiums going super-sized. I think it would be great to take the wrecking ball to Soldier Field, and build a massive retro stadium on the lake front.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wonderful View Post
    While it "kinda" worked for early 2000'ish stadiums, it was caught in the weird period of stadiums going super-sized. I think it would be great to take the wrecking ball to Soldier Field, and build a massive retro stadium on the lake front.
    I'd like this more than moving to the suburbs. Soldier Field is in an excellent location. Tear that **** down.

This would be the ideal scenario IMO.

My reaction was probably too strong and I'm not trying to be a dick, just really tired of the political stuff in general. Personally, I follow sports, have other hobbies, and visit places like this to avoid all the nastiness inherent in politics and the division going on in the real world. I just don't want to see this forum go down that path because it's going to push out the few regulars we have left IMO.
    You're good man. Me restating the "I'm not trying to turn this into a political argument," was definitely me being a dick.

I get your whole train of thought. I'm really sorry, just feel like this can't really be addressed without bringing politics into it. I'll keep it unbiased. I've never seen sports used politically like this before. I remember as a child Bush throwing out the first pitch after 9/11 Back when rep/dem, we believed our leaders supported all of us. Sports were always a uniting force. I saw sports weaponized politically recently. I hate it so much. I welcome whatever these guys want to do with their spotlight. If I disagree, I don't really care, these guys don't affect my life beyond entertainment. Also, when did it become a thing to hate and not want to watch something because you disagree with their stance on something? Did people forget what America is supposed to be?

I hope things go back to normal now. But politics has become more of a team based thing, rather than rational thought thing. So it's probably going to continue to creep into things we don't want it to. The best we can do is to agree to try not to bring it here guess.
    Last edited by ds637; 05-11-2021 at 03:08 PM.

This would be the ideal scenario IMO.
    I don't think they can since it's a City Landmark. They'd have to get the blessing of City Hall and the Mayor to so something like that.

Soldier Field=nostalgia, which is overrated these days. Its amazing that the Bears are a top 10 franchise in terms of value despite NOT OWNING their stadium.

I think its time to leave and go build a stadium you have full control over. For people saying the commute is too difficult; two things 1) Metra Exists and 2) the LSD game traffic isn't exactly delightful at the moment.

For everyone else that thinks it's weird/wrong to have a stadium outside of your namesake (i.e. "Arlington is not Chicago!") You haven't been paying attention:

-San Fran Niners play in Santa Clara; 40 miles from the city. No One Cares

-The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, TX; 20 miles away. No one cares

-The New England Patriots (formerly the Boston Patriots) play in Foxborough, MA; 30 miles away from Boston. No One Cares.

-The Giants and Jets have played their "home" games in a completely different state for 30 years. No one cares.

-If we move to a stadium we get to customize and own, that's a win-win. You think the NFL doesn't want to have a SB in Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by flclfanman View Post
    I don't think they can since it's a City Landmark. They'd have to get the blessing of City Hall and the Mayor to so something like that.

Soldier Field=nostalgia, which is overrated these days. Its amazing that the Bears are a top 10 franchise in terms of value despite NOT OWNING their stadium.

I think its time to leave and go build a stadium you have full control over. For people saying the commute is too difficult; two things 1) Metra Exists and 2) the LSD game traffic isn't exactly delightful at the moment.

For everyone else that thinks it's weird/wrong to have a stadium outside of your namesake (i.e. "Arlington is not Chicago!") You haven't been paying attention:

-San Fran Niners play in Santa Clara; 40 miles from the city. No One Cares

-The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, TX; 20 miles away. No one cares

-The New England Patriots (formerly the Boston Patriots) play in Foxborough, MA; 30 miles away from Boston. No One Cares.

-The Giants and Jets have played their "home" games in a completely different state for 30 years. No one cares.

-If we move to a stadium we get to customize and own, that's a win-win. You think the NFL doesn't want to have a SB in Chicago?
    I'd have to find it, but I thought it lost that designation after the renovation. Maybe it was the Tea and Crumpet crowd throwing a tantrum, I don't remember. I would think ANY stadium build would have some back-alley partial city ownership tied to it. Especially being in a prime location like the lakefront. It would be cool if the Bears owned their own stadium, but there's no way they eat the full cost.

I'd have to find it, but I thought it lost that designation after the renovation. Maybe it was the Tea and Crumpet crowd throwing a tantrum, I don't remember. I would think ANY stadium build would have some back-alley partial city ownership tied to it. Especially being in a prime location like the lakefront. It would be cool if the Bears owned their own stadium, but there's no way they eat the full cost.
    You're right. I just checked and Soldier Field Lost it's Landmark status in 2006, so they could expand and renovate it again, but they'd be left with the same issue. They wouldn't own it.

So they can either by the rights from the City/Chicago Park District or build their own stadium. I think the latter is the easiest to do and would have less red tape to cut through.

I think it's silly that they wouldn't eat the whole costs given the amount of revenue they currently make and the future boon in revenue they will undoubtedly will have in the next decade; especially with Fields on the team.

With your own stadium, you have endless $$$ opportunities:

-Hotels
    -Airport Shuttle companies
    -Restaurants/amusements
    -merchandising
    and more

Look at what the Packers did; turning that hole-in-the-wall Green bay into a sports-theme amusement park.
    Last edited by flclfanman; 05-12-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast