Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 268
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,690
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Eh, people are freaking out about the bullpen because of two bad games. RPs are not perfect, they will blow a game here and there. Happens to all of them, even the best. Lasagna clearly didn't have it last night but the defense also let him down. Green also didn't look great but the pitch that Altuve hit for a HR was ridiculous high and inside at his eyes. It is unreal that he was able to drive that pitch out of the park. Can't even fault Green there and just have to tip your cap to Altuve.
    Agree my exact thought, not only how did he barrel it up, but why is he swinging at that pitch up in his eyes!

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,003
    Wow, bleacher report is picking Higgy to make the AS team as the AL backup. They also have Cole Chapman and Stanton as our representatives. It would be shocking and incredibly awesome if Higgy made the AS team.https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...1-roster-picks

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    But it still makes no sense to say he lost a step or two at second while saying he is better defensively at third or first when he hasn’t played there much . I mean if at his age he has lost a step or two like you said , wouldn’t it be reasonable to assume his defense has suffered a bit at first and third ?
    thats where you got yourself into trouble in this argument, you assumed instead of checking the data.

    That data shows he's not the elite, GG defender at 2nd base that he was in his 20's and he's actually been better defensively this yr at 1st vs 2nd.

    Since DJ started playing pro ball he played all 4 INF position coming up until he won the 2nd base job in 2015. He had a 4yr stretch that he almost exclusively played 2nd but the rest of his career he's always been a utility guy

    When he first signed here, he came here knowing he was going to be a utility guy. Moving around the INF certainly hasn't effected his play in the past, why would it now.

    As far as hi defensively, how many middle INF can u name that didn't start to lose a step when they got into their mid-30's? Even if you wanted to say he's lost a step or 2 defensively at 1st and 3rd, which might be true, doesn't mean he isn't still a very good defender at those positions
    Last edited by dayners81; 05-08-2021 at 02:55 PM.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    38,466
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    thats where you got yourself into trouble in this argument, you assumed instead of checking the data.

    That data shows he's not the elite, GG defender at 2nd base that he was in his 20's and he's actually been better defensively this yr at 1st vs 2nd.

    Since DJ started playing pro ball he played all 4 INF position coming up until he won the 2nd base job in 2015. He had a 4yr stretch that he almost exclusively played 2nd but the rest of his career he's always been a utility guy

    When he first signed here, he came here knowing he was going to be a utility guy. Moving around the INF certainly hasn't effected his play in the past, why would it now.

    As far as hi defensively, how many middle INF can u name that didn't start to lose a step when they got into their mid-30's? Even if you wanted to say he's lost a step or 2 defensively at 1st and 3rd, which might be true, doesn't mean he isn't still a very good defender at those positions
    Day, the key phrase is "start to lose a step when they got to their mid 30s. DJ isn't there yet. Do I except him to decline over the next couple years as a second baseman? Yes. Do I think he will fall off a cliff? No.
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 05-08-2021 at 03:27 PM.



    Ignorance is bliss

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    38,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Depends on the situation . When it comes to throws the 3b covers more ground . When it comes to area the ss covers the most ground . Dj is not a short stop anyway so I dunno why the ss position is being brought up .
    Third base is actually tougher than second because quick reflexes and speed are needed to cover the line drive hits down the line and that happens often since most hitters are right handed . And we all know the reflexes and speed are the first things to go when a player ages. Third base is called the hot corner for a reason .



    Goal posts are basically on a giant, merry go round, escalator and conveyor belt, at this point.
    You are like a carnie. "Hey, step right up. Ride the magic Goal posts! You never know where you will land!"



    Ignorance is bliss

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    38,466
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Again you relocate the goal post! The question wasn't reaction time, it was range. What position requires more RANGE.

    We were NOT discussing arm strength and the difficult throw, we were discussing RANGE. The 2B and SS require more, that is the reason SS was mentioned. Just to cover all the bases in case your argument took another unexpected turn. If truth be told, the SS throw from deep in the hole is one of the most difficult of all infield positions.
    But, 3B does require a strong arm, AGAIN that is NOT the issue under discussion. You relocated it there to justify, heretofore still unknown reasoning.
    SS should have the best range, best glove and best arm in the IF.
    3rd base is the hot corner but only very subpar range will affect defense. Piss poor reactions sure will but DJ doesn't have piss poor reactions at 32, nor will he at 35. His range will slow but he will still be able to pick it because his reactions will be fine. With less range, he will miss fewer balls at third than at second because of the sheer space.



    Ignorance is bliss

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Day, the key phrase is "start to lose a step when they got to their mid 30s. DJ isn't there yet. Do I except him to decline over the next couple years as a second baseman? Yes. Do I think he will fall off a cliff? No.
    I certainly don't expect him to fall of a cliff defensively @ 2nd either. I do think there has been a little regression in his range since he was in his mid-late 20's. It's not a knock on DJ, father time is undefeated.

    I don't think anyone, atleast with any sense, expects DJ to stay at 2nd for the rest of his career.. At some point, especially with all the middle INF talent that we have coming, they'll move him.

    I'm still trying to figure out how loosing a step or 2 in his range at 2nd means that he can't still be a very good defender at 1st or 3rd ?

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,003
    Kluber has looked much better pitching to Higgy than he did to Sanchez. There could be alot of other factors that could contribute to that, like Kluber being a very slow starter but it has been better IMO

    I'm still surprised that multiple analysts think Higgy has a legit chance to make the AS as a reserve. Higgy making the AS team would be incredible but think how weak the C in the AL have been for Higgy to be in serious consideration.

    Shockingly, if you look at all the C numbers in the AL, Gary's numbers aren't as bad compared to everyone else like i would have thought

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,003
    Higgy!!!!! way to come right back out and pick up your pitcher.... Higgy sending a loud message back to Gary that he plans on keeping the starting job

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,820
    scherzer pitching like it's 2019 again 10 'k 4 innings

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,003
    If were still in contention around the deadline, i sure hope Hal and Cash figure out how to make the money work so we could get Max.

    a 1-2 Cole and Max would be the best 1-2 in baseball

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,475
    Woof, Judge 1-22 with 14ks ...

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,475
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    If were still in contention around the deadline, i sure hope Hal and Cash figure out how to make the money work so we could get Max.

    a 1-2 Cole and Max would be the best 1-2 in baseball
    Can he get the big hit when it counts? Cuz it sure does look like the line-up is this issue, again.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,003
    Schmidt, Volpe plus a lottery ticket for Max and the pick up 10m of the remaining 27m left on his deal, who says no? no subs

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,475
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Schmidt, Volpe plus a lottery ticket for Max and the pick up 10m of the remaining 27m left on his deal, who says no? no subs
    You really think it's SP that's the problem?

    I think the Yanks say no to that, dont see Cash giving up Schmidt, Deivi? Perhaps but as is, with Sevy coning back, I dont see Max coming to NY. There's a lot of games between now and the trade deadline but as is, I still feel this lineup will never get it done, Max or no Max.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •