Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a7620941.html

This article seems fitting.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Crap, the only problem is whether they can actually read the article and if they have the ability to comprehend what they read.
    More likely, they will think it is about someone else.
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 05-08-2021 at 07:24 AM.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    he doesn't have the range at 2nd base at 32 that he did when he was 26-29. Its hardly a surprise a guy with such a big body has lost a step or 2 as he's aged past 30.

1st and 3rd don't require the range that 2nd base does, so that wouldn't effect his ability to be a very good fielder at those other 2 positions. If you look at the stats this yr he's actually playing his best defense at 1st base and he is hitting by far the best when he's playing 3rd. His OAA actually rank him higher this yr at 1st and 3rd vs 2nd

Its truly baffling trying to understand some of the concepts about baseball and what happens with players yr to yr that you seem to believe as facts
    But it still makes no sense to say he lost a step or two at second while saying he is better defensively at third or first when he hasnít played there much . I mean if at his age he has lost a step or two like you said , wouldnít it be reasonable to assume his defense has suffered a bit at first and third ?

On to a point of concern that I expressed going into this season after spring training . That the bullpen would be used too much too soon ...

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...uim-story.html

Guess my concern wasnít totally unfounded huh ?

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    It happens even to the best relievers some nights, what separates the good one from the great ones is stretching the time out between the bad outtings as long as possible.

Green just wasn't sharp last night and he didn't have his best stuff/command

Loaisiga really got hurt by the defense with those 2 errors, after that he looked like he was rattled. As good as he's looked tonight was only his 40th career relief appearance and 50th appearance overall. He's still young and new to being a reliever, especially high leverage situations, he's going to have these occasional bad outings as he continues to develop and refine his role

I can definitely see why they traded for Peralta with the way they are having to use their BP. He's got really good stuff and looks like he can handle multiple roles and innings. The one guarantee every yr is the later in the yr you get the more expensive pitching becomes. Maybe they thought they could get a better reliever now, cheaper than around the deadline? I still would have liked to have seen a better return for Tauchman, hopefully Wandy proves me wrong.

Overall, even after a couple rough outings, i'm not concerned about the BP. The only slight concern is they maybe using their better relievers a little to much and they could possibly be worn down by the playoffs. That said we have Brit coming back in a month or so and we have a stable of arms in the MILB that should be able to contribute heavily later in the yr.

I agree. But it sucks the bullpen blew 2 straight games and with Boone pulling Cole out too early on Thursday started the nonsense.

At worst you start Cole for the 8th and probably let him finish the 8th. But treating him like he is a 25 yr old pitcher with a pitch count at 97 was so dumb. Some will say you donít use all of your bullets in May games. And I get that but they were on a 5 game winning streak they had the lead going into the 8th and their ACE had just 97 pitches. The bridge to Chap was Cole and about 8-17 pitches. Now they are back on a losing streak. Boone just ruins chances to get the team going with his boneheaded decisions.
    Soundgarden
    1. Fell on Black Days( Cornell with vocal perfection)
    2. Outshined
    3. Spoonman
    4. Black Hole Sun
    5. Loud Love
    6. Ugly Truth

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    I agree. But it sucks the bullpen blew 2 straight games and with Boone pulling Cole out too early on Thursday started the nonsense.

At worst you start Cole for the 8th and probably let him finish the 8th. But treating him like he is a 25 yr old pitcher with a pitch count at 97 was so dumb. Some will say you donít use all of your bullets in May games. And I get that but they were on a 5 game winning streak they had the lead going into the 8th and their ACE had just 97 pitches. The bridge to Chap was Cole and about 8-17 pitches. Now they are back on a losing streak. Boone just ruins chances to get the team going with his boneheaded decisions.
    I canít totally agree that it was a mistake to have the pen start the 8th inning . But I will say that Boone was a damned moron for leaving green in for as long as he did . He had no business facing altuve in that situation .

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    But it still makes no sense to say he lost a step or two at second while saying he is better defensively at third or first when he hasnít played there much . I mean if at his age he has lost a step or two like you said , wouldnít it be reasonable to assume his defense has suffered a bit at first and third ?
    It's be explained more than once....but I'll give it a go. The demand at 2B are greater than 1B or 3B. Range is an issue more so at 2B. DJ is an excellent glove at multiple positions. The step or two he MAY have lost is more critical to play at 2B than 1 or 3B. Got it?

Personally I prefer DJ at 2B, even with his loss in range. But he is getting older, he's a big guy, and time takes it's toll.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    It's be explained more than once....but I'll give it a go. The demand at 2B are greater than 1B or 3B. Range is an issue more so at 2B. DJ is an excellent glove at multiple positions. The step or two he MAY have lost is more critical to play at 2B than 1 or 3B. Got it?

Personally I prefer DJ at 2B, even with his loss in range. But he is getting older, he's a big guy, and time takes it's toll.
    And yet a article I just found actually say the exact opposite , third base is harder to play than second base....

https://www.neurotrackerx.com/post/t...on-in-baseball

And here is one that say reflexes must be sharper at third than at second base . And we know reflex speed declines with age ,

https://www.justbats.com/blog/post/t...n-in-baseball/

So Doc, are you saying that the range demand and expectation is slightly less at 1rst and 3rd than it is at 2nd or SS and because of the lesser range requirements, a player who has lost a step or half step could be of a higher value moving to one of those other positions? What?

Are you suggesting a guy who is a gold glove caliber defender at multiple positions could be better suited to positions that require less range as they age? What?

Are you suggesting that you should also consider living with that perceived, lost half step or step at his current position because it creates the best possible IF scenario? What?

I don't think I understand. So that means you are wrong.

Ignorance is bliss

On to a point of concern that I expressed going into this season after spring training . That the bullpen would be used too much too soon ...

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...uim-story.html

Guess my concern wasnít totally unfounded huh ?
    Wow!!! I guess you were the only one who thought that! How amazingly perceptive of you! No one else has ever mentioned this.
    I mean it's only been mentioned countless times for the lat 2-3 seasons and even back to Girardi!

Aside from everyone else in the forum discussing the over use of the pen, constantly from 2018 till now, you are the only one who thought that and you feel the need to pat yourself on the back for stating what everyone else, already has.

Ignorance is bliss

And yet a article I just found actually say the exact opposite , third base is harder to play than second base....

https://www.neurotrackerx.com/post/t...on-in-baseball

And here is one that say reflexes must be sharper at third than at second base . And we know reflex speed declines with age ,

https://www.justbats.com/blog/post/t...n-in-baseball/
    You literally, just moved the goalposts, yet again. The discussion was range. You ran away from that.
    No one mentioned DJ's reaction time b cease no one believes that to have slowed. It's his feet. You know were those are? The opposite end of you body, the polar opposite of your head where your reactions are rooted but in some people's cases when there head is in their arse, it's understandable how they may confuse the concept of range and reaction time, especially when they are desperate to prove a point they have already flubbed.

It's also ironic that you cited blogs. one of which was actually a question in the title, suggesting that it may or may not be accurate. The second one discussed the need for more range at 2nd and SS which was the original argument.
    So your own proof, proved you wrong.

Again

Ignorance is bliss

Jorge, as clown has already made clear, there is a distinction between range and reaction time. Yes the ball gets to you more quickly at 1B and 3B. It's this old time / distance thing. In the simplest terms I can muster, 2B is further from the plate than 1B or 3B.

Jorge, as clown has already made clear, there is a distinction between range and reaction time. Yes the ball gets to you more quickly at 1B and 3B. It's this old time / distance thing. In the simplest terms I can muster, 2B is further from the plate than 1B or 3B.
    But the distance from third to first is farther than from second . As the articles clearly say , a good third baseman needs To have quicker reflexes and a strong arm . And we know both of those go as a player ages .

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    this team is garbage

We could say that about your posts. I hear the first place Red Sox are looking for posters. Maybe you could hook up there.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Hence, the ball has a wider range for which to pass through the IF, hence greater range needed to cover the extra ground.

Doc, has anyone at all commented on DJ's reaction times? I doubt it. Have they slowed to the point he would ineffective at 3rd? No.
    Why? Because it is wildly believed that at the age of 24, we peak for our reactions. The majority of studies done are in 10 year increments. 25-35 is the next age range. DJ is going to be 33 so he would be considered within that group meaning any decrease would be minimal.

Now, with that stated, there is also belief that the process of reactions slowing can be slowed itself and for some, even reversed. The argument for him not being capable of playing third be use his reactions have slowed, doesn't seem to hold water.

As you are, I am sure aware, there is tons of info and research to support my comment.
    But then again, the original argument had nothing to do with this. It had to do with range.

So as they say in France, Mouvement de le Goal Posts

Ignorance is bliss

But the distance from third to first is farther than from second . As the articles clearly say , a good third baseman needs To have quicker reflexes and a strong arm . And we know both of those go as a player ages .
    Goal posts moved.
    Quick!!! Go hide behind them

Ignorance is bliss

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast