Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Nationals @ Yankees May7- 9

The Washington Nationals and the New York Yankees meet Friday in MLB action from Yankee Stadium.

Washington is coming off a series versus the Braves. The Nationals lost the first two games of that set, then in the Thursday finale Washington dropped a tough one by one run. As for the Yankees, they played the Astros this week. New York won the first pair, then on Thursday the Yankees fell by three runs.

Washington couldn’t get much going versus the Braves early this week, losing Tuesday 6-1 and Wednesday 5-3. In the Thursday finale, it was another difficult loss for the Nationals as they fell 3-2. Starter Jon Lester went 5.0 innings with four hits and three earned in that one.

For the starting role Friday, the Nationals are going with Patrick Corbin. In five outings so far this year, Corbin has 23.1 innings with 17 hits, 22 runs (21 earned), seven homers allowed, 14 walks, 18 strikeouts and an 8.10 ERA.

Over on the Yankees’ side, they had a positive series against the rival Astros this week, winning 7-3 Tuesday and 6-3 Wednesday. On Thursday, New York coughed up six runs in the final three frames and couldn’t complete the sweep with a 7-4 defeat. Starter Gerrit Cole went 7.0 innings with five hits and two earned.

For the Friday series opener, the Yankees are sending Jameson Taillon to the mound. Over five outings and 22.1 innings of work so far, Taillon has 23 hits, 13 earned runs, five homers allowed, five walks, 29 strikeouts and a 5.24 ERA.

The Nationals are 13-5 in their last 18 interleague road games and 1-5 in their last six in game one of a series. Washington is 9-19 in their last 28 road games and 16-5 in their last 21 interleague games versus a team with a winning record.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are 4-1 in their last five in game one of a series and 4-1 in their last five versus a lefty starter. New York is 79-31 in their last 110 games as a home favorite and 86-37 in their last 123 home games.

Fri, May 7 • 7:05 PM

Patrick Corbin
    LHP
    1-3, 8.10 ERA, 18 SO
    Corbin has made two starts against the Yankees over his career, in which he has compiled a 1.35 ERA without a decision. The lefty has recorded 15 strikeouts over 13 1/3 frames vs. the Interleague opponent.

Jameson Taillon
    RHP
    1-2, 5.24 ERA, 29 SO
    Taillon picked up his first victory in exactly two years in his last start, striking out eight over five innings of one-run ball against the Tigers. Taillon has struck out five or more batters in four of his five starts this season.

Sat, May 8 • 1:05 PM EDT

Max Scherzer
    RHP
    2-2, 2.54 ERA, 47 SO
    Scherzer is riding the momentum of pitching a one-run complete game on Sunday vs. the Marlins, just hours before the birth of his third child. He is 4-4 with a 4.34 ERA over eight career starts against the Yankees.

Corey Kluber
    RHP
    2-2, 3.03 ERA, 29 SO
    Kluber is coming off AL Player of the Week honors after going 2-0 with a 0.61 ERA in two starts against the Orioles and Tigers. Kluber generated a career-high 13 swings and misses on his changeup against Detroit on Sunday.

Sun, May 9 • 1:05 PM EDT

Joe Ross
    RHP
    2-2, 4.39 ERA, 21 SO
    Ross will make his first appearance against the Yankees. He is 3-2 with a 4.79 ERA over 35 2/3 innings of Interleague action for his career.

Domingo German
    RHP
    2-2, 4.32 ERA, 25 SO
    Germán lasted five innings against the Astros in his most recent start, permitting three runs -- including homers to Alex Bregman and Michael Brantley. Germán brought a 12-inning scoreless streak into that outing.

Unless the nats have a good offense , the Yankees should take 2 of 3 .

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Unless the nats have a good offense , the Yankees should take 2 of 3 .
    yanks are 16-15 in 31 games yanks were predicted to win 95 games this year they at the current pace will fall way short

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    yanks are 16-15 in 31 games yanks were predicted to win 95 games this year they at the current pace will fall way short
    Well considering the BEST record in the AL is 19-13 I guess the same can be said for most of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    It’s only one month into the season . I am sure he yankees will get on a roll eventually . Unless more injuries happen

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Well considering the BEST record in the AL is 19-13 I guess the same can be said for most of the league.
    Not really considering that the team with that current record is a team that most people picked to finish near the bottom of their division.
    Last edited by Posada20; 05-06-2021 at 08:33 PM.

As mentioned it's still early. Not how you start but rather how you finish. I guess we'll wait and see where exactly that front runner finishes.

My point, increased parity in the game has many teams closely bunched, 95 wins may be difficult for many.

Remember when everyone argued for signing Corbin?

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Remember when everyone argued for signing Corbin?
    I will admit I was one of those people. Still he would have been better than signing CC and JA Happ in my opinion. I am glad they didn't sign him now, although you never know how things would be different if he signed here.

Miggys stats through 3 games
    2021 Stats 13ABS 5RS 6H 3HRS 5RBI .462 /.467/1.621 and 4-5, 4 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB what he did last night while splitting time at 1st/3rd
    He certainly appears to be healthy and if you've seen any of his clips so far you can see the bat speed and the confidence is back and thats when he's at his best.

Gardy is hitting .200, Clint is only hitting .151 and certainly hasn't seized control of the LF job like we expected, why not give Andujar a look? If nothing else, if he can come up and hit anywhere close to what he is capable of and can be atleast league avg defensively somewhere, he'd be a very valuable player either for us or as a trade chip. I know it feels like Miggy has been around forever but he's still only 26, so he still has lots of time to figure out a defensive position

Andujar and Voit could be the exact types of bats we need to jump start that offense, both are aggressive at the plate, hit for a descent avg and they both make alot of contact. Really other than Stanton and Gio no one has exactly been consistently hitting. IMO getting those 2 in the lineup would be a nice little shakeup

IMO, with as poorly as some guys are hitting and with Andujar healthy and hitting , he's tood good to be sitting in AAA when he could absolutely impact the MLB roster
    Id love to see our lineup be
    1 DJ 2nd
    2 Stanton DH
    3 Judge RF
    4 Voit 1st
    5 Gio 3rd
    6 Torres SS
    7 Andujar LF
    8 Higgy/ Sanchez C
    9 Hicks/ Gardy CG

Lets hope Gio's result come back negative and he won't need an IL stint, it would really suck to lose him for any length of time.
    Last edited by dayners81; 05-07-2021 at 04:12 AM.

Why not give andujar a try in left field ? Because he isn’t proven there yet and because it would not make any sense to take the starting job away from Frazier just because of one bad month . Now if you advocated trying andujar as the 4th or 5th outfielder that might make some sense .

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Miggys stats through 3 games
    2021 Stats 13ABS 5RS 6H 3HRS 5RBI .462 /.467/1.621 and 4-5, 4 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB what he did last night while splitting time at 1st/3rd
    He certainly appears to be healthy and if you've seen any of his clips so far you can see the bat speed and the confidence is back and thats when he's at his best.

Gardy is hitting .200, Clint is only hitting .151 and certainly hasn't seized control of the LF job like we expected, why not give Andujar a look? If nothing else, if he can come up and hit anywhere close to what he is capable of and can be atleast league avg defensively somewhere, he'd be a very valuable player either for us or as a trade chip. I know it feels like Miggy has been around forever but he's still only 26, so he still has lots of time to figure out a defensive position

Andujar and Voit could be the exact types of bats we need to jump start that offense, both are aggressive at the plate, hit for a descent avg and they both make alot of contact. Really other than Stanton and Gio no one has exactly been consistently hitting. IMO getting those 2 in the lineup would be a nice little shakeup

IMO, with as poorly as some guys are hitting and with Andujar healthy and hitting , he's tood good to be sitting in AAA when he could absolutely impact the MLB roster
    Id love to see our lineup be
    1 DJ 2nd
    2 Stanton DH
    3 Judge RF
    4 Voit 1st
    5 Gio 3rd
    6 Torres SS
    7 Andujar LF
    8 Higgy/ Sanchez C
    9 Hicks/ Gardy CG

Lets hope Gio's result come back negative and he won't need an IL stint, it would really suck to lose him for any length of time.
    If Miggy is healthy, I am putting him at 3rd. I will deal with the defense. If they are saying Gio's knee is "stable" but needs an MRI, that might be a positive in that they don't think its a tear of a tendon or ligament but I will guess he misses at least a couple weeks.
    Get Miggy in the lineup. He will not be a good 3rd baseman but if he can even be almost adequate, it's fine.

Ignorance is bliss

I rather would have andujar at third than in lf if urshela is out

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    If Miggy is healthy, I am putting him at 3rd. I will deal with the defense. If they are saying Gio's knee is "stable" but needs an MRI, that might be a positive in that they don't think its a tear of a tendon or ligament but I will guess he misses at least a couple weeks.
    Get Miggy in the lineup. He will not be a good 3rd baseman but if he can even be almost adequate, it's fine.
    Clown I agree getting his bat in the line up is a plus. I would feel much better with DJ at 3B. Voit is almost ready.

I said it years ago, imo Andujars best position is DH. Yanks currently have one of the best mashing at the position. Package Andujar at the deadline for an arm.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Clown I agree getting his bat in the line up is a plus. I would feel much better with DJ at 3B. Voit is almost ready.

I said it years ago, imo Andujars best position is DH. Yanks currently have one of the best mashing at the position. Package Andujar at the deadline for an arm.
    I totally spaced on Voit. I think Voit is the actual leader of this team. I can't wait to see him back.
    I don't know, I'd still give him some burn at 3rd.

Ignorance is bliss

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast