Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is Spicey P's best position, and who is the ideal pairing?

To me, Spicey P is the closest thing to TMac that the NBA has seen in a while. A 6'9 athlete who can handle it like a guard, make plays for others and is almost unstoppable when he goes to the hole.

I think he is a guard in todays NBA, and will pair best with another dominant big. Right now they have him paired with 2 PG's and OG. ..

Do you think he is a PF that should be paired with guards to make plays for him, or a guard who can play with the ball in his hands and make plays for a big?

I dont think this team takes the next step until they replace Gasol in the middle....with someone who can score as well as defend at an elite level.

Thoughts?

Honestly what I would do if I'm y'all

PG- VanVleet
    SG- Trent
    SF- Siakam
    PF- Anunoby
    C- Boucher

Switch positions with OG playing the 4 and have Siakam at the 3 playing small forward...I mean it works for the Bucks because Budenholzer uses Giannis at the 3 (SF) when he is more of a 4

OG for me would be better used as a 4 anyway

Boucher at the 5

His position doesnt really matter. He just needs to be used in a jack of all trades position. You tends to lose value on him theblonger he holds the ball.

Yeah I could keep him at the 3 starting next season period

Siakam and OG are interchangeable at the forward positions. Tracy McGrady would not be a SG in today's NBA. Forward's can still make plays for bigs. We just don't have any good bigs. Birch has been nice, but a little late.

Ok, the difference his position makes is simply the players that you play around him. If he is a SG, then you can play OG and 2 more bigs to lock down the paint on defense. If he is a PF, then you are playing OG and 1 more big.
    If he plays SG, they can play Lowry, Siakam, OG, Boucher, Birch...for example. Heck, with Watanabe they could even try Siakam, Watanabe, OG, Boucher and Birch....... I actually would love to see this used some the last few games for the the fun of it....

Right now they play really, really small. I think they could flip that and have a team of 6'7-6'9 guys who just switch everything, clog all the passing lanes and block a bunch of shots.... and I think the key to that is Siakam's ability to handle the rock and play like a guard. You can't have tiny guys try to guard KD in the playoffs. He just shoots over them and kills you. Now he plays on a team with a bunch of shooters, so you can't double him without Irving, Harden or Harris killing you... If they want to beat a loaded Brooklyn team, I think they need to flip it up and try to create the best defensive lineup/style this league has ever seen.

Defensively I would prefer he matches up with forwards. Obviously he can switch on anybody, but I want him to start with a more traditional matchup.

But as others have noted - itís a position less game. I think he is a wing, and he needs a point and a true big on the floor for his best fit.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Ok, the difference his position makes is simply the players that you play around him. If he is a SG, then you can play OG and 2 more bigs to lock down the paint on defense. If he is a PF, then you are playing OG and 1 more big.
    If he plays SG, they can play Lowry, Siakam, OG, Boucher, Birch...for example. Heck, with Watanabe they could even try Siakam, Watanabe, OG, Boucher and Birch....... I actually would love to see this used some the last few games for the the fun of it....

Right now they play really, really small. I think they could flip that and have a team of 6'7-6'9 guys who just switch everything, clog all the passing lanes and block a bunch of shots.... and I think the key to that is Siakam's ability to handle the rock and play like a guard. You can't have tiny guys try to guard KD in the playoffs. He just shoots over them and kills you. Now he plays on a team with a bunch of shooters, so you can't double him without Irving, Harden or Harris killing you... If they want to beat a loaded Brooklyn team, I think they need to flip it up and try to create the best defensive lineup/style this league has ever seen.
    No doubt about the small play. That is partly a roster construction issue.

I do think Siakam needs capable ball handlers and shooters around him. That usually comes from smaller players, but it doesn't necessarily have to.

I just looked up some of our best, often used, positive net differential lineups from this year:

FVV/Powell/Anunoby/Siakam/Boucher
    Lowry/FVV/Powell/Anunoby/Boucher
    Lowry/FVV/Anunoby/Siakam/Birch

Sample sizes for any lineups are tiny though. Nurse has been forced to use so many different units over the year.

You can't match him with guards because he can't beat guards off the dribble. He's only a mismatch against 4s and 5s. He's not Tmac, stop. He is closer to Antawn Jamison than he is to hybrid guard/forwards like KD or Tmac.
    Last edited by ecart; 05-06-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    You can't match him with guards because he can't beat guards off the dribble. He's only a mismatch against 4s and 5s. He's not Tmac, stop. He is closer to Antawn Jamison than he is to hybrid guard/forwards like KD or Tmac.
    He isn't quite TMac level (yet) offensively no, but that is the type of player he seems to be developing into. I mean, 3 years ago he could barely take 2 dribbles, then he won MIP and now he is a completely different player bringing the ball up the floor and the #1 option. The guy gre up playing soccer and didn't even start playing until high school. He is a 6'9, 230 lb ball handler that can take it to the hole, pull up from mid range and shoot the 3. ...and he is already a better defender than TMac ever was. TMAc was 6'8, 210 lbs, shot FT's under 80% (all but 1 season) and wasn't a very good 3pt shooter (for the majority of his career). He was a big athletic guard who excelled at initiating offense and taking it to the basket. He was too big for traditional 1's and 2's, and too quick and shifty for 3's and 4's who could contest his shot.

I don't think Pascal is there yet, but I think that is the mold he could be filling out.

they don't even play the same way lol. siakam has probably taken more push shots in a game than Tmac has in his entire career.

they don't even play the same way lol. siakam has probably taken more push shots in a game than Tmac has in his entire career.
    So because they finish differently in the paint they cant be the same type of player? No one called him a clone, just the type of superstar player that Siakam can try to turn into. He isnt going to be like MJ with an unstoppable jumper. He isn't going to be like Tim Duncan or KG. He isn't the next Magic or LBJ.

What he could become is the next iteration of the TMac /Penny Hardaway(pre injury) type. A player with wing size who can handle the rock, make plays for others and does most of his scoring in the paint instead of from the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    So because they finish differently in the paint they cant be the same type of player? No one called him a clone, just the type of superstar player that Siakam can try to turn into. He isnt going to be like MJ with an unstoppable jumper. He isn't going to be like Tim Duncan or KG. He isn't the next Magic or LBJ.

What he could become is the next iteration of the TMac /Penny Hardaway(pre injury) type. A player with wing size who can handle the rock, make plays for others and does most of his scoring in the paint instead of from the perimeter.
    What are you on about? Siakam doesn't play like any of those guys. It's a terrible comparison and it is not at all where his development is headed. How do you look at Siakam play and get Tmac or Penny?

Tmac's ball handling is on another level. He was the first crop of wings who had guard skills. His playmaking is also way different than Siakam's. Siakam is capable of making simple reads but he's not "making plays for others". Scoring in the paint? Are you serious? Tmac epitomized 2000's basketball. When did he play in the paint? He operated in the triple threat 18 feet out and shot contested jumpers all day.

The next iteration of the "TMac type" is already here. They are guard forward hybrids like Durant, PG, Tatum etc. Siakam is just a modern 4 that has no historic analogue.

What are you on about? Siakam doesn't play like any of those guys. It's a terrible comparison and it is not at all where his development is headed. How do you look at Siakam play and get Tmac or Penny?

Tmac's ball handling is on another level. He was the first crop of wings who had guard skills. His playmaking is also way different than Siakam's. Siakam is capable of making simple reads but he's not "making plays for others". Scoring in the paint? Are you serious? Tmac epitomized 2000's basketball. When did he play in the paint? He operated in the triple threat 18 feet out and shot contested jumpers all day.

The next iteration of the "TMac type" is already here. They are guard forward hybrids like Durant, PG, Tatum etc. Siakam is just a modern 4 that has no historic analogue.
    Yeah, as TMac got older he definitely fell in love with jumpers from 16+ feet. I think that is just part of the evolution of the NBA though. Instead of taking a bunch of 16-20ft jumpers when he became the #1 option, Siakam gets inside 10 ft when he isn't taking a 3.

Like I said, not a clone. Just the kind of mold that Siakam could try and fill out as he continues to develop his offensive game.

It's not about him being a clone. He's just not in that mould period. He's a modern 4 like Randle, Sabonis, Green etc. He's not a guard-forward hybrid. His handles are slightly above average for a big, but they're trash compared to any modern wing. He's explosive enough to beat traditional bigs and some of the slower modern 4s, but he's not beating any modern wing (i.e Jaylen Brown) or the up and coming batch of modern bigs (i.e Issac).

Siakam is part of the new NBA where bigs are expected to do more and be more well-rounded but his guard skills and athleticism aren't good enough where you can reasonably play him out of position like a Tatum or a Giannis.
    Last edited by ecart; 05-08-2021 at 09:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast