Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 118 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2473
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78 View Post
    But can he block the ball

Gary has a cannon and actually has a good pop time but that man cannot block a ball. I find it odd and interesting that he is really good at one aspect of his position and really not good at the other.
    IN Gary's case, IMO the reason he has gotten so bad at blocking is they made him learn 3 different catching styles in 4yrs. Hard to be MLB good behind the plate when your team is constantly changing the way they want u to do the job, IMO

Gomez on the other hand is incredible in every aspect defensively, blocking, receiving, game calling, his ability to work with pitchers, defensively this kid is about as good as it gets. Pop times in the 1.7 range like he has is the best in BB and they posted a video of them clocking his throws and they were measured over 100MPH. Gomez has every single aspect you want in a catcher including the great internal clock, ability to slow the game down, his attributes go on and on.

Most scouts believe he has an offensive profile similar to Pereira and could have a very similar type breakout season offensively next yr.

The only issue with Gomez is he has had a bunch of random injuries, nothing chronic if memory serves, that have slowed his development. If he can stay healthy this yr, i wouldn't be shocked if he became a household name like Volpe and Peraza have become. He could be a top 20 overall spec by the end of next yr if mostly everything goes correctly. He's got plus power, great hands, impact the ball hard and drives it.

I posted a couple video's of him swinging, a while ago and he has a very old school swing. Klown mentioned it looks like the chopping wood swing they taught for some many yrs, there isn't a ton of swing and miss in his offensive profile. If he stays healthy, he'll be 1 of the top 2 way Catchers in BB

https://www.yesnetwork.com/yankees/n...on-comparisons

Unfair to compare any 17 year old to Randy Johnson. Still, another nice lottery ticket in the system.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post

Unfair to compare any 17 year old to Randy Johnson. Still, another nice lottery ticket in the system.
    At 17, he got 20+ pounds on Randy, soaking wet. Randy was a beanpole. That kid looks like he's going to fill out and end up in the 230+ range.
    I love reading how smart of a pitcher he is. I always love that.

Thanks for posting

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post

Almost as unfair comping Dom to Mantle and Trout?? It's a heck of a lottery ticket to have coming in the system. The more LH pitching specs with a high ceiling we can get, the better our future looks. From the small amount i saw of this kid, he's got good stuff. I kinda see more of a young Price than a young Randy IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Almost as unfair comping Dom to Mantle and Trout?? It's a heck of a lottery ticket to have coming in the system. The more LH pitching specs with a high ceiling we can get, the better our future looks. From the small amount i saw of this kid, he's got good stuff. I kinda see more of a young Price than a young Randy IMO
    Plus, I believe I read his fastball is 91. Even if he picks up a couple MPH, that's nowhere near Randy territory.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Plus, I believe I read his fastball is 91. Even if he picks up a couple MPH, that's nowhere near Randy territory.
    With his body build, long levers, not having been stateside to consistently work at the " Gas Station" , only being 17 and no where near being filled out, i wouldn't be surprised if he was in the high 90's by the time he's 21-22. Waldichuk is a pretty good example, he was in the high 80's when they drafted him and now he's sitting 94-97 and has touched 99 after just 2 seasons.

With his body build, long levers, not having been stateside to consistently work at the " Gas Station" , only being 17 and no where near being filled out, i wouldn't be surprised if he was in the high 90's by the time he's 21-22. Waldichuk is a pretty good example, he was in the high 80's when they drafted him and now he's sitting 94-97 and has touched 99 after just 2 seasons.
    I hope you're right. It would be tremendous to get an up and coming Johnson (don't get too excited, Clown - Ha Ha).

For the life of me, I still don't know why parents would name a kid Randy Johnson or Woody Johnson. Even if the given name is Randle or Woodrow, you have to know what the nickname version will be
    I would guess they either have a wonderfully twisted sense of humor or are incredibly short sighted

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I hope you're right. It would be tremendous to get an up and coming Johnson (don't get too excited, Clown - Ha Ha).

Very well played

Ignorance is bliss

Triple-A will have a nice competition for rotation spots.
    1. Clarke Schmidt
    2. Luis Gil
    3. Deivi Garcia
    4. Hayden Wesneski
    5. Ken Waldichuk
    6. Luis Medina
    7. Matt Krook
    8. J.P. Sears

Aside from probably #'s 7 and 8, that's all high ceiling talent. In that group, I see two guys with and ace ceiling, and our guys with a #2 ceiling. If we can get two major league starters and a solid reliever out of the group I'd be ecstatic. I'd even be happy with one mid rotation or better starter and 2 solid relievers.

Definitely a talented group though.

Throw in talented relievers Stephen Ridings, Ron Marinaccio, Greg Weissert, Jimmy Cordero, Sean Boyle, Nick Ernst, and Sean Semple... and this is going to be a fun team to follow pitching wise. That's a lot of options for the major league team, two of whom have already had major league success.

Unless they make a big move, I'm not all that excited for the major league team this year, but I am definitely excited for the future with the talent they have in the upper minors.

Where do u think Vasquez and Way start? That AAA rotation is packed

Do u think Garcia is going to bounce back? Does he go with the new motion and delivery or go back to the old one? I'm just not sold he's going to be able to regain that swagger and confidence that was a big reason for his success.

The guys i know that saw him at the end of last yr think he's a complete mess. The velo was in the high 80S and the CB was all but gone

Btw i think u were right about King. He could be a hell of a weapon for us next yr.

Do u think Garcia is going to bounce back? Does he go with the new motion and delivery or go back to the old one? I'm just not sold he's going to be able to regain that swagger and confidence that was a big reason for his success.

The guys i know that saw him at the end of last yr think he's a complete mess. The velo was in the high 80S and the CB was all but gone

Btw i think u were right about King. He could be a hell of a weapon for us next yr.
    Vasquez definitely will start in Double-A and Way in High-A. Both can move up quickly if they get off to a good start. Vasquez might be blocked by the talent ahead of him though.

Deivi was broke last year but I'm sure he could be fixed. Whether that happens or not is anyone's guess. Until we at least see him in Spring Training we will have no idea. We probably won't really know anything until we see him face live competition. Only time will tell but that's why it's so important that they have so many options in Triple-A right now.

I think you'll see Vasquez, Brito, and Mitch Spence start the season in Double-A. Then maybe whoever is the least ready for Triple-A out of Medina, Waldichuk, Wesneski, and Sears will fill out the top of that rotation. My money is on Medina and Waldichuk to start and will move up as soon as a spot opens up in Triple-A. That's a solid Double-A rotation, though Spence and Brito aren't the sexiest arms in the system.

If Vasquez has a big year he could become a household name in 2022. Hopefully he came to camp with some improvement.

High-A rotation possibilities

This is where it gets interesting, because depending on who comes to camp looking good they could go in any number of directions. Below is how I see the most likely to least likely to have a rotation spot in High-A to start 2022.

1. Beck Way
    2. Clay Aguilar
    3. Matt Sauer
    4. Yoendrys Gomez
    5. Brendan Beck
    6. Edgar Barclay
    7. Jarod Lessar
    8. Reid Anderson
    9. Jack Neely
    10. Blane Abeyta
    11. Blas Castano

Low-A rotation options
    Obviously anyone from the high-a list above could end up here. Aside from those, here are some others.

1. Brock Selvidge
    2. Tyrone Yulie
    3. Alfred Vega
    4. Juan Carela
    5. Nicio Rodriguez
    6. Ryan Anderson
    7. Ocean Gabonia
    8. Jose Panacual
    9. Yon Castro
    10. Yarison Ruiz
    11. Denny Larrondo
    12. Richard Fitts
    13. Richard Ahlstrom
    14. Will Warren
    15. Chandler Champlain
    16. Bailey Dees

Lots of options here. All have ingredients but who puts it together enough to be considered for a starting role at Low-A.