Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 116 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2506
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    How did i get that confused with Mayea being a switch hitter?? U really think he is better than Pereira? ahead of Arias is quite a complement. I'd love to hear your scouting report on him, there just isn't a ton of info out there about him. I've heard very little about the bat other than he is very advanced for his age. Defensively is where i've heard he shines, plus, plus arm, 70 grade speed and an advanced route runner and no doubt that he'll stick in CF. Do you think, if there is no draft, that he gets a bigger bonus than Arias .

I know you have close access to Arias. Is he really as advanced as i've been hearing? that he's already more into refining his toolset rather than discovering it and it wouldn't be a shock if he flew threw the system like Franco did? I just keep hearing that everyone that has seen him is beyond impressed with him and that he is determined to be a generational SS.

I keep hearing that while Dom's tools might be louder, he is much more raw at the same age as Arias.

If we get Mayea and he and Dom both develop as hoped, who ends up in CF?
    Mayea beats out Dominguez in center he’s more fluid. To me arias and mayea are very close both elite hit tools with great defense. Mayea is the better runner probably 65 grade to arias 55-60.
    Mayea has sneaky pop but it’s loud like altuve you wouldn’t expect it but don’t be surprised if he puts up 30 homers. His arm is a 60 grade so not as good as arias 70 arm. It’s hard to choose cause they are both insane!

With arias there’s really no holes and it’s loud. He’s honestly the highest ceiling SS in the minors if it all clicks. The Yankees truly have a 3 headed international position prospect pool between the three.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    KB and Day, Thanks for this info. Are the Yankees the inside track to sign Mayea?

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    KB and Day, Thanks for this info. Are the Yankees the inside track to sign Mayea?
    Yes they have a deal in place for just under 5M according to fangraphs. I've been doing a little research on him and he is as impressive as KB, not that i was doubting him whatsoever, has said. He's a little on the smaller side but his tools are incredible. Kinda reminds me of a Peraza but a CFer. Speed, strong arm, great swing with surprising power

This video is a couple yrs old but it gives u an idea of his swing, it's says he's a SS but is definitely a CFer. https://youtu.be/CpanU6N59Ts

https://www.facebook.com/DM-Sports-b...6734100041135/

Yankees prospect Randy Vazquez was put on the Baseball Prospectus top 100 list at 90.

Against Dunedin on August 9th the average RPMs on his pitches were nuts:

Curve: 3102
    Fastball: 2478
    Changeup: 2205
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1484251834952867840

He's got good stuff and performed well last yr but 3rd in the system and ahead of Dom, Gil, Medina I just don't see it.
    Does anyone know much about the kid? I know the FB is above avg - plus and the CB is plus or better but is the CU a good enough pitch to let him stay a starter?

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Yes they have a deal in place for just under 5M according to fangraphs. I've been doing a little research on him and he is as impressive as KB, not that i was doubting him whatsoever, has said. He's a little on the smaller side but his tools are incredible. Kinda reminds me of a Peraza but a CFer. Speed, strong arm, great swing with surprising power

This video is a couple yrs old but it gives u an idea of his swing, it's says he's a SS but is definitely a CFer. https://youtu.be/CpanU6N59Ts

https://www.facebook.com/DM-Sports-b...6734100041135/
    Love the front leg swing! Also a quiet swing.

Ignorance is bliss

Has anyone been working this winter with Jasson on his sliding? The videos of those two slides last summer wete funny but either could have been disasterous and ruined his speed forever.

Yankees prospect Randy Vazquez was put on the Baseball Prospectus top 100 list at 90.

Against Dunedin on August 9th the average RPMs on his pitches were nuts:

Curve: 3102
    Fastball: 2478
    Changeup: 2205
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1484251834952867840

He's got good stuff and performed well last yr but 3rd in the system and ahead of Dom, Gil, Medina I just don't see it.
    Does anyone know much about the kid? I know the FB is above avg - plus and the CB is plus or better but is the CU a good enough pitch to let him stay a starter?

Lucas
    @DBITLefty
    All 11 of Randy Vasquez's strikeouts yesterday. Since his promotion to Hudson Valley, he has a 2.74 ERA over 23 innings, with 38 strikeouts and only 5 walks.

(Also, he's now struck out 8 in his first game with the team, 9 in his second, 10 in his third, and 11 in his fourth)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1424751425511374861

Fangraphs' report on Mayea:

Mayea derives his power from precise, flush contact. Though somewhat more physically mature than most prospects his age, Mayea isn't especially big and strong, nor projectable. He simply has great feel for contact and swings with rotational verve, and the combination is enough to punish the baseball. Short levers and prodigious bat control help drive impact hit tool projection, while his posture through contact creates natural swing loft that indicates he'll get to whatever power he ends up growing into. Additionally, Mayea looks poised to stay up the middle of the diamond due to his speed, defensive instincts, and medium build. This makes Mayea an exceptional, well-rounded prospect for his age. He's likely to sign for just shy of $5 million in January of 2023.
    Educate me here, you can make an under the table type of deal with these guys even though they're not eligible to sign until next year? And it's common knowledge?
    Obviously that's good for us but I would have to think very soon someone is going to cry foul and try and change these rules? Any chance there is anything like that in the new CBA?

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Educate me here, you can make an under the table type of deal with these guys even though they're not eligible to sign until next year? And it's common knowledge?
    Obviously that's good for us but I would have to think very soon someone is going to cry foul and try and change these rules? Any chance there is anything like that in the new CBA?
    Day, KB or Phoba may have a definitive answer, but, with the academy system in place in the D.R. many of the kids are theoretically, but not contractually committed to the Academy sponsor. You also have the Buscones(sp) skimming and steering kids. Most of the kids in Latin America are discovered through showcases. The trainers pool the players together for the events where the skimming of signing bonuses of players that get contracts has been an all too common practice.

Latin youth benefit from two MLB policies. The first is that only players from the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada are eligible for the annual player draft. So Dominicans, along with other foreign-born prospects, begin their careers as free agents and can sign with the club offering the best deal. Some would argue the primary impetus behind an international draft.

The second policy is that a boy cannot sign professionally until July of the year he turns 17. This means that top prospects can become millionaires as young as 16 but are off-limits when they are younger.

Buscones get 30 percent or more of the signing bonus money. Some are trustworthy advisers. But others will try to boost the appeal of their prospects by giving them peds —often cheap veterinary steroids— or altering their birth documents so they appear younger.

Once they’re signed, the prospects enter the academies run by MLB clubs. There, they’re given some instruction in English and life skills to prepare for the culture shock they confront if promoted to the U.S. Most, however, never leave the island. The downside, the education is marginal at best and they leave the academies ill prepared for life away from BB.

When Covid caused the signing date to be changed from July 2nd to January 14th all the deals teams had in place got pushed back. It's illegal to give kids more than teams report to the MLB, that what got the Braves in trouble, the MLB doesn;t seem to care about handshake deals as long as no money transfers hands until they are officially signed.

As KB noted a couple days ago, he told us about Arias 2yrs ago and Mayea about a yr ago. Most of these top kids have deals in place and are stashed at teams Academies until they officially sign. It can be a very, very dirty business but the MLB doesn't seem to do anything about it. It's been this way for at least the last 10yrs.

It's kind of like NCAA signing day, everyone knows where they top kids are going well before official signing day but aren't apart of the program until they officially sign on that designated day.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Day, KB or Phoba may have a definitive answer, but, with the academy system in place in the D.R. many of the kids are theoretically, but not contractually committed to the Academy sponsor. You also have the Buscones(sp) skimming and steering kids. Most of the kids in Latin America are discovered through showcases. The trainers pool the players together for the events where the skimming of signing bonuses of players that get contracts has been an all too common practice.

Latin youth benefit from two MLB policies. The first is that only players from the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada are eligible for the annual player draft. So Dominicans, along with other foreign-born prospects, begin their careers as free agents and can sign with the club offering the best deal. Some would argue the primary impetus behind an international draft.

The second policy is that a boy cannot sign professionally until July of the year he turns 17. This means that top prospects can become millionaires as young as 16 but are off-limits when they are younger.

Buscones get 30 percent or more of the signing bonus money. Some are trustworthy advisers. But others will try to boost the appeal of their prospects by giving them peds —often cheap veterinary steroids— or altering their birth documents so they appear younger.

Once they’re signed, the prospects enter the academies run by MLB clubs. There, they’re given some instruction in English and life skills to prepare for the culture shock they confront if promoted to the U.S. Most, however, never leave the island. The downside, the education is marginal at best and they leave the academies ill prepared for life away from BB.
    Doc, your on the money. Have you ever seen the Miguel Sano documentary? it's worth a watch to see just how dirty that business can be

When Covid caused the signing date to be changed from July 2nd to January 14th all the deals teams had in place got pushed back. It's illegal to give kids more than teams report to the MLB, that what got the Braves in trouble, the MLB doesn;t seem to care about handshake deals as long as no money transfers hands until they are officially signed.

As KB noted a couple days ago, he told us about Arias 2yrs ago and Mayea about a yr ago. Most of these top kids have deals in place and are stashed at teams Academies until they officially sign. It can be a very, very dirty business but the MLB doesn't seem to do anything about it. It's been this way for at least the last 10yrs.

It's kind of like NCAA signing day, everyone knows where they top kids are going well before official signing day but aren't apart of the program until they officially sign on that designated day.
    However (and again educate me) from what I read in today’s Post they want to change the IFA drafting rules. The way I understand it they want it to be just like any draft ,,worst picks first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However (and again educate me) from what I read in today’s Post they want to change the IFA drafting rules. The way I understand it they want it to be just like any draft ,,worst picks first

their have been certain factions that have wanted to change that system for 20yrs and they don't. Maybe they do this time, but when the most powerful teams Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, Cardinal ect benefit from the current system so much, i'm not sure we see a big change. They would have to change a ton to make it a universal draft. U couldn't have 16yr olds in the draft and make the stateside kids wait till they graduate. The trainers in the DR are incredibly powerful and maybe extremely tough to get them out of that system. I think its going to take much more than a new CBA to make complete changes to that system

Yes. There is tremendous opposition to an international draft from the foreign contingent. The Athletic covers in a lengthy and detailed piece, members of various constituencies — MLB, the MLBPA, player reps, buscones, players and team officials — believe the process for acquiring amateur players from Latin America needs some form of adjustment.

Under the current system, amateur players not subject to the domestic draft (i.e. those outside the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico) are eligible to sign with clubs after they turn 16 years old. While players have to wait until that age to officially sign, however, it is common practice for teams to come to verbal agreements with prospects multiple years in advance as part of a race for talent that The Athletic writes has accelerated since the introduction of hard caps.

The league has pointed to a desire to stamp out such early agreements as justification for its desire for a draft. Those kinds of early deals can leave players out in the cold. Teams can agree to verbal deals with players that, when summed together, exceed the value of their allotted cap. With the rules prohibiting clubs from honoring all their commitments, the team may circle back to second or third tier prospects and require that they lower their bonus demand. The player often has little recourse but to do so. Unlike a domestic high school prospect, international signees don’t typically have a looming college commitment as negotiating leverage. And while they could try to shop their services to other teams, many clubs will already have verbally committed the entirety of their bonus pools to other players in the signing class.

That said, the union doesn’t seem to agree that an international draft is the optimal solution. Implementing a draft inherently removes the player’s flexibility to choose their first employer, an element which the union finds concerning. According to The Athletic, the MLBPA would prefer the league implement and stringently enforce a ban on verbal agreements with players below the age of 15. The union is also pursuing more flexibility for teams to roll over funds from their annual bonus pools, which isn’t permitted under the current system.

In addition to concerns about early agreements, The Athletic article raises myriad other problems with the current setup. Ulises Cabrera, a player representative with Octagon, claims to Torres and Rosenthal that some scouts have taken under-the-table payments from buscones to arrange deals with players from outside their assigned geographical purview. The piece also goes into detail about concerns including lesser pay for international prospects relative to domestic draftees of a similar caliber and eradicating performance-enhancing drug use. MLBTR

https://theathletic.com/3080470/2022...shared_article

their have been certain factions that have wanted to change that system for 20yrs and they don't. Maybe they do this time, but when the most powerful teams Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, Cardinal ect benefit from the current system so much, i'm not sure we see a big change. They would have to change a ton to make it a universal draft. U couldn't have 16yr olds in the draft and make the stateside kids wait till they graduate. The trainers in the DR are incredibly powerful and maybe extremely tough to get them out of that system. I think its going to take much more than a new CBA to make complete changes to that system
    I think this is how teams like the Montreal Canadiens were so successful before a draft was instituted? Didn't they find the kids in Canada before any of the other scouts could get their hands on them?