Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 83 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1423
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    No need to mention: Brien Taylor, Drew Henson, Andrew Brackman, Eric Duncan, Dave Parrish, to name a few high flying early round picks we pinned our hopes and aspirations on, only to be sadly disappointed.

That said, I am hopeful this recent crop of prospects bears fruit. Imo this is the best the farm has looked in years. Time, money and human resources produced a respectable system often mentioned with some of the best in MiLB.
    I understand those palyers but Brien Taylor is in his own category. Top pick in the entire draft and this idiot gets into a fight and uses his pitching arm. A-Hole.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanAlways View Post
    I understand those palyers but Brien Taylor is in his own category. Top pick in the entire draft and this idiot gets into a fight and uses his pitching arm. A-Hole.
    Correct ,that was just dumb luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanAlways View Post
    Agree. Taylor was not a bust, he was a never was. Sad in a way. Also very stupid.

Agree. Taylor was not a bust, he was a never was. Sad in a way. Also very stupid.
    I was just thinking (dangerous) didn’t he land on his pitching shoulder?

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    I was just thinking (dangerous) didn’t he land on his pitching shoulder?

Either before or after throwing a haymaker

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Either before or after throwing a haymaker
    Yeah but you should’ve seen the other guy!!!

Here is an update on the 19 prospects Brian Cashman has traded over the last several months, thought you guys might be interested in seeing what we gave up. IMO the biggest losses are still Roansy and Alcantara. It is, as you would suspect, a mixed bag.

The Jameson Taillon deal:

RHP Roansy Contreras – While he didn’t make it to the big leagues this season, Contreras is on track to make his debut in 2022. His ascent was likely delayed by the fact that he only made 12 starts, posting a 2.65 ERA (2.74 FIP), 34.9% K, and 5.5% BB. If your first thought is that those are mightily impressive numbers, you are correct. Contrares could easily become the one prospect the Yankees regret trading in the long run.

RHP Miguel Yajure – After coming off of the 60-day IL, Yajure has only been used in the minor leagues. Down in Triple-A, he has compiled nine starts, posting a 3.09 ERA (4.35 FIP) to go along with a 23% K and 7.5% BB. He made a pair of starts with the Pirates earlier in the season. He should settle in as a back-of-the-rotation starter or swingman.

OF Canaan Smith-Njigba – Since my last update, Smith-Njigba only added 18 plate appearances to his total due to a right thigh injury. He finished the season at .274/.398/.406 in 266 PA. As stated back then, his LD% has dropped considerably since his 2019 breakout in the Yankees organization. There is room for him to become an MLB player capable of gap power and a disciplined approach (16.9% BB)

IF Maikol Escotto – In his age 19 season, Escotto ended the season at .234/.354/.347 in 381 PA down in Low-A. He added in 22 stolen bases in 27 attempts. While he played 2B/SS/3B as a member of the Yankees system, all 77 of his games (74 starts) were at shortstop in 2021.

The Greg Allen deal:

LHP James Reeves – Reeves (28) pitched well for the Padres’ Double-A affiliate but had no such luck in Triple-A (15.83 ERA/10.17 FIP in 9.2 IP). This was (obviously) a rather small deal to add outfield depth for the Yankees and relief depth for the Padres. Allen provided some energy to the Yankees’ MLB club earlier in the season.

The Adam Ottavino deal:

RHP Frank German – Perhaps forgotten by the Yankees faithful, Brian Cashman had to include a prospect to get the Red Sox to eat Ottavino’s money. The 23-year old pitched the full season in Double-A, where he posted a 5.12 ERA (4.80 FIP) over 84.1 IP with a small 18.9% K rate and not-so-fabulous 41.9% GB rate. I hate hate hate (did I say hate?) giving up prospects just to dump a contract (especially when you are the New York Yankees), but it appears improbable that German will bite the Yankees.

The Rougned Odor deal:

OF Josh Stowers – The 24-year old, who the Yankees acquired for Shed Long (technically, though the reality is that he was the return for Sonny Gray), played for the Rangers’ Double-A affiliate, where he showed off some power (.466 SLG; 20 home runs) and speed (21-for-25 SB). The strikeouts were certainly too high (30.2%) and his true ceiling appears to be as a backup OF. His profile is enhanced if he can cover center field, something the Rangers had him do for only 61 innings this season in Double-A.

OF Antonio Cabello – The 20-year old didn’t play one game at Low-A since my previous update. In 44 games at Low-A, he compiled a .156/.218/.262 (33 wRC+) line over 156 plate appearances. He was sent down to the Complex League, where he fared much better (.307/.422/.480 in 24 games). Given that he hung around in the rookie leagues for 102 games with the Yankees between 2018-2019, it is safe to say that he has a big hill to climb.

The Tim Locastro deal:

RHP Keegan Curtis – The Rule 5 eligible Curtis pitched in only ten innings split between Double-A and Triple-A for Arizona. His K rate, which was sky high in his 16 innings with Somerset (39.1%), tanked after the trade (18.5% in Triple-A; 23.1% in Double-A). He has a good arm, but the Yankees have a lot of relief prospects with good arms. They couldn’t keep them all.

The Clay Holmes deal:

UTIL Hoy Park – Park, who received a bit of a cult following after crushing the ball down in Scranton, has 120 plate appearances in MLB this season, where he sports a .184/.288/.330 (70 wRC+) line. The Pirates have him playing everywhere (2B/SS/3B/LF/CF/RF). He can certainly make a living doing that but will have to hit more if he wants to stick.

UTIL Diego Castillo – One of the breakout surprises earlier this season, Castillo is now playing in Triple-A for the Pirates. In that brief time, he has a pair of doubles and home runs in 48 PA. His contact-hitting style combined with his sudden power surge (18 home runs overall this season) adds up to an interesting profile, but his Rule 5 status and the Yankees’ logjam made it appear unlikely that they would be able to protect him. A place like Pittsburgh is perfect for him.

The Joey Gallo / Joely Rodriguez deal:

RHP Glenn Otto – Otto had a nice MLB debut, but his first four MLB starts have not gone according to plan (9.37 ERA in 16.1 IP), but it does come with a 3.10 FIP/3.61 xFIP. He has generated ground balls at a 50% clip while striking out 24.7% of the batters he has faced. Otto is not scheduled to start against the Yankees this week.

IF Josh Smith – Smith initially was placed in High-A (9 games) but was quickly moved up to Double-A. Predictably, he has done very well for himself, hitting .294/.425/.431 (139 wRC+) in 127 PA with a 14.2% BB and 15.7% K rate. While there could be a utility role for him down the road, the Rangers have not even tried to start that process. He has played all 39 games (38 starts) at shortstop. This kid can hit and has the potential to overachieve.

2B Ezequiel Duran – Duran could not keep up the pace. In High-A for the Yankees, he produced a stellar .290/.374/.533 (138 wRC+) over 297 PA. For Texas’ High-A affiliate, the numbers have crashed to .229/.287/.408 with seven home runs. The differences? His K rate has spiked by 10% (from 23.9% to 33.9%) and his walk rate dropped from 9.4% to 6.9%. This can’t be explained away by BABIP. While his number was higher with the Yankees, it is still at .309 for Texas.

2B/OF Trevor Hauver – It feels like a million years ago when Hauver came out of the gate like a rabbit horse on Kentucky Derby day, crushing six home runs in his first five professional games. While he never escaped Low-A with the Yankees (he eventually would have), Texas challenged him instantly by placing him in High-A. He compiled a .247/.357/.426 (114 wRC+) line with an expected drop in his BB rate. Why was it expected? It seems obvious to me that the computerized strike zone in the Low-A Southeast spiked BB rates. Combine that with more advanced pitching and you see some numbers that are skewed. While the Rangers initially threw him in LF, he did receive some playing time at 2B as well (his position with the Yankees).

The Anthony Rizzo deal:

RHP Alexander Vizcaino – Vizcaino essentially used 2021 as a rehab year. For the Cubs, he appeared in six games (five starts) but only tossed 13.2 innings. He did show off his strikeout stuff in those innings (32.2%) and will be an interesting arm to follow next year.

OF Kevin Alcantara – The Cubs were smart to target Alcantara in the Rizzo trade, and he has rewarded them with his performance (.337/.415/.609 in 107 PA, though it does come with a .443 BABIP). The 18-year old spent the summer down in the Complex League (not surprising) but should be good to go for Low-A in 2022. That is where the fun can really begin.

The Andrew Heaney deal:

RHP Janson Junk – Junk has two starts with the Angels, posting a 2.25 ERA (7.41 FIP ) over a measly eight innings. For their Double-A affiliate, he posted a 5.27 ERA (4.43 FIP) over 27.1 innings. That may not scream “We must promote him!” to you, but the Angels are in the “get your MLB feet wet” portion of their season.

RHP Elvis Peguero – Peguero also climbed to the big leagues, though his three games were not very good. This is why trades like this are good for players like Peguero, who would never make it to the big leagues with the Yankees. Out in California, he gets to make his MLB debut, earn some big league money, and get some health insurance out of the deal.

I credit Cashman for not selling out and keeping the vast majority of the top level guys.

With that said, the Junk for Heaney? That one still annoys me.

I was bummed to see Alcatara go but it was worth it.

Ignorance is bliss

Although not part of a trade package, Garrett Whitlock's rule 5 loss to the Sox hurts. However read today he had to leave a Sox game with right pectoral tightness. After third baseman Rafael Devers noticed the pitcher putting his hand on his chest, Cora was taking no chances.

“[Devers] saw it. Velocity was down. He threw a pitch at 92, and Raffy was the one that got my attention,” said Cora. “We’ll know more tomorrow, obviously, on the off-day. It’s too soon to know what’s going on.”

Needless to say, the news will be of significant importance to the Red Sox.

The optimism regarding the Red Sox is higher than it has been in months, with Cora's club on a five-game winning streak while continuing to fill out its regular roster. But Whitlock represents a piece of the puzzle that would be hard to replace.

For starters, the Red Sox are 31-14 in games the rookie has pitched, including 15-4 in outings of two innings or more. There have also been a major league-best 30 appearances that have lasted at least one inning that hasn't included a single run.

Whitlock's ERA sits at 1.99, having struck out 79 in 72 1/3 innings, walking just 17.

He absolutely has a case for American League Rookie of the Year, although his lot in life as set-up man has buried him when it comes to Vegas odds for the honor. Outside of Boston, the appreciation for what the Rule 5 pick is doing most likely won't trump the numbers being put up by Randy Arozarena, Adolis Garcia, Ryan Mountcastle and even Houston starter pitcher Luis Garcia.

But no matter what the perception is of Whitlock is around baseball circles, the reality is that he has become one of the most valuable members of a team trying to push their way through the postseason.

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/r...rrett-whitlock

Although not part of a trade package, Garrett Whitlock's rule 5 loss to the Sox hurts. However read today he had to leave a Sox game with right pectoral tightness. After third baseman Rafael Devers noticed the pitcher putting his hand on his chest, Cora was taking no chances.

“[Devers] saw it. Velocity was down. He threw a pitch at 92, and Raffy was the one that got my attention,” said Cora. “We’ll know more tomorrow, obviously, on the off-day. It’s too soon to know what’s going on.”

Needless to say, the news will be of significant importance to the Red Sox.

The optimism regarding the Red Sox is higher than it has been in months, with Cora's club on a five-game winning streak while continuing to fill out its regular roster. But Whitlock represents a piece of the puzzle that would be hard to replace.

For starters, the Red Sox are 31-14 in games the rookie has pitched, including 15-4 in outings of two innings or more. There have also been a major league-best 30 appearances that have lasted at least one inning that hasn't included a single run.

Whitlock's ERA sits at 1.99, having struck out 79 in 72 1/3 innings, walking just 17.

He absolutely has a case for American League Rookie of the Year, although his lot in life as set-up man has buried him when it comes to Vegas odds for the honor. Outside of Boston, the appreciation for what the Rule 5 pick is doing most likely won't trump the numbers being put up by Randy Arozarena, Adolis Garcia, Ryan Mountcastle and even Houston starter pitcher Luis Garcia.

But no matter what the perception is of Whitlock is around baseball circles, the reality is that he has become one of the most valuable members of a team trying to push their way through the postseason.

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/r...rrett-whitlock
    Pec tightness? Ouch. It makes me think of TOS. It's most likely not and probably just a strain but whenever I hear of a pitcher with tightness in the chest, my brain goes worst case.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Yeah but you should’ve seen the other guy!!!

If I recall correctly, what made it worse was that the Yankees wanted him to go to winter ball and he said he wanted to go home. What made his injury understandable though is that he got it trying to break up a fight that his brother got in. We'd all stand up for our brothers, but it's unfortunate that he wasn't away from it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    If I recall correctly, what made it worse was that the Yankees wanted him to go to winter ball and he said he wanted to go home. What made his injury understandable though is that he got it trying to break up a fight that his brother got in. We'd all stand up for our brothers, but it's unfortunate that he wasn't away from it in the first place.
    I posted this above but because you said similar, there are two versions. One is just what you posted. The other is his other got a beat down and he went looking for the guy

It's Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth.

"On December 18, 1993, Taylor was injured while defending his brother Brenden in a fistfight. The New York Times reported that Brenden confronted a man named Ron Wilson, who he had fought with in Harlowe, North Carolina. Brenden suffered head lacerations during his fight with Wilson. Once Brien discovered his brother had been hurt, he and a cousin went to Wilson's trailer home to confront him. There, Taylor got into an altercation with Jamie Morris, Wilson's friend, and Taylor fell on his shoulder.[13] According to Wilson, Taylor attempted to throw a haymaker at Morris, but missed, which caused the injury"

In the first scenario, breaking up a fight to protect someone, I fully agree. But if his brother went to fight a dude and lost then Brien went to the guys house? DAF. Either way, it's a mistake he has to live with and that sucks.
    If it was defending his brother in the moment? You can live with it.
    If it was your brother who started the mess and you followed? Ouch.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I posted this above but because you said similar, there are two versions. One is just what you posted. The other is his other got a beat down and he went looking for the guy

It's Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth.

"On December 18, 1993, Taylor was injured while defending his brother Brenden in a fistfight. The New York Times reported that Brenden confronted a man named Ron Wilson, who he had fought with in Harlowe, North Carolina. Brenden suffered head lacerations during his fight with Wilson. Once Brien discovered his brother had been hurt, he and a cousin went to Wilson's trailer home to confront him. There, Taylor got into an altercation with Jamie Morris, Wilson's friend, and Taylor fell on his shoulder.[13] According to Wilson, Taylor attempted to throw a haymaker at Morris, but missed, which caused the injury"

In the first scenario, breaking up a fight to protect someone, I fully agree. But if his brother went to fight a dude and lost then Brien went to the guys house? DAF. Either way, it's a mistake he has to live with and that sucks.
    If it was defending his brother in the moment? You can live with it.
    If it was your brother who started the mess and you followed? Ouch.
    Whatever the reason, he had his ticket out f poverty and possibly a rough and tumble existence, but unfortunately didn't seize the opportunity. Bad Luck and poor decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Whatever the reason, he had his ticket out f poverty and possibly a rough and tumble existence, but unfortunately didn't seize the opportunity. Bad Luck and poor decision making.
    100%. I was just fascinated by the story, so I did some snooping. Here's a good write up of his past and present.

https://firstbowman.com/where-is-brien-taylor/

Ignorance is bliss

It was way before y time but i always heard Taylor went back to fight the guy who beat up his bro. Boras was asked before last yrs draft who the most talented pitcher he had ever seen/ represented. He said Taylor and its not close. Did he really throw 100+ with 2 plus, plus breaking balls ??

Page 83 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast