Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

In the Name of Equity, California Will Discourage Students Who Are Gifted at Math

https://reason.com/2021/05/04/califo...uity-calculus/

Finally, a state taking education seriously by preventing the so called "gifted" students from getting to far ahead of everyone else.

From the guidelinges that the state is putting forward.

All students deserve powerful mathematics; we reject ideas of natural gifts and talents," reads a bulletpoint in chapter one of the framework. "The belief that 'I treat everyone the same' is insufficient: Active efforts in mathematics teaching are required in order to counter the cultural forces that have led to and continue to perpetuate current inequities."
    I'm glad that the California Education system is realizing that things like Natural Ability is ********, the only difference between LBJ or Albert Einstein and anyone else is the SOCIATAL PRESSURES.

The Second Chapter that they're putting forward on their guidelines is particularly inspiring.
    The entire second chapter of the framework is about connecting math to social justice concepts like bias and racism: "Teachers can support discussions that center mathematical reasoning rather than issues of status and bias by intentionally defining what it means to do and learn mathematics together in ways that include and highlight the languages, identities, and practices of historically marginalized communities." Teachers should also think creatively about what math even entails: "To encourage truly equitable and engaging mathematics classrooms we need to broaden perceptions of mathematics beyond methods and answers so that students come to view mathematics as a connected, multi-dimensional subject that is about sense making and reasoning, to which they can contribute and belong."
    Finally they understand that Math isn't about functions and formulas and coming to exact answers, it's about Racial Justice and Protesting.
    For instance, if 80 people are protesting the racially economic injustice of a pipe line and 43 have to *GO TO WORK* because we live in an evil capitalist system that forces you to produce goods and services others want just so you can SURVIVE how, what percentage of the protestors are remaining at the protest.
    Last edited by ciaban2.0; 05-04-2021 at 03:46 PM.

I love it when people who move away from California because they can't afford to live there any longer force themselves to display this deep loathing for the area and its politics.

Wait are they saying (and we're supposed to be aggrieved) by the idea that some children need more help in their studies than others?
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Wait are they saying (and we're supposed to be aggrieved) by the idea that some children need more help in their studies than others?
    Well, no, they're arguing that there is no basic difference between children, so the idea that some students would need help or are *less good* is purely a societal conditioning.

Also, this won't be giving ADDITIONAL help to those who would conceivably need it (Not that they would since were all 100% equal). It bans teaching algebra to middle schoolers and Calculus to High Schoolers.

https://twitter.com/SteveMillerOC/st...57676548014080

One of the major problems that the CA DoE points to is

“In California in 2004-2014, 32% of Asian American students were in gifted programs, compared with 8% of White students, 4% of Black students, and 3% of Latinx students”
    The CA DoE correctly points out that there are just to many god damn Asians in these programs. So if you get rid of the programs, you won't have this problem anymore.

This makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In the Name of Equity, California Will Discourage Students Who Are Gifted at Math

Damn woke libs. Ok now that we have that out of the way maybe we should look at what we know from the article. First the headline says “California will” then the article describes this as a proposal or actually a framework for a proposal. The quotes from the proposal say schools should have mixed abilty classes pre high school, calc in HS is overrated, and teachers should use real life and multicultural examples to link teaching to real life experience and encourage engagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 05-05-2021 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Wow. This will definitely make sure people vote for Trump in 2024.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Always know it'll be a joke of a thread when OP is the one who created it.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    https://reason.com/2021/05/04/califo...uity-calculus/

Finally, a state taking education seriously by preventing the so called "gifted" students from getting to far ahead of everyone else.

From the guidelinges that the state is putting forward.

I'm glad that the California Education system is realizing that things like Natural Ability is ********, the only difference between LBJ or Albert Einstein and anyone else is the SOCIATAL PRESSURES.
    Societal*

But criticizes an education system? LOL

The Lost Boys of PSD

Perfect.

Well, no, they're arguing that there is no basic difference between children, so the idea that some students would need help or are *less good* is purely a societal conditioning.

Also, this won't be giving ADDITIONAL help to those who would conceivably need it (Not that they would since were all 100% equal). It bans teaching algebra to middle schoolers and Calculus to High Schoolers.
    nothing you posted talks about banning Calc and a proposed revision to a framework can't ban anything. On it’s face I support “G and T” despite knowing little about it. I also think you are posting propaganda again.

Last edited by ewing; 05-05-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Damn woke libs. Ok now that we have that out of the way maybe we should look at what we know from the article. First the headline says “California will” then the article describes this as a proposal or actually a framework for a proposal. The quotes from the proposal say schools should have mixed abilty classes pre high school, calc in HS is overrated, and teachers should use real life and multicultural examples to link teaching to real life experience and encourage engagement.

How do you have mixed abilty math class where one student is struggling with Algebra and the other is doing calc?

Calc isn't over rated if you want to get into a STEM field, the point of the advanced classes is to prep kids for college.

How do you have mixed abilty math class where one student is struggling with Algebra and the other is doing calc?

Calc isn't over rated if you want to get into a STEM field, the point of the advanced classes is to prep kids for college.
    IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Wow. This will definitely make sure people vote for Trump in 2024.
    Trump might 35% of the vote in California now.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085