Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Mets fire hitting coaches Chili Davis and assistant Tom Slater

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...26319499448327

Not surprised. Rojas might be next if the struggling continues.

Yep... Better now than season gets out of control.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Some of the guys were turning it around, but too little to late.

I'm sure the players will now take blame, saying it wasn't his fault.... But still... Gotta wonder if it was. Problem is now they have no hitter coach. Maybe that's better...

Who's gonna be the replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    I'm sure the players will now take blame, saying it wasn't his fault.... But still... Gotta wonder if it was. Problem is now they have no hitter coach. Maybe that's better...

Who's gonna be the replacement?
    Hugh Quattlebaum (yes that's a real person). Kevin Howard will be his assistant.

This was a mistake. Davis knew what he was doing. He turned around the careers of J.D. Davis and Dom Smith. He made them into better hitters. Things were just starting to gel when this happened. They're gonna regret this move.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Hugh Quattlebaum (yes that's a real person). Kevin Howard will be his assistant.
    Weird way to spell Donnie Stevenson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    This was a mistake. Davis knew what he was doing. He turned around the careers of J.D. Davis and Dom Smith. He made them into better hitters. Things were just starting to gel when this happened. They're gonna regret this move.
    I can only assume you're kidding right? But just in case, His situational hitting approach with different types of swings in different situations is dumb af. Sure, it could make sense sometimes, say with Nido up with man on 3rd and 1 out. But u don't want Alonso up there with a man on second and no outs trying to hit a ground ball to the right side to advance the runner to 3rd.

His old school methods don't work in today's game. See ya.

I’ve always hated Tom Slater

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

lindor cant hit for **** and these dudes get fired.... i mean at least something is being done,rojas has got to be next.

Because this will teach guys who have been playing ball for 15 years how to suddenly hit.

No excuses for the hitters on this team. Suck less.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Yeah I'm not convinced hitting coaches have a lot of influence on Major League hitters...but maybe? Anyway, something needed to be done, and I guess this is the first thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Yeah I'm not convinced hitting coaches have a lot of influence on Major League hitters...but maybe? Anyway, something needed to be done, and I guess this is the first thing.
    Pretty much. Hitting coaches get too much credit and blame. Players have to perform.

This reminds me a lot of 1999 when the Mets were 27-28 and fired their pitching coach and one other coach on a Saturday night before the ESPN Sunday night game with the Yanks. They crushed the Yanks and played well the rest of the year to gain the wild card and played went on in the playoffs to the Grand Slam Single game.

Three things:

1. They are hoping the change will shake things up;

2. The new coaches (at ages 42 and 39) are in the same age range as Rojas. Chili is 61 years old;

3. I doubt the Coach Donnie thing had anything to do with this but it does not seem so funny anymore. Alonso et al probably feel bad about it. It may just go away.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Because this will teach guys who have been playing ball for 15 years how to suddenly hit.

No excuses for the hitters on this team. Suck less.

No but certain philosophies translate differently.

Chilli had an old school, leveled swing, situational hitting philosophy that backfired.

It’s not gonna teach them to hit but Chilli might look at a guy and think “hey, you should do ABC” whereas the new coach will say “you should do xyz”

sometimes a matter of perspective can make all the difference.

Maybe the new guy can teach Lindor to hit.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast