Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 993
  1. #301
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,847
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Tough for me to get too mad at the Hicks deal. Locking him in for $70M total coming off the year he was bagels of free agency was a great deal for us on paper. The fact he took it over so many years was great value too. He was a guy looked worth investing $70M or more in for shorter term.

    He’s just been hurt literally every week after signing the deal it feels like. I chalk that one up to bad luck more than I do any Cashman blame.

    It’s totally different than the Ellsbury deal. Sure there was some bad luck in him getting hurt, but that was a bad deal right from the start. That wasn’t a case of a good logic signing that went bad due to unforeseen circumstances, there was never any good logic to begin with.
    Spot On. 100%.

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Bad luck after the deal ??? The guy had been on the DL several times before he was given the deal . It’s not like he was always completely healthy before he signed that deal and then his injuries came out of nowhere. He had gone on the DL 3 times in the previous 2 seasons before he got that contract , including twice in 2017 ..
    It’s a huge leap to go from “this guy has had a few DL stints the past few years” compared to this “guy will only be able to play a handful of games for the next few years”. Nothing seemed chronic with any injury he’s had to where we should have been worried about the latter. It’s just worked out that way, which sucks. But predicting the randomness of that stuff isn’t fair to ask of a GM imo.

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    And that doesn’t even include the other moronic trades he has done over the last few years .and this year But back to hicks , I knew from day 1 that , that contract was a stupid move . Who in their right mind gives an injury prone outfielder a seven year deal?!?! I mean did he learn nothing from elsbury ??

    How much more evidence do we need to see that Hal cares more about the bottom line than winning a ws?
    That's a signing the vast majority of teams would do for the simple fact that centerfielders that can hit are virtually nonexistent outside of the typical names you hear every year and those players are not available. I wasn't a fan of the Hicks signing, but it is what it is. What precisely was your solution to centerfield?

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,946
    Jameson Taillon breaks through to maintain Yankees’ shutout streak
    By Greg Joyce May 23, 2021 | 9:49pm | Updated

    Jameson Taillon is no longer the odd man out.

    After entering Sunday as the last Yankees starter to have allowed a run, Taillon joined the shutout streak himself and laid the foundation for a 5-4 win over the White Sox in The Bronx.

    Taillon tossed five innings of zeroes for his first scoreless outing of the season, pushing the Yankees starters’ shutout streak to 35 innings. He passed the baton back to the man who started it, Corey Kluber, who will try to keep it going Tuesday against the Blue Jays.


    https://nypost.com/2021/05/23/jameso...hutout-streak/

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,946
    GET YOUR WS TICKETS NOW BEFORE THE CRUNCH!

    The Yankees have signed right-hander Sal Romano to a minor league deal and assigned him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, per an announcement from the RailRiders (Twitter link). He became a free agent earlier this week after being outrighted by the Reds.

    Romano had pitched in fourteen games for Cincinnati this year, his most extensive MLB work since 2018. Over 20 2/3 relief innings, Romano pitched to a 5.23 ERA with a poor 13.2% strikeout rate and an average 9.9% walk percentage. The 27-year-old has never missed many bats, and he’s bottomed out in that regard this year; Romano’s 5.1% swinging strike rate is tied for 240th among 244 relievers with at least ten innings pitched. He also didn’t come out of the gates with his typical velocity; Romano has averaged 93.3 MPH on his sinker this season, down about two ticks from his previous levels.

    I like the name. Sal Romano sounds like a BB player.

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    It’s a huge leap to go from “this guy has had a few DL stints the past few years” compared to this “guy will only be able to play a handful of games for the next few years”. Nothing seemed chronic with any injury he’s had to where we should have been worried about the latter. It’s just worked out that way, which sucks. But predicting the randomness of that stuff isn’t fair to ask of a GM imo.
    Sorry I disagree , he was injury prone before the contract and even more injury prone after it . I am sure you thought the elsbury contract was a huge mistake but he wasn’t that injury prone until after that contract . You simply just don’t give 7 years to a guy that just went on the dL 3 times in the last two seasons especially after you are already paying another center fielder for being on the DL . It was a dumb mistake by cashman who had learned nothing from the elsbury trade at the time

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    39,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Sorry I disagree , he was injury prone before the contract and even more injury prone after it . I am sure you thought the elsbury contract was a huge mistake but he wasn’t that injury prone until after that contract . You simply just don’t give 7 years to a guy that just went on the dL 3 times in the last two seasons especially after you are already paying another center fielder for being on the DL . It was a dumb mistake by cashman who had learned nothing from the elsbury trade at the time
    Please list Hicks's injuries and IL times before he signed his most recent deal?
    How many times was Elsbury on the IL and for how long each time before he signed ?

    The inaccuracies of your concept are blatant.



    Ignorance is bliss

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Please list Hicks's injuries and IL times before he signed his most recent deal?
    How many times was Elsbury on the IL and for how long each time before he signed ?

    The inaccuracies of your concept are blatant.
    3 times on the dL in the previous 2 seasons before signing that contract .

    Phoba also didn’t think that contract was a good idea and never liked that deal
    Last edited by Posada20; 05-24-2021 at 10:27 AM.

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    .

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,847
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, IMO, arguing that the Hicks deal was a very bad one is ridiculous. At the time the Yankees signed Hicks, he was assessed by MLB Network as being the second best CF in the AL behind Mike Trout and the team was able to lock him up for 7 years at $10 million per year. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but at the time, most people thought the deal was an absolute steal in favor of the Yankees for a switch hitter who can play all three OF positions with 27 HR power and a .400 OBP. Any complaint now is revisionist history. It didn't work out, but at the time, Cashman deserved extremely high praise for the signing.

    I have been on record stating that the Ellsbury deal was the worst deal in history. I always had a low opinion of Ellsbury and on the day the deal was made, for that one mistake alone, I was in favor of Cashman being fired 9and I have never felt that way about Cashman before or since), because I could not believe the galactic stupidity of it.

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, IMO, arguing that the Hicks deal was a very bad one is ridiculous. At the time the Yankees signed Hicks, he was assessed by MLB Network as being the second best CF in the AL behind Mike Trout and the team was able to lock him up for 7 years at $10 million per year. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but at the time, most people thought the deal was an absolute steal in favor of the Yankees for a switch hitter who can play all three OF positions with 27 HR power and a .400 OBP. Any complaint now is revisionist history. It didn't work out, but at the time, Cashman deserved extremely high praise for the signing.

    I have been on record stating that the Ellsbury deal was the worst deal in history. I always had a low opinion of Ellsbury and on the day the deal was made, for that one mistake alone, I was in favor of Cashman being fired 9and I have never felt that way about Cashman before or since), because I could not believe the galactic stupidity of it.
    Wel I just can’t agree that giving hicks 7 years after being on the DL 3 times in the previous 2 seasons was a good move . You would think that elsbury would have made cashman gun shy about giving such long contracts out to injury prone players . I would have understood it cashman had given him 4 or 5 years but not 7.

  12. #312
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,139
    I can only speak for myself,however I thought the Hicks deal was a steal,we got him for virtually nothing,he is a very good outfielder and a switch hitter who can not only hit for power but average as well.
    The Ellsbury deal reminded me of spending like a drunken sailor. We just signed an outfielder who's game is soley based on his speed to a long deal who was I think 30 at the time? I thought we were smart that winter to not sign Cano and save the money then we went and did something dumb like that.
    Now obviously NONE of us know for FACT that this is true but I'ver heard on more than more than one occasion that the Ell's signing was Randy Levine and not Cash. Take it for what it's worth,I wasn't in the room when they made the decision.
    Let's hope Hick's finally gets healthy and is able to make his signing a good investment for our club

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    I can only speak for myself,however I thought the Hicks deal was a steal,we got him for virtually nothing,he is a very good outfielder and a switch hitter who can not only hit for power but average as well.
    The Ellsbury deal reminded me of spending like a drunken sailor. We just signed an outfielder who's game is soley based on his speed to a long deal who was I think 30 at the time? I thought we were smart that winter to not sign Cano and save the money then we went and did something dumb like that.
    Now obviously NONE of us know for FACT that this is true but I'ver heard on more than more than one occasion that the Ell's signing was Randy Levine and not Cash. Take it for what it's worth,I wasn't in the room when they made the decision.
    Let's hope Hick's finally gets healthy and is able to make his signing a good investment for our club
    That’s not likely to happen since hicks is going to be 32 after this season . Yankees would be fortunate if they even get one more healthy season out of him after this season . The older he gets the less likely he an stay healthy for a full season . The smartest choice for the Yankees would be to have him replace Gardner as the 4th outfielder after this season . As for the elsbury deal , I was never a big fan of it for the same reason I am not a fan of the hicks contract . I thought it was too long of a contract and had hoped the money they saved on cano would have gone to pitching instead
    Last edited by Posada20; 05-24-2021 at 11:00 AM.

  14. #314
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    39,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    3 times on the dL in the previous 2 seasons before signing that contract .

    Phoba also didn’t think that contract was a good idea and never liked that deal
    Again, post the length to time he was on the IR and the injuries he had.

    If you read, I didn't like the signing either but for different reasons. I can't speak as to why Phoba didn't like the deal but neither do you, so don't presume his reasons are the same as yours, therefore your finger pointing at him has zero basis in the argument.

    You claim he was injured prone before the signing, which is why it was a bad deal. I am directly asking, what exactly were his injuries and how long was he out each time?

    Who spent more time on the IR before being signed, Hicks or Elsbury?
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 05-24-2021 at 11:19 AM.



    Ignorance is bliss

  15. #315
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    He spent over a month combined on the dL in 2017 due to reoccurring oblique injuries . Then in 2018 he started the season on the dL with yet another muscle injury .that one caused him to miss about 2 weeks

Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •