Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

SEASON FINALE Tampa Bay Rays @ NY Yankees Oct. 1-3

The Tampa Bay Rays and New York Yankees meet Friday in MLB action at Yankee Stadium. The Rays look for a win after winning five of their last seven games. The Yankees look for a win after winning eight of their last nine games.

The Rays have won seven straight games when scoring four or more runs. Randy Arozarena leads the Rays with 141 hits and 69 RBI while Brandon Lowe and Joey Wendle have combined for 250 hits and 146 RBI. Shane McClanahan gets the ball, and he is 10-6 with a 3.44 ERA and 138 strikeouts this season. McClanahan is 0-2 with a 6.75 ERA and 12 strikeouts in his career against the Yankees.

The Yankees have scored 18 runs in their last three games and four or more runs in nine straight games. NY have won 12 of their last 13 games when scoring four or more runs. DJ LeMahieu leads the Yankees with 160 hits and 57 RBI while Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton have combined for 292 hits and 193 RBI. Nestor Cortes gets the ball, and he is 2-2 with a 2.85 ERA and 98 strikeouts this season. Cortes is 0-0 with a 4.41 ERA and 18 strikeouts in his career against the Rays.

The Rays are 10-2 in their last 12 Friday games and 51-24 in their last 75 overall. The Yankees are 5-2 in their last 7 home games and 19-7 in their last 26 during game 1 of a series. The under is 6-1 in Rays last 7 overall. The under is 12-4 in Yankees last 16 Friday games. The Rays are 11-4 in the last 15 meetings in New York.

McClanahan has been money lately, allowing six runs in his last 20 innings, while Cortes has allowed nine runs in his last 26.2 innings. The difference here is the Rays have nothing to play for and the Yankees need another win to clinch a wild card spot. The Yankees offense is on fire right now and getting timely hits.

Rays
    @
    Yankees

Fri, Oct 1 7:05 PM EDT
    At Yankee Stadium
    TV: YES, Bally Sports Sun, MLBN

Shane McClanahan
    LHP
    10-6, 3.44 ERA, 138 SO

Shane McClanahan allowed one run on six hits and one walk with three strikeouts through five innings, picking up the win in Saturday's 7-3 victory over the Marlins.

McClanahan continues to look good on the mound and over his last three starts has a 1.20 ERA and a K:BB of 13:4. Overall on the season, the 24-year-old starter is 10-6 with a 3.44 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, and 138/37 K/BB ratio over 120 1/3 innings.

Nestor Cortes
    LHP
    2-2, 2.85 ERA, 98 SO
    Nestor Cortes Jr. allowed two runs on four hits over 4 1/3 innings Saturday against Boston. He had four strikeouts and did not factor into the decision.

Cortes pitched another solid game but could not make it out of the fifth inning when he got into some trouble. Overall the 26-year-old lefty has had a good season with a 2.85 ERA and 1.08 WHIP in 21 appearances (13 starts). Cortes projects to face the Rays at home next Friday in his final start of the regular season.

Sat, Oct 2 1:05 PM EDT
    At Yankee Stadium
    TV: Bally Sports Sun, YES, MLBN

Shane Baz
    RHP
    2-0, 1.69 ERA, 14 SO
    Shane Baz allowed three hits and a walk over 5 2/3 scoreless innings Sunday, striking out nine and earning a win over the Marlins.

Baz has now won both his first two major league starts as the rookie has allowed just two runs over 10 2/3 innings with 14 strikeouts. Baz is lined up to take on the Yankees in a tough matchup in New York next weekend.

Jordan Montgomery
    LHP
    6-6, 3.49 ERA, 159 SO
    Jordan Montgomery pitched well in a no-decision against the Red Sox on Sunday, allowing just one run on seven hits with four strikeouts over five innings.

Montgomery has looked good in his last three starts allowing just one run in each after giving up seven runs to the Mets on September 10th. The 28-year-old right-hander will make his final outing of the regular season on Saturday against the Rays.

Sun, Oct 3 3:05 PM EDT
    At Yankee Stadium
    TV: YES, Bally Sports Sun

Michael Wacha
    RHP
    3-5, 5.26 ERA, 119 SO
    Michael Wacha did not factor in the decision against Houston on Tuesday despite pitching five hitless and scoreless innings. He allowed two walks while striking out six.

Wacha looked good on the mound and has allowed two or fewer earned runs in five of his past six outings, posting a 3.38 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, and 34:6 K:BB across 29 1/3 innings over that span. The 30-year-old righty looks like he will pick up one more start in the regular season, against the Yankees this coming weekend

TBD
    Last edited by drt1010; 10-01-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    First

Ignorance is bliss

Reggie Jackson
    @mroctober

The Judge has risen and is giving a verdict . Nice job my friend Clapping hands sign
    @TheJudge44

@Yankees

NY Yankees - LF Joey Galo (forearm) & 2B DJ LeMahieu (hip) are questionable tonight versus Tampa Bay.

Sweep!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    NY Yankees - LF Joey Galo (forearm) & 2B DJ LeMahieu (hip) are questionable tonight versus Tampa Bay.
    Can we send down Abrue, bring up Valasquez , put him at short and Gio back to third and give DJ a rest for the weekend?
    Id much rather do that then put either Odor at third or move Gleyber to short and have Odor at second and Gio at third.
    Id really like to give DJ the weekend off which is my whole point.
    Doc? Day? Help here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess, Torres doesn't move off 2B, Gio to SS (he's looked very good) and Odor to 3B? I'm not certain about bringing Velasquez up. I know they optioned him to AAA when they brought up Schmidt, it may be an issue of options.

Maybe Andujar at 3B?

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    My guess, Torres doesn't move off 2B, Gio to SS (he's looked very good) and Odor to 3B? I'm not certain about bringing Velasquez up. I know they optioned him to AAA when they brought up Schmidt, it may be an issue of options.

Maybe Andujar at 3B?
    Well thats probably what they will do put Odor at third, but I just thought defensively wed be better with Velazquez at short

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Can we send down Abrue, bring up Valasquez , put him at short and Gio back to third and give DJ a rest for the weekend?
    Id much rather do that then put either Odor at third or move Gleyber to short and have Odor at second and Gio at third.
    Id really like to give DJ the weekend off which is my whole point.
    Doc? Day? Help here

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sit DJ all weekend, I think Wade as SS is probably what we see though. They seem like they like this group of position players, so i probably see them using Wade and Stinky instead of calling Velasquez back up ... I wonder what happens with him this offseason

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Well thats probably what they will do put Odor at third, but I just thought defensively wed be better with Velazquez at short

You may be right, I just don't know the implications regarding his options, if in fact that is even an issue.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    To my knowledge

Velasquez is on the taxi squad. Not at Triple-A.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Looks like the rolling with Odor at 3B, which scares the daylights out of me. I have not been a fan of his 3B work. I guess they want more pop in the lineup, but with that pop also comes a bunch of swing and misses. Maybe he's being rewarded for being such a good teammate on the bench?

Not sure why Velasquez hasn't been back since his stint a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    To my knowledge

Velasquez is on the taxi squad. Not at Triple-A.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Confirmed. He was originally optioned to AAA to make room for Schmidt. Yankees summoned him from AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to Boston on Sunday to be a taxi-squad member as an insurance policy should DJ need time.

Quote Originally Posted by colinskik View Post
    Looks like the rolling with Odor at 3B, which scares the daylights out of me. I have not been a fan of his 3B work. I guess they want more pop in the lineup, but with that pop also comes a bunch of swing and misses. Maybe he's being rewarded for being such a good teammate on the bench?

Based on published reports: all glove not enough bat.

Quote Originally Posted by colinskik View Post

Strange, I'd prefer Wade in there for a day or two.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast