Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Jake Marisnick strikes out at a 30% clip...

Like what
    Didn't realize it was that bad for him
    Ok, scratch him lol

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Second player(Strop) to sign minor league deal elsewhere over staying with cubs organization

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/s...232346628?s=19

Iím pretty sure we released Workman after we DFAíd him.

So he didnít have a choice about staying with the organization.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post

Workman was DFA'd and subsequently released. Nailed it.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/...andon-workman/

Says he preferred free agency over taking an assignment in minors with cubs [emoji2369]

Things just looked wrong and off for Workman from the jump,*he imploded in his final outing with the team, and was designated for assignment last week. Ultimately, there were no takers out there for Workman on his current contract, and he mustíve preferred to explore free agency than accept an outright assignment to the minors (or the Cubs preferred it that way), because he has now been released per the teamís transaction wire.

Says he preferred free agency over taking an assignment in minors with cubs [emoji2369]

Things just looked wrong and off for Workman from the jump,*he imploded in his final outing with the team, and was designated for assignment last week. Ultimately, there were no takers out there for Workman on his current contract, and he mustíve preferred to explore free agency than accept an outright assignment to the minors (or the Cubs preferred it that way), because he has now been released per the teamís transaction wire.

This is exactly what a DFA is. The Cubs waive him off the 40 man. It's then up to him whether he would accept a AAA slot. If he says no (a formality), he is then released. The Cubs, may have, however, not even given him the option and just outrighted him. It really doesn't matter, it's either a formality on Workman refusing it, or the Cubs just dumped him. It almost always results in a release for a player who thinks they're MLB talent. Workman almost assuredly sees himself that way.

It frankly doesn't matter, because it's a very different situation than Strop, who was at the AAA site and opted out of his contract on his own, to pursue MLB options. Workman very well may have not even been offered a AAA slot.

He's been effectively released. It's semantics.

Second player(Strop) to sign minor league deal elsewhere over staying with cubs organization

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/s...232346628?s=19

I wonder why? Maybe just bad taste in their mouths? Or too many relievers competing for jobs with the Cubs? Who knows. Who cares lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I wonder why? Maybe just bad taste in their mouths? Or too many relievers competing for jobs with the Cubs? Who knows. Who cares lol.
    Just thought it was interesting

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    But just putting the ball in play doesn't do anything. The Cubs lineup has lacked, perhaps, guys who make more contact. They, however, don't lack players with a wRC+ in the 70's and the worst expected wOBA in the entire league.

I think it's fine to point out Duffy has exceeded expectations and that he's been a nice surprise. But please, let's just let the idea that Sogard is a good MLB bench player die. He's a replacement level JAG who just happens to not strikeout a lot. He puts the ball in play, great, but it only matters if something good happens when you do that. When Sogard puts the ball in play, he just gets out that way. Putting the ball can be very good in the right context. Sogard's been putting the ball in play, but doing so, so meekly, that xwOBA suggests his piss poor offensive output (.280 wOBA) is actually lucky as he's overperforming his expected output by .40 points. If kept up at the rate he's going, he's going to regress from being awful, to even worse.
    I agree with this, Sogard has sucked. However, I think at least the idea of getting him on the bench and giving him a shot was a decent one. The philosophy was that most of our regulars are low contact, high K swing-for-the-fences types, so bringing on some guys like Duffy and Sogard can help balance out the team a bit, and gives us options and more versatility as an offense. Likewise, Marisnick adds speed and a good glove in CF. I think any good bench needs to have decent players who can perform but also should help plug the weaknesses of the everyday guys.

On this team if a bench player's SLG sucks and wRC+ isn't impressive, they can still add value if they're able to drop down a bunt, execute a hit-and-run, get a guy in from 3rd etc. (small ball stuff). Our offense has been very 1-dimensional the last 2-3 years and not very good at those things. Punching a single doesn't mean much terms of driving up wRC+/OPS/WAR but if they can do it from time to time in a close game when called on it can make a difference beyond what shows up in those stats because it's high leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I agree with this, Sogard has sucked. However, I think at least the idea of getting him on the bench and giving him a shot was a decent one. The philosophy was that most of our regulars are low contact, high K swing-for-the-fences types, so bringing on some guys like Duffy and Sogard can help balance out the team a bit, and gives us options and more versatility as an offense. Likewise, Marisnick adds speed and a good glove in CF. I think any good bench needs to have decent players who can perform but also should help plug the weaknesses of the everyday guys.

On this team if a bench player's SLG sucks and wRC+ isn't impressive, they can still add value if they're able to drop down a bunt, execute a hit-and-run, get a guy in from 3rd etc. (small ball stuff). Our offense has been very 1-dimensional the last 2-3 years and not very good at those things. Punching a single doesn't mean much terms of driving up wRC+/OPS/WAR but if they can do it from time to time in a close game when called on it can make a difference beyond what shows up in those stats because it's high leverage.
    Eric Sogard has been bad almost every year of his career. The Chicago Cubs picked Sogard because he was the closest thing to "free". If the argument is "the Cubs should have versatile and good bench players" I agree. But Sogard was never going to be the answer, and the Cubs should have spent a few million and got an actual, good, bench player. Not a replacement level player most years of his career.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

https://twitter.com/feinsand/status/...708319232?s=21

WHOA. Angels have released Albert Pujols
    One of the worst signings ever! He accrued a total of 5.6 WAR during his painfully long tenure with the Angels. The last year that he was higher than a replacement level player was 2016. And that was .08 He has been a negative player every year since. It cost them about 43 million per win!!

Yah I wish we'd stop acting like the Cubs built a bench meant to make our hitting more versatile. They built a bench strictly around who was willing to play for them closest to free.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Yah I wish we'd stop acting like the Cubs built a bench meant to make our hitting more versatile. They built a bench strictly around who was willing to play for them closest to free.
    Yep. Same thing with this idea that they intentionally built a rotation full of soft tossers. I think thatís just what they could get for the money they had available to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I agree and i said in the beginning that the bench was trash overall, but we cant dismiss that a couple of those guys have been playing well so far....

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Yep. Same thing with this idea that they intentionally built a rotation full of soft tossers. I think thatís just what they could get for the money they had available to spend.
    Theyíve targeted pitch to contact junkballers like forever.

5/3-5/5: Dodgers (17-12) at Cubs (12-16) IGT

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Theyíve targeted pitch to contact junkballers like forever.
    In the draft they did for a while but that changed like 3 years ago.

Hendricks is good and happens to not throw fast. If the salary dump they got from SD threw 95 the Cubs would have taken that guy instead of Davies. They had to take back some money and heís just the salary dump they had to take back. Williams and Arrieta are what you get in free agency when you canít spend money. Adbert has good stuff.

I donít think they tried to have a rotation with 4/5 who struggle to hit low 90s. Itís just what they get at their budget level.
    Last edited by CP_414; 05-07-2021 at 05:37 PM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast