Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    Their is reason for optimism. We have added some decent pieces this offseason to the defense:

Yannick
    Jefferson
    Thomas
    Joseph
    Douglas
    Hayward
    Moehrig
    Deablo
    Koonce
    Gillespie
    Hobbs
    *Muse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iím being genuine

I love that we get hit in the mount (as fans) and we still come back optimistic (mostly).

Iím a homer I guess but I always feel like I enjoy the additions, but this year we picked up a lot of defense and that makes me very happy.

Mea spe renovatur quotannis.

My optimism is renewed every year.

Until it is punched in the gut...then it begins to ebb.

"...prone to stoogery.".

We improved at each level of the defense. I still feel as we will add another veteran or two.

More importantly we have actual depth on our defense now, for the first time in a long time. We had games last season where covid hit and we were throwing any warm body we could find out there. The secondary (maybe our last game vs chargers) had a bunch of practice squad players out there.

More importantly we got rid of Guenther. He had such a vanilla defense it was depressing to watch. 4 man rush - drop soft zone.

Hayward is a good signing. Itís been said many times but if the defense can rank in the range of 18-20th overall we have a shot. We simply donít have the talent to be a top 5-7 unit, but a lot of teams compete with average defense and above average offense. For me the most painful thing has been watching such a god-awful defense year in and year out. Darnold hadnít thrown a touchdown pass in like 2 months and he was carving us up, terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wang View Post
    Hayward is a good signing. Itís been said many times but if the defense can rank in the range of 18-20th overall we have a shot. We simply donít have the talent to be a top 5-7 unit, but a lot of teams compete with average defense and above average offense. For me the most painful thing has been watching such a god-awful defense year in and year out. Darnold hadnít thrown a touchdown pass in like 2 months and he was carving us up, terrible.
    Still comes down to pass rush. If we continue to get no pressure, it won't matter if we have a bunch of superstar DBs. Even bad NFL QBs look good when they have time to throw.

Not that Hayward won't help, but you can have mediocre DBs and a great front 7 and give opponents major headaches. The other way around doesn't work in today's NFL.

I am pretty excited with the guys we've brought in and the guys who we have retained. Most of all, I am excited about a new D coordinator and his staff. This D should perform markedly better than last season from coaching alone. Gunther was horrible. Communication on the D was horrible. Game plans, non existent? That's horrible if true. I can see us in the playoffs this year.
    Last edited by Wolfe-Raider; 05-07-2021 at 01:04 PM.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiStyle View Post
    More importantly we got rid of Guenther. He had such a vanilla defense it was depressing to watch. 4 man rush - drop soft zone.
    I think we'll be seeing more five man rush this year. Yannick will be our new rush linebacker like Bruce Irvin. Gruden had been begging for Guenther to do just that. He'll get his wish with Bradley I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
    Still comes down to pass rush. If we continue to get no pressure, it won't matter if we have a bunch of superstar DBs. Even bad NFL QBs look good when they have time to throw.

Not that Hayward won't help, but you can have mediocre DBs and a great front 7 and give opponents major headaches. The other way around doesn't work in today's NFL.
    Obviously a pass rush is crucial, but pass defense is all about having talented guys that can cover. In the second KC game, they absolutely bled us to death with short quick passes, because we simply couldnít cover any of their guys. It used to be you could have 1 good corner and your defense was set you could work the rest out. But nickel is the base defense these days, you need 3 good corners plus depth or teams will work your weak spots and you have no chance. I think pass defense is just as important as pass rush these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wang View Post
    Obviously a pass rush is crucial, but pass defense is all about having talented guys that can cover. In the second KC game, they absolutely bled us to death with short quick passes, because we simply couldnít cover any of their guys. It used to be you could have 1 good corner and your defense was set you could work the rest out. But nickel is the base defense these days, you need 3 good corners plus depth or teams will work your weak spots and you have no chance. I think pass defense is just as important as pass rush these days.
    KC adjusted after the first game. That 2nd game all they did was run and short passes to the backs, because we were taking away the deeper perimeter. We never changed coverage at all. Every team we played after that was the same story. We just did not have the personnel to change up. Guenther gets the blame, but there were many guys that didn't deserve to play, that's why they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    KC adjusted after the first game. That 2nd game all they did was run and short passes to the backs, because we were taking away the deeper perimeter. We never changed coverage at all. Every team we played after that was the same story. We just did not have the personnel to change up. Guenther gets the blame, but there were many guys that didn't deserve to play, that's why they're gone.
    Exactly. To be fair not many teams can match up with KC, but they also werenít the only team to light us up lol. Gunther was bad and needed to go but we just didnít have the horses to compete. Any NFL team with access to film can locate all our weak spots and expose us. It was depressing to watch, best not to think about it too long lol, we can only go up from here.

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    I think we'll be seeing more five man rush this year. Yannick will be our new rush linebacker like Bruce Irvin. Gruden had been begging for Guenther to do just that. He'll get his wish with Bradley I think.
    You realize Irving had his hand in the dirt far more often than not right?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    You realize Irving had his hand in the dirt far more often than not right?
    His position was still linebacker. He was moved there by Ken Norton Jr. and apparently it helped his career. If Ngakoue were to be moved to linebacker we would have a well balanced linebacker corps. Littleton whose expertise is in pass coverage will be the WILL. Kwiatkoski who excels in stopping the run will be our MIKE. And Ngakoue, who is an excellent pass rusher will be the SAM. He'll be rushing and defending against the run mostly. He'll never be the pass defender that Littleton is and Littleton will never be the passrusher that Ngakoue is. THAT'S BALANCE!!! Unfortunately Morrow won't be a starter unless they decide to use him as a safety/linebacker hybrid. That's the position he played in college. The strong safety in Bradley's defense plays like a linebacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    I am pretty excited with the guys we've brought in and the guys who we have retained. Most of all, I am excited about a new D coordinator and his staff. This D should perform markedly better than last season from coaching alone. Gunther was horrible. Communication on the D was horrible. Game plans, non existent? That's horrible if true. I can see us in the playoffs this year.
    Wolfe,

I look at you as a great prophet

Quote Originally Posted by Flash47 View Post
    Wolfe,

Thank you my brother. I just pray that my optimism and faith is rewarded. We will all be happier if that is the case. I truly do believe we should be better this season than last. Even our offense looks better with just a question or two on the line, but I think we will be good there.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by Flash47 View Post
    Wolfe,

And if he has false prophecies, you must stone him to death.

This guy has to be the pick if heís available.

Iím the president of the Christian Barmore fanclub.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast