Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Great play by Gio there, how the metrics can say he's not great defensively i will never understand. Also gotta give Torres some credit for his defense lately at SS. After that first, horrible, awful week defensively he's quietly been pretty good.

Now if he just starts hitting

Offense coming up big tonight .6-3 . Scary collision at home with odor

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Great play by Gio there, how the metrics can say he's not great defensively i will never understand. Also gotta give Torres some credit for his defense lately at SS. After that first, horrible, awful week defensively he's quietly been pretty good.

Now if he just starts hitting
    Both are great points. Seems that talk certainly woke Torres up a bit. It is still dumbfounding how he cannot seem to drive the ball anymore. That needs to change quickly or he won't be too valuable anymore.

[QUOTE=dayners81;33935973]I absolutely 100% agree with erring on the side of caution with Sevy. That said if he's feeling and looking as strong as has been reported I'd like to see him up my the end of June.

My reasoning for that is he is going to have alot of rust, or one would assume so after missing all this time. Start him off by starting 2-3 innings at first and let him work up. Starting him by the end of June/ early July that would give him the better part of 3 months to build up, knock the rust off and be ready to backup Cole in the playoffs.

With all the starters we have, plus all the ones we have that are close and coming, I'm really not worried about how many innings we get from Sevy. The most important part is he is as ready as he can be for the playoffs.

If we get to the playoffs, thats what matters most and thats going to be when we need Sevy at his best[/

Are you saying using him as an opener? Because that might not only work as far as building his arm strength up, it might also work to our advantage where we donít have to make a decision on who to pull from the rotation, cause we could just follow him up with (for example Monty?) so maybe we kill two birds with one stone?
    Although Iím not a fan of the opener, but letís let Blake handle it not Boone

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Both are great points. Seems that talk certainly woke Torres up a bit. It is still dumbfounding how he cannot seem to drive the ball anymore. That needs to change quickly or he won't be too valuable anymore.
    I think he will start hitting. Maybe heís tense trying too hard? Squeezing the bat too tight? Maybe he gets a couple cheap hits and that gets him going? I am thrilled that his D has started to come around

[QUOTE=runnermjr1296;33936011]
    I absolutely 100% agree with erring on the side of caution with Sevy. That said if he's feeling and looking as strong as has been reported I'd like to see him up my the end of June.

My reasoning for that is he is going to have alot of rust, or one would assume so after missing all this time. Start him off by starting 2-3 innings at first and let him work up. Starting him by the end of June/ early July that would give him the better part of 3 months to build up, knock the rust off and be ready to backup Cole in the playoffs.

With all the starters we have, plus all the ones we have that are close and coming, I'm really not worried about how many innings we get from Sevy. The most important part is he is as ready as he can be for the playoffs.

If we get to the playoffs, thats what matters most and thats going to be when we need Sevy at his best[/

Are you saying using him as an opener? Because that might not only work as far as building his arm strength up, it might also work to our advantage where we donít have to make a decision on who to pull from the rotation, cause we could just follow him up with (for example Monty?) so maybe we kill two birds with one stone?
    Although Iím not a fan of the opener, but letís let Blake handle it not Boone
    Just use him as a starter period

[QUOTE=dayners81;33935935]Can u imagine if we got the Klubot we've seen the last couple outings and Sevy at close to his best.

Those 3 at anywhere close to their best, would be as good of 1-2-3 in the playoffs as their is. I would say on par with the Dodgers and Padres.

even when sevy was healthy he was very suspect in the playoffs in fact more bad then good.,.

[QUOTE=johnny ny;33936038]
    Can u imagine if we got the Klubot we've seen the last couple outings and Sevy at close to his best.

Those 3 at anywhere close to their best, would be as good of 1-2-3 in the playoffs as their is. I would say on par with the Dodgers and Padres.

even when sevy was healthy he was very suspect in the playoffs in fact more bad then good.,.
    He has been inconsistent in the playoffs that is true

stanton is in one of those hot streaks 4 hits tonight

Stanton is looking so good its great, thats a 4 hit game for him. Thats 4, 3+ hits games out of the last 5. Whatever has changed since they've moved him to batting 2nd he's been so good. He's staying back and making extremely hard contact and is going up the middle/ other way with most of his non HR balls . He actually is really making excellent ABs

By far the best Stanton has looked since joining the Yankees the last two weeks. Great win tonight, fans made a lot of noise it was awesome. German did okay, pitched better than his line, just gotta keep the ball in the park. Bullpen continues its greatness, and Chappy is fresh still didnít use him. Hoping Odor is okay, his personality means a lot to this team.

I absolutely 100% agree with erring on the side of caution with Sevy. That said if he's feeling and looking as strong as has been reported I'd like to see him up my the end of June.

With all the starters we have, plus all the ones we have that are close and coming, I'm really not worried about how many innings we get from Sevy during the regular season. If we need someone to get innings we still have Garcia, King and eventually Schmidt. The most important part is Sevy is as ready as he can be for the playoffs.

If we get to the playoffs, thats what matters most and thats going to be when we need Sevy at his very best

They have brought Sevy back like that from injury before in 19, let him go a couple innings to build up and increase by 5-10 pitches each time out. He gets used to starting again, lets him shake off the rust and build up for the playoffs.

Another possibility when Sevy gets back is they go to a 6man rotation. That would be another way to help limit starters innings in an effort to keep innings down.

I absolutely agree they need to be careful bring him along but not so careful that he hasn't has enough innings to shake off the rust. IMO, the best way to do that is get him facing MLB lineups when he's ready but limit the innings to keep the arm fresh...

We'll see, he could be back to that Sevy from 17-18 when he was one of the better pitchers in baseball or he could struggle knocking the rust off. Either way i think he will be an incredible weapon for us either as a starter or possibly a multi innings reliever.

If we acquire a starter or it looks like 4 other starters are better heading into the playoffs, he could be nasty out of the pen. Sevy, Britton, Chapman, Loaisiga, maybe Gil/ Medina/ Vizciano by the playoffs.....good luck

As far as Sevy being bad in the playoffs, yes he struggled in 17 and 18 as a 22-23 yr old. He pitched 2 playoff games in 19 and only had a 2.16 ERA so thats a pretty drastic improvement over 17-18. Another thing, how many 22-23 yr olds are asked to be a WS contenders Ace? I think being so young and being counted on to be our Ace might have played a factor in that poor performance so early in his career.

Sevy's just 27, the same age Cole was before he went to Houston. Cole had never had someone like Verlander who was used to being the Ace/stopper and it took alot of pressure off Cole. Verlanders tutelage of Cole is part of what made him such a great pitcher now.

If Cole, who enjoys being a mentor, can do for Sevy what Verlander did for him, we'll be extremely happy. Sevy doesn't have to worry about being the ace, he just has to go out there, loosen up and get outs. I thought one of the biggest benefits of signing Cole would be his mentorship of Sevy and other young pitchers.

Sevy also has another huge opportunity to learn for Kluber also. Kluber maybe a completely different kind of pitcher but he certainly has a ton of experience and knowledge he could pass on. These young Yanks pitchers really have a chance to learn and grow alot this yr, its not very often you have 2 pitchers with the kinda experience like Cole and Kluber to learn from

He's just to talented for him to keep not hitting for power... He came damn close to hitting 40hrs a 2 seasons ago and they weren't all cheap shots either. The kid had legit plus, plus power. Yeah the ball has changed but not enough to explain the complete power outage we've seen from him the last season plus.

Maybe he's hiding or trying to play through an injury?? then again he showed his typical power in ST, so who knows. I think there is a very good possibility that after he got of to such an horrible start defensively, when pretty much everyone was calling to get rid of him and such a slow start offensively, it could be in his head now.

He's to good and has to much natural power for this to keep up. IMO, i could see him going on a tear after he gets his 1st HR. I'll be surprised and extremeely happy if he hits 30+ again this yr. Realistically, if he keeps playing well defensively like he has been, shockingly he's in the top 5 in alot of metrics, hits .265/ 20-25hrs/ 75+ RBI's I won't complain, alot.

I still think his best position is 2nd base like Cashman said, if he continue's this power outage all yr, i think you have to move him back in an attempt to save him. He was one of the better players in baseball after the 19 season and he's just not the same guy at the plate.

I'm not sure what the answer is with Torres. I do think they make a huge run at Seager this winter because he makes to much sense to not make a run at. He would be the perfect LHed bat to break up Stanton and Judge like they seem to insist on or just be a great LH bat to help balance out the lineup. Maybe they go after Story, who knows.

All i know is he is just to talented and proved to much for this to last forever. I just hope they do something sooner than later so he doesn't turn into Sanchez 2.0

Torres' defense has been awesome. Im inclined to believe his start was just a fluke. A short sample size anomaly. It feels good to have been right about that.

Offensively I am optimistic we will see improvement. The concerning part though is that he wasn't good in 2020 offensively either. Pitchers are adjusting to him and now he needs to adjust. He has been much better the last 5-6 games though, hitting over .300. Let's hope he is turning the corner. This is what we saw from Lemahiue just before he got back to his hitting ways this year.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I am really happy that Torres seems to have kicked into high gear. I feel like both him and Clint are going to wake up bi time. They both look tentative and defensive right now
    My only concern with Torres is his hip. He had a few injuries to it in the past. I hope there's not something small and aggravating going on that is preventing him from gettin his Lowe half more into his swing.

Ignorance is bliss

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast