Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Scott

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    The only funny thing here is your idea that the n-word directed at black people is only "very likely" racist.

Goes well with your other real stellar material like the election being rigged, you intentionally trying to get Covid, etc.
    Last edited by metswon69; 05-08-2021 at 01:45 AM.

Don't forget about Italians being people of color!

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The only funny thing here is your idea that the n-word directed at black people is only "very likely" racist.

Goes well with your other real stellar material like the election being rigged, you intentionally trying to get Covid, etc.
    How about when other blacks use the word? Are they racist?

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    How about when other blacks use the word? Are they racist?
    Depends on the context in which they use it. Can black people be racist against their own? Sure but most of the time it doesn't have that connotation. Again I dont think its white peoples place to determine how black people use the word or any variation thereof.

Can black people be racist against their own?
    Anyone cam be racist against their own (tho I wouldnt base that on the use of a word).

And everyone is susceptible to overt racism/bigotry. Every race is susceptible to it, not just white people. Even if people are aware of it, they can still be affected by it.

That's how media works.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nastynice; 05-08-2021 at 03:05 AM.

The resident media expert has spoken!

Don't forget about the timeless classic of losing his **** because his son saw a dude kiss another dude and he was scared his son was gonna catch a case of gay

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Anyone cam be racist against their own (tho I wouldnt base that on the use of a word).

And everyone is susceptible to overt racism/bigotry. Every race is susceptible to it, not just white people. Even if people are aware of it, they can still be affected by it.

That's how media works.

Sure. I was just answering a question. All I am saying is language usually has a symbiotic relationship with intent and action. That word can be a microcosm of something far more heinous but it doesn't change the derogatory nature of its use.

And yes no one is immune to racism but I am not putting all racism on an equal scale. Honky doesn't have the same history, bloodshed, etc that ****** does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Don't forget about the timeless classic of losing his **** because his son saw a dude kiss another dude and he was scared his son was gonna catch a case of gay

Sure. I was just answering a question. All I am saying is language usually has a symbiotic relationship with intent and action. That word can be a microcosm of something far more heinous but it doesn't change the derogatory nature of its use.

And yes no one is immune to racism but I am not putting all racism on an equal scale. Honky doesn't have the same history, bloodshed, etc that ****** does.
    I got you, I didnt necessarily mean it in the context you mentioned, just adding my 2 cents on that quote in general.

No I mean the n-word that ends in the hard R. Not the one that black people have used as a term of endearment. I don't agree with that one either because I would rather it be out of our vernacular (period) but I understand its adaptation and considering I'm not part of the race its intended for, I dont think my opinion matters on the subject.

I'm not for outlawing words. I just dont think Carlin was doing the n-word justice. Its a lot different than honky or cracker. Comes with a lot more violence, vitriol, oppression, etc. Whether that was part of the routine or he genuinely believed it was okay to use is difficult to tell. Great comedians usually blur the line between reality and what is part of the act.
    Ahh, the capital R threw me.

I think commentary, even if it makes some people uncomfortable, is useful for helping people learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egAMgNY84do

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Thereís a difference between making a word taboo vs making it illegal.
    I didn't say "illegal", when I said "outlawed" I meant societally not by legislation. Sorry for the confusion.

If Danny Brown called me the n-word I'd be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

That's how media works.
    It's not just the media here, it's family/community more than media.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If Danny Brown called me the n-word I'd be proud.
    Iíve been called the N-word many times on the basketball court.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast