Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 563

Thread: Tim Scott

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,450
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The racism in this country existed long before we had the diversity though, our racism isn’t a result of the diversity since it preceded it. I think a big problem is, we as a country haven’t ever wanted to address the racism in our society, instead we try our best to ignore it.
    I don't think we've ignored it at all, we have been talking and taking actions on racism in the US for a long time. The problem has been that they are largely ineffective in forcing racists to stop being racist. It turns out that it's essentially impossible to make a racist not be racist anymore. Education to change a society is a slow process.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    14,673
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    I'm a person of color. I highly doubt you traveled to any country that resembles America in diversity (because it wouldn't exist) so how you are treated isn't a replication of how someone else of color would be treated. Send a black man to Norway and tell me he wouldn't experience racism at a higher rate. My fiance is Chinese and blacks are treated very poorly in many areas of China that would be illegal in America but is very common over there. Insert 30 million Asians into any European country and then tell me there wouldn't be racial tensions.
    Name a country that had a large slaves populations within its boundaries, treated blacks (minorities in general) as second-grade citizens during federal sanction Jim Crow. That is a long history of institutionalized racism. And that is just Blacks. It consumes most of this country's existence. While at the same time crowing about the greatness of America, which to minorities means "the greatness of White America" It was express that way in history books untill after I left high school. I am sixty-six. If you don't think that affects race relations, with racism and animosity, now then I doubt you have been paying attention.

    When I was raising my family, I could give to crap what other families do when deciding what is right for mines. I feel the same way about other countries as well. Being in Amsterdam and Paris, the first time I felt like just an American. Europe is becoming very diverse causing the raise of racist elements in those countries. As diverse as America, don't know, don't care since it doesn't reflect our racial problems.
    Last edited by WES445; 05-06-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

    Will Rogers

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9,249
    Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Name a country that had slaves, treated blacks (minorities in general) as second-grade citizens during federal sanction Jim Crow. That is a long history of institutionalized racism. It consumes most of this country's existence. While at the same time crowing about the greatness of America, which to minorities means "the greatness of White America" It was express that way in history books to after I left high school. I am sixty-six. If you don't think that affects race relations, with racism and animosity, now then I doubt you have been paying attention.

    When I was raising my family, I could give to crap what other families do when deciding what is right for mines. I feel the same way about other countries as well. Being in Amsterdam and Paris, the first time I felt like just an American.
    As for this last point, didn’t Malcolm X have a similar kind of experience when he went to Mecca?

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    14,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    As for this last point, didn’t Malcolm X have a similar kind of experience when he went to Mecca?
    Made him look at his own racism and try to correct it. Sometimes you have to leave home to truly understand your upbringing better.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

    Will Rogers

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,786
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    Of course I can make that determination. No other country is as diverse as America, period. It shouldn't take a genius to realize that mixing up a multitude of races, religions, and any other cultural demographic would create more hostility. The fact that America is this diverse speaks of how inclusive it is. I love the fact that every time I leave my house, there is a whole mixture of people out there. That's not what a racist country provides.
    Ba da boom, Ba da bing.

    Spot on.

    The size of the US and the amount of diversity within it makes it virtually impossible to compare our society with other nations.

    I always get a kick out of it when posters here are oh so quick to compare the US with the Scandinavian countries and how their social programs, taxation, education etc compare with that of the US. We have several metro areas with larger pops than these countries and those countries are populated by like minded people……Norway is loaded with Norwegians etc. You cannot compare other countries with US.

    And as far as racism in the US vs other places………

    Do you know of any black owned business in the US???
    Chinese???
    Japanese???
    Muslim???
    Hispanic???
    Korean???

    I own a business. How do you think I would do if I moved it to Nigeria, China, Japan, Iraq, Mexico, Korea (even if I was fluent in the languages.) And even if I was fluent in the language……how well do you think I would do in predominantly white countries if I move there from the US???

    To sit there and keep harping on racism in the US is a bunch of crap. Little more than an excuse for failure. Our society is more fair and accepting of any on the planet. And the opportunities are endless and everywhere…far more than anywhere else.

    Make and effort to fit in and you will do just fine,

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    40,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't think we've ignored it at all, we have been talking and taking actions on racism in the US for a long time. The problem has been that they are largely ineffective in forcing racists to stop being racist. It turns out that it's essentially impossible to make a racist not be racist anymore. Education to change a society is a slow process.
    Well all the racists from Jim Crow are dead, so either they keep passing on their racism or we have to admit society itself perpetuates the racist beliefs. We don't ever want to admit that though, to the point where we are actually trying to erase slavery from our history rather than confront that it happened and it's still affecting us today.

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    4,557
    It's less racist now than ever. I firmly believe that. 20 years from today, it will be even less racist. Will you ever stop the few instances of racism? No, and people are allowed to be racist as long as they aren't disobeying the law and infringing on your rights. The fact is, there is no better inclusive country than America. You walk outside and you see every race out there. The rest of the countries are mostly homogeneous societies that are way behind the curve in diversity.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,450
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Well all the racists from Jim Crow are dead, so either they keep passing on their racism or we have to admit society itself perpetuates the racist beliefs. We don't ever want to admit that though, to the point where we are actually trying to erase slavery from our history rather than confront that it happened and it's still affecting us today.
    Yeah people are still learning racism. But we certainly have not been ignoring it as a society.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    40,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Yeah people are still learning racism. But we certainly have not been ignoring it as a society.
    I think we've ignored a lot of it. We put band-aids on our system and then complain when people still talk about systemic bias.

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    4,557
    It's difficult to convince someone that America isn't that racist when they've invested so much into believing it is. I don't know what angle you are coming from but no colored person I know walks out their home thinking something racist is going to happen to them today.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,621
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    It's difficult to convince someone that America isn't that racist when they've invested so much into believing it is. I don't know what angle you are coming from but no colored person I know walks out their home thinking something racist is going to happen to them today.
    You: America isn’t racist.
    Also you: colored person.

  12. #252
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58,963
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    You: America isn’t racist.
    Also you: colored person.
    Seriously.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    4,557
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    You: America isn’t racist.
    Also you: colored person.
    Right, because I don't consider myself a victim and take charge with my life. I don't need you to tell me something is racist. Keep living your life that way. You'll just keep finding excuses every step of the way.

    You: White guy telling a colored person that America is racist.

    Gee, thanks, but no thanks. I'm doing well for myself and don't need you to tell me how I should view the world.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38,626
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    Right, because I don't consider myself a victim and take charge with my life. I don't need you to tell me something is racist. Keep living your life that way. You'll just keep finding excuses every step of the way.

    You: White guy telling a colored person that America is racist.

    Gee, thanks, but no thanks. I'm doing well for myself and don't need you to tell me how I should view the world.
    Hes pointing out your use of the word colored..

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,450
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    You: America isn’t racist.
    Also you: colored person.
    Yeah, that was a strange one. Also how does one know what other people think or don't think?

Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •