Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Scott

I live in NYC.. everyone says the n word ending in a. I grew up in public schooling. every race used the word. it seems to me the people who don't know the difference either grew up in rural or suburban areas or simply never had any black friends. I still use the word today and not a single black person gives a F although I would say it is geographically dependent. Me saying that word in some areas South may generate a different reaction

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    You whitewash constantly. Its how you justify all these "whataboutisms" you've become so classically known for. You attempt to make comparisons of things that are in no way of equal value or at the very least are completely devoid of context. It's not just on this subject either.

Again, the use of word is dependent on context. There's a difference between the n-word that ends in "a" and the one that ends in "er". That's not your determination to make either. Are you black? Does it remotely pertain to you? If the answer to both of those questions are no then keep moving.

so by your logic, if white people were more so using the N word ending in A, it''s fine and acceptable?

if it's not my determination, thank you for confirming that there is such a thing as black privilege.

\_(ツ)_/

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    so by your logic, if white people were more so using the N word ending in A, it''s fine and acceptable?

if it's not my determination, thank you for confirming that there is such a thing as black privilege.
    Where did you get that from my post lol? When I asked the question "Are you black", it should be common sense that I am referring to black people and how they determine they want to use it.

That's not black privilege lol and your confluence to compare it white privilege is mind numbingly ignorant. More of that void you live in where context is absent of everything that comes across your keyboard.

Where did you get that from my post lol? When I asked the question "Are you black", it should be common sense that I am referring to black people and how they determine they want to use it.

That's not black privilege lol and your confluence to compare it white privilege is mind numbingly ignorant. More of that void you live in where context is absent of everything that comes across your keyboard.
    It's no longer up to black people when culturally, it's been acceptable due to the fact that they have been using it non-racially for decades. It's a cultural change with how the word is being used. You can't claim people are racist for using a word that they were exposed to by blacks in culture, music, art, etc., If blacks never used the word casually, it would never be the word it is today now. If I'm in my car bumping some hip hop, half the songs have the n word ending in a. That shouldn't have been the case if the true goal is to not use racist words. It's like if white people decided to just call people cracker. Over time, it'll just be a word that moved away from it's racist roots. Once again, growing up in urban cities my entire life, I've said and used the n word ending in a commonly. Blacks never took it personal and they were calling me it as a substitute for buddy, dude, etc.,

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    It's no longer up to black people when culturally, it's been acceptable due to the fact that they have been using it non-racially for decades. It's a cultural change with how the word is being used. You can't claim people are racist for using a word that they were exposed to by blacks in culture, music, art, etc., If blacks never used the word casually, it would never be the word it is today now. If I'm in my car bumping some hip hop, half the songs have the n word ending in a. That shouldn't have been the case if the true goal is to not use racist words. It's like if white people decided to just call people cracker. Over time, it'll just be a word that moved away from it's racist roots.
    Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't see black people as a whole embracing the idea of other races commandeering the word. Yes, its become more popularized and the different pronunciations have different connotations but that doesn't erase the racist history of the word.

You're not going to blur the line entirely. If that ever happens, its going to take a long time.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't see black people as a whole embracing the idea of other races commandeering the word. Yes, its become more popularized and the different pronunciations have different connotations but that doesn't erase the racist history of the word.

You're not going to blur the line entirely. If that ever happens, its going to take a long time.
    Then they, as a race, shouldn't have used the word and popularized it socially for others to use. These hip hop songs are very popular in music today and the n word ending in a is used in many of these songs. Did these rappers write these songs with the expectation that they were only to be listened by other blacks? It's a ridiculous stance. Maybe not black people as a whole but when you hear the word everyday about 10-15 times, it's clearly not racially targeted. Sure, some might use that word racially but that's for every circumstance in life. You always have those who either take it too personally or are pure racists.

Then they, as a race, shouldn't have used the word and popularized it socially for others to use. These hip hop songs are very popular in music today and the n word ending in a is used in many of these songs. Did these rappers write these songs with the expectation that they were only to be listened by other blacks? It's a ridiculous stance. Maybe not black people as a whole but when you hear the word everyday about 10-15 times, it's clearly not racially targeted. Sure, some might use that word racially but that's for every circumstance in life. You always have those who either take it too personally or are pure racists.
    I don't think they made it with the intention of mainstreaming the word. Even if they did, there's a difference between the "er" version than the one that ends in "a" and at the very least people should be aware of that. Neither should it be an excuse to use the more innocuous version just because you hear it in popular culture. Whatever the case is, if the latter becomes widely acceptable maybe the meaning of the word will hold to a different context but you also live in a world that's a lot more political than it has been in decades. Not to mention, more politically correct and a lot more aware of race related issues.. I don't see the balance shifting like you think it will.
    Last edited by metswon69; 05-10-2021 at 03:02 PM.

I don't think they made it with the intention of mainstreaming the word. Even if they did, there's a difference between the "er" version than the one that ends in "a" and at the very least people should be aware of that. Neither should it be an excuse to use the more innocuous version just because you hear it in popular culture. Whatever the case is, if the latter becomes widely acceptable maybe the meaning of the word will hold to a different context but you also live in a world that's a lot more political than it has been in decades. Not to mention, more politically correct and a lot more aware of race related issues.. I don't see the balance shifting like you think it will.
    You can't listen to a hip hop song today without the n word being mentioned at least once. Drake's latest album says the n word at least 100's of times. You can't possibly tell me that Drake didn't know other races would listen to his songs and not somehow perceive the n word ending in a to be much different than the tone it had just decades before. Yes, the n word ending in er and a are entirely different. er is specifically racist. Anyone who says it should be treated as a racist. But if someone who isn't black says the n word ending in a, I wouldn't automatically assume they are a racist precisely because the word is too popularized. Again, if it were truly racist, black music creators should find a way to remove that word from their songs because that is how people are learning to casually use it.

We're really going down the "if they can say it, why can't I" route again?

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post

Almost everything carries some sort of privilege, but that doesn't mean they are privileged overall. The handicapped get the privilege of boarding flights first, do you think it's better to have legs or not in our society?

The homeless have the privilege of having people just give them money on the side of the road, and if I tried to ask for money, nobody would give it to me. Do you think it's better to have a job and home or be homeless?

I honestly can't imagine how out of touch with reality you need to be to go into a conversation of racism and think that black people getting to use the n-word is somehow the most important issue.

It'd be like talking about 9/11 and saying the most important issue was how it was wrong you had to miss your flight to vacation because they cancelled all the flights that day.

It's so out of touch it borders on the disingenuous, stupid, or worse, intentionally bigoted.

You can't listen to a hip hop song today without the n word being mentioned at least once. Drake's latest album says the n word at least 100's of times. You can't possibly tell me that Drake didn't know other races would listen to his songs and not somehow perceive the n word ending in a to be much different than the tone it had just decades before. Yes, the n word ending in er and a are entirely different. er is specifically racist. Anyone who says it should be treated as a racist. But if someone who isn't black says the n word ending in a, I wouldn't automatically assume they are a racist precisely because the word is too popularized. Again, if it were truly racist, black music creators should find a way to remove that word from their songs because that is how people are learning to casually use it.
    Of course but that doesn't mean it should become common vernacular for anyone to use. I wouldn't assume that person is racist either but I still don't see a circumstance where people are breaking down the pronunciations to determine whether its of acceptable use or not. Nor do I see it still being widely accepted by black people that other races use any connotation of the word, especially the "er" version. You can pretend otherwise but if that happens, it wont be in our lifetime in all likelihood and not given the current socio-political climate.

Blacks have been using the N-word since slavery, which is reflected in the music. With that said, I doubt any black music creators or blacks, in general, could give two crap if a few whites are upset that we use it among ourselves or our music that rich record moguls put out for public consumption. No more than a group of women using the C-word among themselves would care what you think of their use of the word.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Could be a generational thing, they use to complain about how Elvis moved his hips on tv. As in the old generation.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Then they, as a race, shouldn't have used the word and popularized it socially for others to use. .
    Your comments are starting to get cringeworthy..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast