Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 563

Thread: Tim Scott

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,540
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Coming from the guy who thinks there is room for negotiation in using the n-word being racist, this is rich.
    The n-word should be usable in reference but should not be usable aggressively, but that's not likely to be entirely socially accepted any time in our lifetimes. Much like saying the c-word will find some condemnation in most rooms with more than a couple people in it. But George Carlin saying it in reference and not as an aggressive attack should be accepted. Shouldn't people in general be allowed to read Dick Gregory's auto-biography in public places? (link I expect will fail below)

    Dick Gregory Autobiography

    I'm fundamentally against outlawing words, which is not the same as supporting their hateful use.

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    That's all it takes to get that certificate? That seems a pretty low bar.
    It’s an intro course. We are just trying to reinforce the basics with it.

    We will be ready to tackle more difficult concepts like “no the 1619 Project isn’t a conspiracy to make white people hate themselves” in the 400 level courses.

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The n-word should be usable in reference but should not be usable aggressively, but that's not likely to be entirely socially accepted any time in our lifetimes. Much like saying the c-word will find some condemnation in most rooms with more than a couple people in it. But George Carlin saying it in reference and not as an aggressive attack should be accepted. Shouldn't people in general be allowed to read Dick Gregory's auto-biography in public places? (link I expect will fail below)

    Dick Gregory Autobiography

    I'm fundamentally against outlawing words, which is not the same as supporting their hateful use.
    Right!

    And you should be able to say "supper" too without being laughed at.

    Come on now!!!

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4,094
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    It’s an intro course. We are just trying to reinforce the basics with it.

    We will be ready to tackle more difficult concepts like “no the 1619 Project isn’t a conspiracy to make white people hate themselves” in the 400 level courses.
    It's not a conspiracy to do anything crazy, it's just an extremely flawed account of history, which starts with an incorrect premise that the revolutionary war was fought by the colonists for the purpose of upholding slavery.

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    14,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Yeah, that was a strange one. Also how does one know what other people think or don't think?
    our friend has many abilities it seems including knowing what other people think or don't think. When he reaches omniscient do you think he will expect us to bow and make burnt offerings up to him? Wait, he knows the answer to that one.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

    Will Rogers

  6. #276
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    40,702
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    It's not a conspiracy to do anything crazy, it's just an extremely flawed account of history, which starts with an incorrect premise that the revolutionary war was fought by the colonists for the purpose of upholding slavery.
    Does it actually plan to teach that? If so, that is wrong. Though, currently many places are teaching the incorrect premise that the civil war wasn't fought by the south for the purpose of upholding slavery.

    Perhaps we should meet in the middle.

  7. #277
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    40,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The n-word should be usable in reference but should not be usable aggressively, but that's not likely to be entirely socially accepted any time in our lifetimes. Much like saying the c-word will find some condemnation in most rooms with more than a couple people in it. But George Carlin saying it in reference and not as an aggressive attack should be accepted. Shouldn't people in general be allowed to read Dick Gregory's auto-biography in public places? (link I expect will fail below)

    Dick Gregory Autobiography

    I'm fundamentally against outlawing words, which is not the same as supporting their hateful use.
    It should never be directed at black people from other races at all imo and if it is, there should be no denying its racist nature. The hard R has no other context then to denigrate. I wasn't talking about it in the historical context. I get there are lessons to be learned from its use and we shouldn't eliminate said context that got us to this point.

    Few people are as big of a Carlin fan as I am. Saw him 3 times, have all the albums but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says. In that bit he was talking about euphemisms because George hated nothing but brutal honesty. That said, he used the n-word in the same conversation of calling himself a honky. Yeah, that's great that he could be self deprecating but he should understand those words are not equal in all the thousands of years of actions that precede them (and to this day for that matter). Its disingenuous.
    Last edited by metswon69; 05-07-2021 at 06:17 PM.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    14,742
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    It's not a conspiracy to do anything crazy, it's just an extremely flawed account of history, which starts with an incorrect premise that the revolutionary war was fought by the colonists for the purpose of upholding slavery.
    I haven't heard that one, but would be against it. taxation without representation if I am not mistaken.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

    Will Rogers

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,752
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    It's not a conspiracy to do anything crazy, it's just an extremely flawed account of history, which starts with an incorrect premise that the revolutionary war was fought by the colonists for the purpose of upholding slavery.
    I don't know. It does seem that the Somerset decision had some impact on how our country acted and reacted.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38,626
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    we can't have an actual conversation about the n Word, some want to think it's fine.

    I hate the N word, don't think anyone should use. now tell me how that's a racist approach.
    Some people complain about blacks using it amongst themselves. White people who complain about the fact that's its acceptable for blacks to use it and not for whites, you're more than likely dealing with a racist.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  11. #281
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,540
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It should never be directed at black people from other races at all imo and if it is, there should be no denying its racist nature. The hard R has no other context then to denigrate. I wasn't talking about it in the historical context. I get there are lessons to be learned from its use and we shouldn't eliminate said context that got us to this point.

    Few people are as big of a Carlin fan as I am. Saw him 3 times, have all the albums but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says. In that bit he was talking about euphemisms because George hated nothing but brutal honesty. That said, he used the n-word in the same conversation of calling himself a honky. Yeah, that's great that he could be self deprecating but he should understand those words are not equal in all the thousands of years of actions that precede them (and to this day for that matter). Its disingenuous.
    I agree that the n-word should not be directed AT black people from other races, but it should be usable in discussion, in reference.

    What is "the hard R"? If you mean "******", it absolutely has useful context. The timing on car engines are advanced and ********. (jeez, I guess it's filtered here. ... it literally means to hold back or slow down)

    Sure Carlin said some way out there stuff, but do you want to tell him what he can and can't say? That's the point ... what do we as society gain by flat outlawing words?
    Last edited by Scoots; 05-07-2021 at 11:17 PM.

  12. #282
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    40,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I agree that the n-word should not be directed AT black people from other races, but it should be usable in discussion, in reference.

    What is "the hard R"? If you mean "******", it absolutely has useful context. The timing on car engines are advanced and ********. (jeez, I guess it's filtered here. ... it literally means to hold back or slow down)

    Sure Carlin said some way out there stuff, but do you want to tell him what he can and can't say? That's the point ... what do we as society gain by flat outlawing words?
    No I mean the n-word that ends in the hard R. Not the one that black people have used as a term of endearment. I don't agree with that one either because I would rather it be out of our vernacular (period) but I understand its adaptation and considering I'm not part of the race its intended for, I dont think my opinion matters on the subject.

    I'm not for outlawing words. I just dont think Carlin was doing the n-word justice. Its a lot different than honky or cracker. Comes with a lot more violence, vitriol, oppression, etc. Whether that was part of the routine or he genuinely believed it was okay to use is difficult to tell. Great comedians usually blur the line between reality and what is part of the act.

  13. #283
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    40,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I agree that the n-word should not be directed AT black people from other races, but it should be usable in discussion, in reference.

    What is "the hard R"? If you mean "******", it absolutely has useful context. The timing on car engines are advanced and ********. (jeez, I guess it's filtered here. ... it literally means to hold back or slow down)

    Sure Carlin said some way out there stuff, but do you want to tell him what he can and can't say? That's the point ... what do we as society gain by flat outlawing words?
    There’s a difference between making a word taboo vs making it illegal.

  14. #284
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hell on Earth- Missouri
    Posts
    16,341
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    No I mean the n-word that ends in the hard R. Not the one that black people have used as a term of endearment. I don't agree with that one either because I would rather it be out of our vernacular (period) but I understand its adaptation and considering I'm not part of the race its intended for, I dont think my opinion matters on the subject.

    I'm not for outlawing words. I just dont think Carlin was doing the n-word justice. Its a lot different than honky or cracker. Comes with a lot more violence, vitriol, oppression, etc. Whether that was part of the routine or he genuinely believed it was okay to use is difficult to tell. Great comedians usually blur the line between reality and what is part of the act.

  15. #285
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,752
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    There’s a difference between making a word taboo vs making it illegal.
    This is why the conservative argument about bringing the first amendment into it is just laughable. Nobody is proposing a law to make the n-word illegal. Just shunning them from society on a private basis.

Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •