Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 92
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    65,069

    Grade your draft.

    As the title says grade it! Either pick by pick or as a class.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    92,136
    Overall?

    B-

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,752
    Everybody is an all pro so....
    A plus.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4,184
    F-

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,993
    I'll go pick by pick for the Pats...

    Round 1, No. 15 overall: Mac Jones, QB, Alabama - It's always tough to evaluate a QB pick. It's kind of a pass-fail position where he's either good enough to win with as a starter in which case it's pretty much always a great pick, or he's not good enough and then it's a huge failure of a pick. We certainly don't have a long term QB option on the roster and Cam is extremely uninspiring as a current option. That puts you in a spot where if there's a guy on the board you think can be an effective starter you really have to take him. So first you have to grade on whether Mac can be good. Then you have to consider if they missed on a guy taken later who will be better. Then finally, since the QB position is such a big picture decision you have to grade on if they should have made a move up for Fields too. Personally, I am a Justin Fields guy. So I think time will reveal that NE should have matched CHI's offer to the Giants by offering #15, #177, 2022 1st and 2022 4th. That presumably beats CHI offer of #20, #164, 2022 1st and 2022 4th, but maybe up it to a 20223rd instead of 4th. Whatever. Point is I think a deal could have been made to get a better QB and I think Fields will prove that. However, I do think Mac will be a good enough starter to win with though not necessarily win because of. IDK what "grade" I translate that to... missing on Fields would be an "F" but in a vacuum if Mac is a good starter that's an "A". So split the difference I'll give it a C grade.

    Round 2, No. 38 overall: Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama - This position is a little more straightforward to grade, but there is a trade to consider. We gave up #122 and #139 to move up from #46 for him. When we got on the board to those picks, I didn't find myself really missing them and I'm not sure how many roster spots we have solidly up for grabs. So I think the trade worked out from that standpoint. On Barmore, he's a clear fit in the interior pass rushing role left from Adam Butler's departure. We added good players on the DL but didn't replace that specific skill set of inside pass rush. Barmore was a situational player for Alabama and I think he can solidly do that in the NFL. He's definitely more of a 1 gap, up the field penetrator but the traits are there to play BB's 2 gap schemes. Upside is there for this to be a home run pick but the foundation is there for him to be a contributor at least in a rotational role (and pass rushing is a pretty premium part of any d-line rotation). The other aspect to consider if this was the right guy to move up for. We have short and/or long term needs at OT (Tevin Jenkins, Liam Eichenberg, Walker Little) FS (Richie Grant, Trevon Moehrig) and WR (Rondale Moore) that could have been filled with other picks here. If Barmore doesn't tap into the upside for a full time role, even if he's still a good contributor, we might look back and wish we took one of those guys. Barmore does grade higher than all of them on most boards though so it's not like we reached. I'll give it a B+ grade.

    Round 3, No. 96 overall: Ronnie Perkins, DE, Oklahoma - This was an interesting one because EDGE is probably the most well stocked position on our depth chart with Matt Judon, Kyle Van Noy, Josh Uche and Winovich (Deatrich Wise also factors in here though he's an inside rusher as well). Uche and Van Noy can play ILB, but still... this isn't a need at all. Perkins apparently graded higher than this on many boards though and seems to play with a tenacity that fits what BB likes. He's a guy who will need to work on setting the edge vs the run to play full time but shows promise as a sub rusher. And again, the willingness to play tough is there. In a weird way, a position at such a low need spot encourages me that they just really like him which makes me feel better about the player. So I will give it a B grade.

    Round 4, No. 120 overall: Rhamondre Stevenson, RB, Oklahoma - This was another interesting pick for me.I've been clamoring for a RB who can run power concepts but also give you SOMETHING in the passing game. Stevenson has drawn great reviews on his pass blocking and he displayed competence as a receiver. I'm not asking for a ton, just give me something there. And then at 6', 230 lbs he's a load of a runner too but at the same time he has great short area quickness in agility drills. I definitely love the archetype here as a LeGarrette Blount style runner who give you a lil' something in the passing game too. I'm not going to pretend I had this guy on my radar or anything but I've really grown to like his skill set and projection into his role here. I'll go with a probably optimistic B+ grade.

    Round 5, No. 177 overall: Cameron McGrone, LB, Michigan - I really love this pick. I think McGrone is a great scheme fit for us. Michigan uses multiple fronts and he was the MIKE for that. That translates well to the mentally demanding scheme BB runs, especially at the ILB spot. Athletically, McGrone fits the bill of being able to rush inside, stop the run and handle low leverage coverage assignments. The downside though is that he's coming off a torn ACL and probably misses his rookie year. But hey, it's the 5th round. Most of these guys will flame out. I love the move of going for the upside here despite the injury risk so I will go with a generous A- grade.

    Round 6, No. 188 overall: Joshuah Bledsoe, S, Missouri - I can definitely see a scheme fit here. He's a guy who has played as a box safety and slot defender which is a hybrid role we've features a ton. He's got special teams potential as well. Definitely some troubling signs with the plays he gave up but the fact he at least played those roles could make him a worthwhile gamely roster player if he emerges as a special team contributor who can at least give you emergency depth. I don't get too excited about 6th rounders that I don't see great offensive or defensive projection though so I will go with a C grade.

    Round 6, No. 197 overall: William Sherman, OL, Colorado - Pats have had some success with guys whose measurable indicate they will need to play inside sticking outside at tackle for us. Sherman could be one of them. He's played LT and RT but also practiced at Center. Many see him as a guard though. I don't know much about him but always good to have OL bodies to develop even if just as depth and versatility always helps. I'll give it a B- grade.

    Round 7, No. 242 overall: Tre Nixon, WR, UCF - It's a 7th round pick so my expectations are extremely low. This guy probably gets cut. But, he does fit schematically. He's a guy who does a good job using his speed to push the defense back then settle into the intermediate space created. He was thought to have some breakout potential after transferring from Ole Miss, but unfortunately broke his collar bone. I've read his game could compare to Damiere Byrd who was solid enough here last year (though obviously in a role too big for him). I see as decent a shot to stick as a #4 type WR as you can hope for here so on the scale of 7th rounders I'll give it a B+ grade.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,836
    Quote Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
    F-

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    11,708
    1 #30 Greg Rousseau - EDGE: 6-7 265
    2 #61 Carlos Basham Jr - EDGE: 6-5 285
    3 #93 Spencer Brown - OL: 6-9 321
    5 #161 Tommy Doyle - OL: 6-8 326
    6 #203 Marquez Stevenson - WR: 6-0 190
    6 #212 Damar Hamlin - S: 6-1 195
    6 #213 Rachad Wildgoose - CB: 5-11 197
    7 #236 Jack Anderson - OL: 6-5 315


    Needed EDGE, mostly, really. OL always a plus. Getting 2 OL at 6-8 and 6-9 is nuts, hope they're both monsters.

    WR/S/CB shouldn't really make the team, if they do, it's a bonus.

    Going with B+/A- range. No "steals" but all good picks.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

    IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    21,123
    B

    Make it B- if we don't sign Max Duffy or James Smith as an UDFA.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    65,069
    RD 1 - RB Najee Harris - B+
    I know draftniks hate this pick, as they really wanted us to take an OL player. Well most the OL left were a reach at this point, with Landon Dickerson being next picked, but there were major injury concerns. On an individual basis Harris is better at his group than Dickerson, Jenkins, or Eichenberg are at their position. Harris is also a "bring your own blocker" type of runner. He's got the ability to be a 3 down back. But at 230, I'd like to see him drop about 10-15 pounds to gain a little footspeed.

    RD 2 - TE Pat Freiermuth- A-
    Yes he's not on the same level as Pitts, but from him to the next TE was a bigger drop. Freiermuth was the engine of the PSU offense, and is a huge red zone target. He's a real throwback type TE who can block and catch. Not saying he is these guys, but he's in the mold of Kittle and Kelce. Even if he's just 75% of what they bring he was a great pick. Again one that the draftniks "hate" because we have Ebron, who doesn't block and is on the last year of his contract.

    RD 3 - C Kendrick Green - B
    I think he's really solid, and a great fit for the movement we ask of centers. He's a good athlete, plays pissed off, and has a great wingspan. He does need to put on some weight though. The big negative is the one thing he can't change: He's only 6'1" tall, almost 6'2". That's rather short for OL.

    RD 4A - OT Dan Moore - B-/C+
    He's not ready to play this year, and is unlikely to get a hat outside of injury. I know our staff thought that OT was deep with developmental talent, so I was kind of hoping for a guy picked later they could try to sneak onto the PS. So for most of the year Moore will be on the active roster and not dress as Okorafor/Banner will start and Haeg will be an extra blocker/swing tackle.

    RD 4B - LB Buddy Johnson - D
    He's exactly like two LB's already on the team in Spillane and Vince Williams, just slightly more athletic. I really don't get it unless they see him being a special teams ace, then at that point he's a waste of a pick this early.

    RD 5 - Traded for from Miami - DE Isaiahh Loudermilk - F
    Coulda gotten him in the 7th or as a UDFA. Tape is really underwhelming. He's got to put on some beef. I guess the best they can think here is that they are going to ask him to be a dirty work DE/DT for us. Although you could say that the Badgers defense did benefit a ton from having him.

    RD 6 - EDGE Quincy Roche - A+
    I thought he was going to be gone in the 3rd, maybe the 2nd. To get a pass rusher of his skill level in the 6th is a huge win. I think he'll sub in here and there in his first year, and maybe gain more PT in his next year here. There's a physical limitation to what he can do.

    RD 7A - DB Tre Norwood - D
    Not hating on the player, but rather leaving the position for this late, and picking a combo guy rather than someone can play both positions OK rather than one of them well.

    RD 7B - P Pressley Harvin III - A++++
    Jordan Berry sucks, and Pressley is "one of us".

    Overall - B-

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    79,392
    It is hard for me to grade the Lions draft given the dearth of talent on the team and that it is year 1 of a long rebuild. They would have to take special teams guys only or the least athletic player available at every pick to fail this draft in my eyes. Given the players we got and the areas of focus I am a fan of what the draft produced. I was really rooting for Chase to fall but getting Sewell was a nice "second" option. The only pick I didn't like was Jemar Jefferson and I can't be bothered to get that upset about a 7th round pick. I wanted a WR earlier but landing Amon-Ra in the 4th was still pretty solid. Maybe too heavy on DT's in a weak DT class but even then the guys we got I was a fan of so I can't be too mad at that. I assume that means Da'Shawn Hand might be on the move or just carry him and run with Brockers/Hand/Onwuzurike/McNeill/Penisini which looks better than the crap we've had at the position lately.

    Force me to choose I'd say my meaningless grade sure to change by the end of the season would be an A-.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,993
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    RD 1 - RB Najee Harris - B+
    I know draftniks hate this pick, as they really wanted us to take an OL player. Well most the OL left were a reach at this point, with Landon Dickerson being next picked, but there were major injury concerns. On an individual basis Harris is better at his group than Dickerson, Jenkins, or Eichenberg are at their position. Harris is also a "bring your own blocker" type of runner. He's got the ability to be a 3 down back. But at 230, I'd like to see him drop about 10-15 pounds to gain a little footspeed.

    RD 2 - TE Pat Freiermuth- A-
    Yes he's not on the same level as Pitts, but from him to the next TE was a bigger drop. Freiermuth was the engine of the PSU offense, and is a huge red zone target. He's a real throwback type TE who can block and catch. Not saying he is these guys, but he's in the mold of Kittle and Kelce. Even if he's just 75% of what they bring he was a great pick. Again one that the draftniks "hate" because we have Ebron, who doesn't block and is on the last year of his contract.

    RD 3 - C Kendrick Green - B
    I think he's really solid, and a great fit for the movement we ask of centers. He's a good athlete, plays pissed off, and has a great wingspan. He does need to put on some weight though. The big negative is the one thing he can't change: He's only 6'1" tall, almost 6'2". That's rather short for OL.

    RD 4A - OT Dan Moore - B-/C+
    He's not ready to play this year, and is unlikely to get a hat outside of injury. I know our staff thought that OT was deep with developmental talent, so I was kind of hoping for a guy picked later they could try to sneak onto the PS. So for most of the year Moore will be on the active roster and not dress as Okorafor/Banner will start and Haeg will be an extra blocker/swing tackle.

    RD 4B - LB Buddy Johnson - D
    He's exactly like two LB's already on the team in Spillane and Vince Williams, just slightly more athletic. I really don't get it unless they see him being a special teams ace, then at that point he's a waste of a pick this early.

    RD 5 - Traded for from Miami - DE Isaiahh Loudermilk - F
    Coulda gotten him in the 7th or as a UDFA. Tape is really underwhelming. He's got to put on some beef. I guess the best they can think here is that they are going to ask him to be a dirty work DE/DT for us. Although you could say that the Badgers defense did benefit a ton from having him.

    RD 6 - EDGE Quincy Roche - A+
    I thought he was going to be gone in the 3rd, maybe the 2nd. To get a pass rusher of his skill level in the 6th is a huge win. I think he'll sub in here and there in his first year, and maybe gain more PT in his next year here. There's a physical limitation to what he can do.

    RD 7A - DB Tre Norwood - D
    Not hating on the player, but rather leaving the position for this late, and picking a combo guy rather than someone can play both positions OK rather than one of them well.

    RD 7B - P Pressley Harvin III - A++++
    Jordan Berry sucks, and Pressley is "one of us".

    Overall - B-
    People have gone too far acting like it's a sin to draft a RB before day 3. I do think to justify a high pick it needs to be a guy who can play in any situation - 3rd down, short yardage, etc. Harris fits that mold.

    I thought it was a great move with the TE in the second round. Ebron is a good receiver but not so great that you should deal with his blocking. A #1 TE that can block capably will help your running game at least a little.

    Not knowledgable enough to comment on the rest. Other than on Buddy Johnson I see that Williams and Spillane are FAs after the year so it could just be a scenario where they're addressing it a year early and getting a chance to "test drive" the player in your system for a year before having to rely on him.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,165
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    It is hard for me to grade the Lions draft given the dearth of talent on the team and that it is year 1 of a long rebuild. They would have to take special teams guys only or the least athletic player available at every pick to fail this draft in my eyes. Given the players we got and the areas of focus I am a fan of what the draft produced. I was really rooting for Chase to fall but getting Sewell was a nice "second" option. The only pick I didn't like was Jemar Jefferson and I can't be bothered to get that upset about a 7th round pick. I wanted a WR earlier but landing Amon-Ra in the 4th was still pretty solid. Maybe too heavy on DT's in a weak DT class but even then the guys we got I was a fan of so I can't be too mad at that. I assume that means Da'Shawn Hand might be on the move or just carry him and run with Brockers/Hand/Onwuzurike/McNeill/Penisini which looks better than the crap we've had at the position lately.

    Force me to choose I'd say my meaningless grade sure to change by the end of the season would be an A-.
    getting one of the highest rated olinemen in recent memory and 2nd best rated player in the class with the 7th pick is huge and can't be rated anything other than an A honestly.

    remember when we took ebron over Donald because we had 3 really good DTs and the next year all 3 were off the roster and have had trash at DT since?

    best player available is always a good choice

    especially when it's on either line because I firmly believe having strong lines is one of the most important things to winning championships

    Elite WRs very very rarely result in championships. I mean get them if you can, but elite OTs are infinitely more important
    Last edited by basch152; 05-01-2021 at 10:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

    When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    11,708
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    People have gone too far acting like it's a sin to draft a RB before day 3. I do think to justify a high pick it needs to be a guy who can play in any situation - 3rd down, short yardage, etc. Harris fits that mold.
    I think it's a lot less of that and a lot more of the Steelers are basically a rebuilding team, and drafting a RB to a team in that situation is a bad idea.

    For the "one last shot with Ben" sign any 2 of Duke Johnson/TJ Yeldon/Dion Lewis/Jerick McKinnon/LeSean McCoy/AP/Frank Gore/Alfred Morris/Bell/Corey Clement.

    Broadly I'm glad some teams messed up with drafting RBs early because many expected the Bills to do that in the 1st round.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

    IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,491
    I give the Cowboys a C. It looks like they tried to hard to fill positions of need instead of taking BPA. Also I think they could have moved up in a couple situations and taken a better player. Overall the guys they drafted fit needs and more specifically fit Quinnís defense but I thought they could have drafted better players.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,524
    Bolton- good value I guess. But not the biggest fan of him. But was at a position of need. Wanted to trade up a few for JOK

    Humphrey- home run. We signed Blythe who is decent. But Humphrey should take that spot in camp

    Kaindoh- was not on my radar at all. I guess a top recruit who showed freakish measurables at his pro day, but didnít produce much at FSU

    Gray- meh. Traded up for him too. Appears to be a decent route runner, but is undersized. Canít be a true tight end

    Powell- I like quite a bit. Butttt i wanted Marshall or Dyami Brown at the end of the second

    Trey Smith- love it. Donít know if blood clots in the lungs come back after 3+ years, but if not he can be a long time starter at guard

    If nothing else we completely turned around our oline

    Brown
    Thuney
    Humphrey/Blythe
    Long/Smith/doctor
    Niang

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •