Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    79,386

    Rd. 4, Pick 113: Derrick Barnes-LB Purdue

    Overview:
    Throwback body type with broad shoulders as well as thickly muscled arms and legs at inside linebacker. Barnes has seen plenty of action as a three-year starter and has the added experience of learning two different positions. He can improve his technique as a take-on linebacker, but he has the strength to handle the physical aspects of the inside linebacker role. There is a toughness in his mindset that works well for him in hand-to-hand combat, but he needs to play faster to flow cleanly to the ball. If he makes it, his role will likely be as an early-down backup with core special teams duties.

    Strengths:
    Three-year starter.
    Has played both inside linebacker and defensive end.
    Quick inside slant when playing with his hand down.
    Bull rush had surprising power to go with natural leverage.
    Handles his interior linebacker work with play strength and tough demeanor.
    Delivers a hearty pop into climbing blockers.
    Power in his shoulder to stack pulling guards in the hole.
    Tackles with good finishing strength.
    Runs through his targets and wraps to finish.
    Was a core special-teamer early on in college.
    Strong pro day effort with good speed, vertical and bench numbers.

    Weaknesses:
    Inconsistent diagnosis of run play development.
    Can be a step slow flowing with the pace of outside zone.
    Gets trapped behind climbing blockers in space.
    Allows lead blockers to get into his play-side shoulder.
    Will need to play off blocks more quickly.
    Plodding feet when changing direction.
    Doesn't play to his best speed on a consistent basis.
    Struggles coming to balance as open-field tackler.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    79,386
    This pick acquired from the Browns for our 5th this year and 4th next year. We got their 4th and 7th this year. So we don't pick again for several hours lol

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    22,140
    Thanks from setting up these threads LFLOL!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    22,140
    I like this pick and I like them moving low assets to get someone they wanted. Seems like another player with a bit of an attitude to him. Really liking the direction they’re going with this. The last time we saw toughness on the roster like this they made the playoffs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    79,386
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Thanks from setting up these threads LFLOL!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I like this pick and I like them moving low assets to get someone they wanted. Seems like another player with a bit of an attitude to him. Really liking the direction they’re going with this. The last time we saw toughness on the roster like this they made the playoffs.
    I'm liking it too. Can't to see them play this year. I know season is a wash but they are going to fight it till the end and give teams fits.

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk



    2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

    Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Thank You for the memories Coach Williams and Good Luck to Coach Davis!
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    I'm liking it too. Can't to see them play this year. I know season is a wash but they are going to fight it till the end and give teams fits.

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Is it really gonna be wash though? We won’t win a super bowl but man... I honestly think we are gonna be better than people think and compete.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Auburn, MI
    Posts
    5,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
    Is it really gonna be wash though? We won’t win a super bowl but man... I honestly think we are gonna be better than people think and compete.
    If Aaron Rogers leaves the division, Chicago with a young QB, GB with a young QB, and a Minnesota Team that seems to be falling apart...it sounds silly but the Lions could win the Division. I mean they could also go 5-12 but I think we will see football for the first time in a long time in Detroit.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,164
    Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    If Aaron Rogers leaves the division, Chicago with a young QB, GB with a young QB, and a Minnesota Team that seems to be falling apart...it sounds silly but the Lions could win the Division. I mean they could also go 5-12 but I think we will see football for the first time in a long time in Detroit.
    why...why on earth do you seem to consider this a good thing?

    being a 5-6 win team that sneaks into the playoffs is a nightmare scenario.

    you're still an awful team in that scenario, but now your first pick is in the 20s instead of top ten
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

    When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA.
    Posts
    32,803
    I cannot say that I know anything about this linebacker, but I trust in their decision. Seems to have a bit of an attitude and plays tough and strong. I like this new look.
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

    click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Auburn, MI
    Posts
    5,920
    Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    why...why on earth do you seem to consider this a good thing?

    being a 5-6 win team that sneaks into the playoffs is a nightmare scenario.

    you're still an awful team in that scenario, but now your first pick is in the 20s instead of top ten
    I don't necessarily think its a good thing...I just see it as a possible thing. If Aaron Rodgers leaves the NFC North then we are looking at a big time change in the division.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    I don't necessarily think its a good thing...I just see it as a possible thing. If Aaron Rodgers leaves the NFC North then we are looking at a big time change in the division.
    Plus we have 2 firsts next year....if by some chance Rodgers leaves and we end up winning the division we would still have ammo to move up and snag a qb next year if we like one of the top qbs.

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk



    2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

    Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Thank You for the memories Coach Williams and Good Luck to Coach Davis!
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    22,140
    Super Bowl or bust.

    I don’t care about “competing”. You’re a professional football team. You should be competing every year. Just because they’ve set the bar so low doesn’t mean I have to accept mediocrity as a success.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    38
    I don’t think any of us accept mediocrity as success but when your hearing every analyst talk about how terrible they are going to be... and they over achieve, that’s something. If they somehow squeak into the playoffs. I would consider that a great accomplishment for this FO and Coaching staff given its only year 1 of a rebuild.

    Man.. I’m just optimistic for the first time in a long time. Knowing the lions though, I’m probably overly optimistic.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA.
    Posts
    32,803
    Derrick Barnes, LB, Purdue
    The Lions could have gone with Jabril Cox here, who’s a higher-ranked player on my board. That said, Derrick Barnes is an elite athlete, with a 4.57 40-yard dash and a 37-inch vertical at 6-foot-0, 238 pounds. His athletic upside makes him very much worth the price, and he can be a steady player against the run on day one.

    Grade: A


    Per
    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/d...s-grades-2021/
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

    click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •