Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Round 3: Vikings select Ohio State OG Wyatt Davis with the No. 86 overall pick

WYATT DAVIS
    G, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
    Apr 30, 2021, 10:48 PM ET

Vikings selected Ohio State OG Wyatt Davis with the No. 86 overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft.

Davis (6’4/315) is the grandson of Green Bay Packers' Hall of Fame defensive linemen Willie Davis and the son of former Missouri defensive linemen and actor Duane Davis, who starred as Alvin Mack in “The Program”. A consensus five-star prospect and top-25 overall national recruit coming out of high school, Davis was a two-plus year starter at Ohio State that earned first-team AP All-American honors in 2019 and 2020. Davis plays with outstanding balance and great knee bend, Davis consistently winning the leverage game. He explodes through contact into a divot-spitting leg drive that gets 300-pound nose tackles moving backward. In pass-pro he sets up quickly with a sturdy base, keeping enemies across the moat with bridge-like arms and cannon-ball shooting fists. He’d allowed only one sack and zero hits in 585 pass-pro reps heading into last year before coughing up three sacks and one hit in 280 pass-pro snaps last year -- but each occurred on a stunt or blitz, and was not an instance of getting beaten heads-up, which rarely happens to Davis. Davis’ ceiling could look a lot like Trai Turner at the peak of his five Pro Bowl powers. Pro Football Focus ranked the Vikings offensive line as a bottom-five unit in pass-protection and a below-average unit in run-blocking. Dakota Dozier was graded poorly in all facets of the game and could cede his job as the Vikings' starting left guard to Davis as early as Week 1.
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

So ****ing happy we got him!!

I am not sold on Cole. Really like this pick.

This pick just makes me laugh. No way in hell did I think we would get him at this spot. It's funny because when I first started to do mock drafts he for a while was a guy I was mocking in the 1st round lol. It for sure sounds like his 2020 year was not as good as 2019. If I'm correct, he's a guy that had opted out but then once the season was going on as normal he opted back in. I mean it's possible he didn't stay in the best of shape perhaps leading into the season like he normally would.

Regardless, he isn't perfect but he should be pretty damn close to plug and play.

Wyatt Davis told reporters today he is 100% healthy and will be starting off camp at RG
    2021 Vikings Draft:
    1: Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
    3: Kellen Mond QB Texas A&M
    3: Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina
    3: Wyatt Davis G Ohio State
    3: Patrick Jones III DE Pittsburgh
    4: Kene Nwangwu RB Iowa State
    4: Camryn Bynum S California
    4: Janarius Robinson DE Florida State
    5: Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR Iowa
    5: Zach Davidson TE Central Missouri St.
    6: Jaylen Twyman DT Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Wyatt Davis told reporters today he is 100% healthy and will be starting off camp at RG
    wait, so Ezra and Christian side by side on the left side?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    wait, so Ezra and Christian side by side on the left side?
    Yup. Cleveland started off training camp last year at LG and he was a LT in college so playing on the left side is probably best. Davis said after he was drafted he could play LG if he was asked to but starting two rookies on the left side probably isn’t smart. Not like Cleveland has much more experience but his history on the left side and Davis playing primarily on the right side so it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Vikings Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Yup. Cleveland started off training camp last year at LG and he was a LT in college so playing on the left side is probably best. Davis said after he was drafted he could play LG if he was asked to but starting two rookies on the left side probably isn’t smart. Not like Cleveland has much more experience but his history on the left side and Davis playing primarily on the right side so it makes sense.

IF it works out, that's a line of Darrisaw/Cleveland/Bradbury/Davis/ONeil....ages 21/23/25/22/25 as of right now
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    IF it works out, that's a line of Darrisaw/Cleveland/Bradbury/Davis/ONeil....ages 21/23/25/22/25 as of right now
    If we can hit on this group our OL is set for a long time. Fingers crossed lol

2021 Vikings Draft:

For once we have some promise on the OL and I think it's going to pay off for us. They don't even need to be elite.

I'm really excited about this pick. His play dropped off this year but it sounds like he played thru some nagging injuries which may have caused his play to suffer. We could have gotten a steal with him. I can't wait to watch him and Darrisaw play.