Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R3 Pick 81: Hunter Long TE

LOL wut

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Smythe or Geiscki are absolutely not coming back next year.

Long is purely an in line TE. Obviously points more towards Smythe being gone. But this feels odd considering you have 3 productive TEs still under contract. Not sure how Long gets on the field. But this offense was incredibly productive in 12 personnel. Makes sense that they would focus on keeping that strength a strength.

Long posted an 8.6 RAS ranking 131 out of 929 TEs.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 04-30-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Only pick so far im meh on but we like to us TEs and Gesicki is the only TE we have who is a pass catching one. Shaheen good in the redzone but not much between the 20s. Smythe just a blocking TE.

Long gives you another pass catching TE to lineup with Gesicki. Long's biggest knock is blocking, we saw that was Gesicki's issue and this new staff came in and helped mitigate those issues.

Gesicki, Smythe both last year as well. I'm always for a team sticking with their board and picking BPA and this seems it.

Worst case scenario, he replaces Smythe as the in-line TE next year. Best case, he develops in the passing game and helps the team move on from Geiscki. If he develops into a good traditional inline WR it could help Miami stay in 11 personnel which I think compliments Tua more.

Oh good... I was worried they would do something useful after I left but par for the course.

Don't take Browning or Quinn or sermon... No... Reach for a ****ing tight end instead. We only have what... 5 or so on the roster?

I can't wait to talk about this in 2 years, how everyone will be like "stay, it's ok. We have more draft picks, just because these guys didn't work out but look at all the picks we have". Mhm. Doesn't matter how many picks Miami has, if they don't know how to use them.

I didn't agree with the local media ******** over Miami after the first round, because I love Phillips.... But I fully expect to be destroyed after yesterday.

But I know even if every single outlet puts us in the "loser" category post draft, it's just overreacting and the media not knowing anything. Obviously our success over the last 20 years have given this team the benefit of the doubt. Winning does that.....

Oh. Wait.

I agree, maybe a bit of a head scratcher. I wanted a TE only if he was named Kyle, but if this guy can catch, we can go 2 TE's.
    Still want a decent RB more than a TE. They can be had later but I just really want to see who we get.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 05-01-2021 at 08:03 AM.

Dude is fun as hell to watch, has soft hands, grabs everything near him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmIU1GD8ju4

Tua is going to love throwing to him.

He reminds me so much of Witten.

Wittens scouting report was similar to his. Tape looked like his.

This guy looks like one of these dudes that will have a 10 year career.

I felt like it was kinda lazy, but I wanted to say Jyle Rudolph. Probably isnít as clean of a blocker as of right now but I think he can fill out more as a blocker.

Long fills a need more than people want to point out. Gesicki spent less than 20% lined up as a "normal" TE and Long is for sure fills that roll. Smythe is a good blocker but lacks pass catching, Shaheen is great in the redzone. Those are our 4 TEs, Cethan Carter is more a H-back and with Cox gone he fills that roll.

I love how easily he catches the ball in traffic, just puts his hands out and brings it in so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Long fills a need more than people want to point out. Gesicki spent less than 20% lined up as a "normal" TE and Long is for sure fills that roll. Smythe is a good blocker but lacks pass catching, Shaheen is great in the redzone. Those are our 4 TEs, Cethan Carter is more a H-back and with Cox gone he fills that roll.
    The more I think about the pick the more I think he replaces Geiscki in a year. We were really good in 12 personnel last year but when do you want to go heavy when you have Parker, Waddle, and Fuller? I think Flo wants to build a similar offense to Alabama, outside of the RB spot, and spread teams out. If you go 11 Geiscki really makes it 4 wide, so you lose the potential of a serious running threat. You also need someone to take the seam when teams go 2 Deep to cover Waddle and Fuller.

Iíd expect Long comes in and immediately contributes in 12 packages. He might end up being more productive, at least statically, than Waddle at the start of the season. If so I wouldnít be surprised at all if Miami decides to let Geiscki walk. I just donít see them paying him 12 mil+.

I don't think he replaces Geiscki at all, they don't really play the same. He replaces Smythe for sure. Tua was really good spreading teams out at Alabama, I've read before that some thought he was the best 4 vertical QB they have seen in a long time. So having someone like Smythe is more a power run type TE who can go out and grab a ball but your not trusting him.

I dont think they care for Gesicki as a long term scheme fit.

The future of this passing offense will be Bowden, Waddle, and for this year at least, Fuller. And in the future Hunter. Bowden is being completely under talked about as far as big pieces go for our future. They traded for him for a reason, and hes crazy talented, I expect a big jump from him, even with no training camp, and being raw, he looked awesome last year.

Gesicki can do things hunter isn't athletic enough to do, but I dont think this staff cares about that as far as long term goes.

Hunter runs clean routes and is great at catching off the break, tua is great at hitting receivers off the break. They are a perfect Match, better than Gesicki imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I don't think he replaces Geiscki at all, they don't really play the same. He replaces Smythe for sure. Tua was really good spreading teams out at Alabama, I've read before that some thought he was the best 4 vertical QB they have seen in a long time. So having someone like Smythe is more a power run type TE who can go out and grab a ball but your not trusting him.
    I agree with you. This pick is to compliment Gesicki. If Gesicki didn't prove his worth to this team with last year's performance, then what the heck is the point of keeping him? They could have easily received a 2nd for him, especially in this weak TE class. I think they extend him this year, and a Gesicki/Long combo is what gets rolled out for the next 4 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast