Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Round 3, pick 72: Alim McNeill DT

Alim McNeill Scouting Report
    Positives: Explosive one-gap defensive lineman who can be used at nose tackle or as a three-technique lineman. Fires off the snap with a quick first step, plays with outstanding pad level, and gets leverage on opponents. Fires his hands into blockers, working them to protect himself or get off opponents.

Focused on by opponents and attracts double-team blocks yet holds his ground. Fluid moving laterally, displays good change-of-direction skills, and shows power in his game. Shoots through gaps and overruns defenders to penetrate the line of scrimmage.

Negatives: Out-positioned by a single blocker and gets caught up in the wash. Average pass rusher.

Analysis: McNeill is a short, squat-bodied defensive tackle who can be used in a variety of schemes at the next level. Though not a pass rusher, he can be a disruptive lineman and will start in the right system.
    Last edited by Lionsfanfromsac; 04-30-2021 at 10:03 PM.
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

He is really quick off the line...played out of position at NT but did a decent job.

Some had him as a 3-5 round projection so he was on the high end of the projection but I like him.

Strengths

Broad through chest and thighs with low center of gravity.
    Three-for-one big man with power, explosiveness and athleticism.
    Operates with desired contact balance and body control.
    Moves fluidly with athletic gait in pursuit.
    Has potential to become more disruptive if allowed to one-gap.
    Strong base to play through the edge and maintain positioning.
    Upper-body turn helps him find the edge.
    Harmonious hands and feet to maneuver around protection.
    Flashes bull-rush potential when playing the angles.
    College rush production is a big plus for him.

Weaknesses

Effectively neutralized by Clemson in 2019.
    Started fewer than 20 games.
    Strong but sawed-off, with stubby arms.
    Slow diagnosis will get him reached by blocks.
    Unable to quickly shed and rid blocks due to lack of length.
    Occasionally swallowed by size on double teams.
    Limited range to tackle working off of blocks.
    Not much secondary rush when initial attack stalls.
    Needs to find go-to move for quicker wins as rusher.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Could be a sleeper pick for us.
    [img] [/img]

Holmes starting his tenure much like Quinn.

Did little-to-nothing in FA the first season and then took trench guys (OL/DL) on days one and two of his first draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Zspooner View Post

Did little-to-nothing in FA the first season and then took trench guys (OL/DL) on days one and two of his first draft.
    Unlike Quinn, Holmes actually knows what he is doing. Quinn literally destroyed the team by getting rid of talent that he had no business getting rid of. Quinn would have never traded Stafford much less get what Holmes got in return. Granted we got Goff and extra first to compensate taking on Goff's ridiculous contract. Overall Holmes has done a much better job right now than Quinn did in 5.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Thank You for the memories Coach Williams and Good Luck to Coach Davis!
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

I don't mind the move at all, the only puzzling aspect is that we already have Penisini and Brockers on the team so we drafted a backup in the 2nd or 3rd round depending how things play out. Then again we have come to accept this team doesn't seem serious about winning this year so these movies are for year 2 or 3, assuming they pan out of course.

A DT who can line up at 0-tech and still flash pass rush ability is a need. They focused heavily pressuring the interior and said as much when Holmes was asked about his day 2 picks. No more one dimensional DT's for us please.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I don't mind the move at all, the only puzzling aspect is that we already have Penisini and Brockers on the team so we drafted a backup in the 2nd or 3rd round depending how things play out. Then again we have come to accept this team doesn't seem serious about winning this year so these movies are for year 2 or 3, assuming they pan out of course.

A DT who can line up at 0-tech and still flash pass rush ability is a need. They focused heavily pressuring the interior and said as much when Holmes was asked about his day 2 picks. No more one dimensional DT's for us please.
    I don't mind it either. Rotating bodies in will keep everyone fresh.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Thank You for the memories Coach Williams and Good Luck to Coach Davis!
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post

Brockers is gone or reduced in play in two years time so the pick is about foresight looking ahead and seeing what you are going to need. I love that outlook. Penisini is a one gap system NT. Alim is a two gap NT who can rush the qb its not a big difference to the fans but it is huge to your defensive schemes.

Alim McNeill, DT, North Carolina State
    Itís never a bad idea to build a strong rotation of interior linemen, and thatís what the Lions are doing. After taking Onwuzurike in Round 2, they swiped Alim McNeill in Round 3. McNeill is a stout player and a stellar athlete. He provides a high-end run defender on Day 1, and he has the upside to be a devastating pass rusher. The Lions could have addressed wide receiver here, but McNeill is excellent value on the board.

Grade: A-

Per
    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/d...s-grades-2021/
    [img] [/img]

I forgot they have Da'Shawn Hand too. Assuming Hand isn't moved, which I think could be a decent trade piece, we have Brockers/Hand/Onwuzurike/McNiell/Penisini on the interior. On paper it has a bright future.

we'll see i have no thoughts atm not sure how anyone could think its a good or bad draft

I donít see it that way at all.

I think weíve improved in most areas on the roster aside from QB and WR. But I can understand why they put together the WR core they did. The gamble at that position is whether or not they can stay healthy.

QB - Goff doesnít have the canon that Stafford has but I think Goff allows the team play more into a system vs just letting a guy sling it because he can.

Iíd argue, our that our Oline, RB, DLine, LB and CB spots are all improved from last year. The coaching canít get worse.

For me, all thatís really left for me to buy 100% in is how Campbellís in game decision making is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
    I donít see it that way at all.

I think weíve improved in most areas on the roster aside from QB and WR. But I can understand why they put together the WR core they did. The gamble at that position is whether or not they can stay healthy.

QB - Goff doesnít have the canon that Stafford has but I think Goff allows the team play more into a system vs just letting a guy sling it because he can.

Iíd argue, our that our Oline, RB, DLine, LB and CB spots are all improved from last year. The coaching canít get worse.

For me, all thatís really left for me to buy 100% in is how Campbellís in game decision making is.
    what about our linebackers are better than last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    Jarred Davis was a huge disappointment IMO. Reeves-Maybin finally getting a chance along with Barnes and anzolone I think make this a better unit than what was on the field last year.

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    Barnes has to be at least as good if not better than Davis and Tavai.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast