Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Even if heís a guard, heís a damn good guard. Putting him next to Jackson would help give Jackson a stable force next to him. Iíd expect them to do something similar to Hunt. Give him the opportunity to fail at RT first. See if he gets whooped by Ogbah or Phillips and then move him to guard.

Outside of his own struggles, moving him to RT does force two other guys to move around. So itís probably not going to be as fluid as Iíd hope.
    Guard is where I see him short term at least.

I dont see them training him for Center, I think Deiter is working on that.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Guard is where I see him short term at least.

I dont see them training him for Center, I think Deiter is working on that.
    Youíre probably right, I just hope they at least give him a shot since itís a more valuable spot. Also means that Kindley at least isnít given a spot and has to compete with Davis and Fluker.

I know itís a super small sample size, but Dieter looked much better in the one game he played in. Showed some of the athleticism and pulling ability that was missing from our guards last year. I think itís a battle between him, Davis, and Skura.

Youíre probably right, I just hope they at least give him a shot since itís a more valuable spot. Also means that Kindley at least isnít given a spot and has to compete with Davis and Fluker.

I know itís a super small sample size, but Dieter looked much better in the one game he played in. Showed some of the athleticism and pulling ability that was missing from our guards last year. I think itís a battle between him, Davis, and Skura.
    I remember Deiter doing well. He got pushed back a couple of times, but generally held his ground and when he got to the second level he immediately found his guy to hit. Critical from your LG.

Yeah we invested a lot of picks in this young oline. I really didn't think they performed bad at all last season considering their age, and no training camp.

At this point, with what we invested them, the plan was clearly to always build a young oline and let them develop.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Yeah we invested a lot of picks in this young oline. I really didn't think they performed bad at all last season considering their age, and no training camp.

At this point, with what we invested them, the plan was clearly to always build a young oline and let them develop.
    You saw reasons to be optimistic. The one Iím lowest on is Kindley, but Iíve heard heís lost some weight and Iím optimistic heíll play better at LG. Hunt was the best Olineman on the team last year IMO, and if they move him inside I think he can be a pro bowl caliber player. And Jackson looked good before the injury.

My only worry is that everyone is expecting them to make a step up, and itís just not how that always works. I would be stunned if all three take noticeable steps forward. This team is going to be super young still so Iím refraining from saying ďoh itís no excusesĒ for literally anyone involved.

From the Herald:

From what weíre hearing, Eichenberg is going to be given a chance to compete to start at right tackle. Some Dolphins people believe he can handle that job immediately, but nobody will know until the team puts on pads in August. If he performs well in August, heís the front-runner to be the new right tackle.

What about Jesse Davis? I expect he will be given a chance to compete with Kindley at left guard. He also could be needed at right tackle if Eichenberg struggles in August.

As for newcomer D.J. Fluker, he could settle into a role as the No. 3 swing tackle, backing up left tackle Austin Jackson and Eichenberg, if Eichenberg wins the right tackle job. He also could enter the left guard competition.

For now, Robert Hunt is the front-runner at right guard; the Dolphins decided to move him from right tackle.

Davis said last year that he took some snaps at center in offseason workouts; perhaps the Dolphins could give that experiment an extended look to give them another option at center if likely starter Matt Skura is injured. Michael Deiter also returns as a backup center/guard. But to this point, there has been no plan put in place to use Davis at center.

You saw reasons to be optimistic. The one Iím lowest on is Kindley, but Iíve heard heís lost some weight and Iím optimistic heíll play better at LG. Hunt was the best Olineman on the team last year IMO, and if they move him inside I think he can be a pro bowl caliber player. And Jackson looked good before the injury.

My only worry is that everyone is expecting them to make a step up, and itís just not how that always works. I would be stunned if all three take noticeable steps forward. This team is going to be super young still so Iím refraining from saying ďoh itís no excusesĒ for literally anyone involved.
    Ill say it again, we had 3 rookies starting on the oline.

No team that I can remember has ever done that, even 2 rookies starting on the oline is rare.

no they didn't play great and shouldn't be expected to, but considering the circumstances they did pretty damm good.

Building a oline with chemistry takes time, and with 3 rookies on the oline, the fact they were even serviceable is pretty amazing. Especially without a real off season.

None of those guys looked like they were scrubs or out of their league either. Not to mention our whole offense was young. Tua a rook, Gaskins 2nd year, Bowden a rook, salvon a rook, Thats an insane amount of rookies starting.

6 rookies starting on one side of the field on a 10 win team? Thats unfathomable, no team has ever done that.

Fans don't realize how ridiculous it is that we won 10 games with 6 rookies on the offensive side alone.

So yeah, I expect a big jump from our young oline for sure, and Laim is the perfect fit, because he has a ton of games under his belt at a high level.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12