Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 118
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Great value and great pick overall. I am curious to know more about his back injury though. Must be something if so many teams passed him up.
    Well find out for sure once he has his team physical. If Mayock truly was trying to trade back into the first round to get him, the Raiders probably already did their due diligence on that front. I'm still not sold on Mayock's drafting acumen, but I trust he wouldn't burn the capital it would take to vault back into the first round for a player that was just going to wind up on IR.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Top of the world
    Posts
    8,139
    Wow to get a starting RT and FS in this draft is all we could have asked

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,917
    Love that we got him, I would of been really pissed if Dallas selected him, I told my best friend who is a Dallas fan, That I would of drove to him, And gave him a beating. LoL

    Was hoping we would trade up again, And get JOK... That would of tipped the draft for sure

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4,070
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

    If the Raiders had drafted Moehrig in Rd 1 and Leatherwood in Rd 2, we'd be praising their draft.
    I was thinking exactly this.
    Even though they had to trade up a few spots with the...gross...Niners, it's still worth it.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,917
    Las Vegas Raiders: Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU - A+ Grade
    Everyone whined about the Raiders apparently reaching for Alex Leatherwood on Thursday even though it was really fine value. I imagine that this selection will be viewed more favorably because Trevon Moehrig was frequently mocked in the first round as the only safety in the opening frame. Moehrig is a safe prospect who figures to fill a huge need in the Raiders' dreadful secondary.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,506
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Interesting. So because Mayock and Gruden didn't pull the trigger on Moehrig in the 1st, we end up giving up a draft pick that we didn't need to burn? And isn't this draft deep in OL?

    Edit: Now I see that we gave up pick #121 but got back pick #230, or something like that. Still unnecessarily lost value, but let's see how it shakes out.
    Someone I was watching live on YouTube mentioned that Leatherwood may have gone to the Colts or Vikings in the 20s.

    We wont know for sure but Leatherwood was their top guy at that point offense or defense.

    If he Pans out and makes Jacob's and Drake look like studs I'm all for it.

    Our Oline was horrible at run blocking last year. Seems like they got a bit lazy or maybe just got older.

    Not surprised we went Right tackle in the 1st since Gruden invested in Drake.


    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


    [/SIGPIC]
    [/IMG]

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,506
    I am very excited about our Secondary particularly our safeties.

    My guess is that Bradley and Gruden wanted to be fast and aggressive up front with Yannick, Malcolm, Max, Farrell , Irving etc.. Applying constant pressure on every down while rotating guys and keeping them fresh will help out the Secondary tremendously.

    We have our own Legion of boom just about.

    Moehrig is a lot smarter than Abram
    And knows how to bait the QB. This pick feels like Woodson, Nnamdi, type pick. Hopefully he will be as good or better.

    Deablo may be our Chancellor. Dude looks yoked. Hearing a lot of good things about Gillespie also.

    If our defense can get us 2or 3 wins...and more importantly not be the reason for lost games we are getting into the playoffs next season.

    Now we need Sherman or Pool and we should be pretty solid.





    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Swift Game; 05-02-2021 at 04:07 PM.


    [/SIGPIC]
    [/IMG]

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Game View Post
    Someone I was watching live on YouTube mentioned that Leatherwood may have gone to the Colts or Vikings in the 20s.

    We wont know for sure but Leatherwood was their top guy at that point offense or defense.

    If he Pans out and makes Jacob's and Drake look like studs I'm all for it.

    Our Oline was horrible at run blocking last year. Seems like they got a bit lazy or maybe just got older.

    Not surprised we went Right tackle in the 1st since Gruden invested in Drake.


    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    It all comes back to how Mayock assesses risk. If he had drafted Moehrig at 17, he may have lost out on Leatherwood, but there were plenty of OL available before our second round pick. Some of those OL picked after Leatherwood will start in this league and do well. I have no doubts about that. And I also don't doubt for a minute that we could have drafted one of those guys in the second and been just as happy.

    Safety was the bigger need. That we spent most of the draft picking up additional safeties, or hybrid safeties, pretty much speaks to that. Sure, some of those guys will be moved to other positions, but it doesn't diminish the priority. In fact, Mayock tried to trade back into the 1st round to get Moehrig. That's telling.

    Mayock knew we needed Moerhig more, but he gambled on Leatherwood in the first anyway. It cost us draft position in the later rounds, and forced us to make a trade that we probably didn't need to make otherwise. We'll never know for sure how it would have shaken out. I'm glad it worked out in the end, but I still think we drew fire and dodged bullets when we didn't have to.
    Last edited by RaiderLakersA's; 05-02-2021 at 06:42 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    It all comes back to how Mayock assesses risk. If he had drafted Moehrig at 17, he may have lost out on Leatherwood, but there were plenty of OL available before our second round pick. Some of those OL picked after Leatherwood will start in this league and do well. I have no doubts about that. And I also don't doubt for a minute that we could have drafted one of those guys in the second and been just as happy.

    Safety was the bigger need. That we spent most of the draft picking up additional safeties, or hybrid safeties, pretty much speaks to that. Sure, some of those guys will be moved to other positions, but it doesn't diminish the priority. In fact, Mayock tried to trade back into the 1st round to get Moehrig. That's telling.

    Mayock knew we needed Moerhig more, but he gambled on Leatherwood in the first anyway. It cost us draft position in the later rounds, and forced us to make a trade that we probably didn't need to make otherwise. We'll never know for sure how it would have shaken out. I'm glad it worked out in the end, but I still think we drew fire and dodged bullets when we didn't have to.
    It’s also possible that he would’ve been fine with Holland or Richie Grant, because he only traded up after those two guys were taken.

    They obviously prioritized leatherwood over a safety. You can obviously disagree with whether they should have, but the only logical argument you can make here is that he DIDNT think we needed Moehrig more, or he would have taken him at 17.

    So what you’re saying is They knew what to do but just didn’t do it on purpose? Weird argument to make.

    Also, I am totally not on board with the “other guys they would’ve been just as happy with” logic. It doesn’t mean they are right on Leatherwood, but at some point, the player matters and not just their pre-draft grade. I mean, in 1998, why should someone trade all the way up to get Peyton Manning at 1 when it’s much cheaper to take Ryan Leaf at 2?

    Extreme example, sure, but the point is....the player matters, not just getting a “similar one” at a lower cost draft pick.
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; 05-02-2021 at 08:10 PM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay View Post
    So what you’re saying is They knew what to do but just didn’t do it on purpose? Weird argument to make.
    And yet isn't that what happens every draft? Or for that matter in the normal course of people making life decisions? Sometimes we know the right thing to do, but we choose a different option. Happens all the time. It's the human element of every decision tree.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7,450
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay View Post
    It’s also possible that he would’ve been fine with Holland or Richie Grant, because he only traded up after those two guys were taken.

    They obviously prioritized leatherwood over a safety. You can obviously disagree with whether they should have, but the only logical argument you can make here is that he DIDNT think we needed Moehrig more, or he would have taken him at 17.

    So what you’re saying is They knew what to do but just didn’t do it on purpose? Weird argument to make.

    Also, I am totally not on board with the “other guys they would’ve been just as happy with” logic. It doesn’t mean they are right on Leatherwood, but at some point, the player matters and not just their pre-draft grade. I mean, in 1998, why should someone trade all the way up to get Peyton Manning at 1 when it’s much cheaper to take Ryan Leaf at 2?

    Extreme example, sure, but the point is....the player matters, not just getting a “similar one” at a lower cost draft pick.
    Yeah, I agree that they prioritized tackle. I dont think their plan was safety first, then failed. If anything, they may have preferred grant or Holland. But in general, tackles get drafted before safeties. So drafting a RT first makes sense.

    As for doubling up on safety- that also tells me grant or Holland might have been the target. If they didn’t want Moehrig because of the back issue, doubling up on S makes sense as a backup plan.
    Last edited by FarOutIos; 05-03-2021 at 05:43 AM.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    18,350
    Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    Yeah, I agree that they prioritized tackle. I dont think their plan was safety first, then failed. If anything, they may have preferred grant or Holland. But in general, tackles get drafted before safeties. So drafting a RT first makes sense.

    As for doubling up on safety- that also tells me grant or Holland might have been the target. If they didn’t want Moehrig because of the back issue, doubling up on S makes sense as a backup plan.
    Im pretty sure Moehrig was their number one guy. During of the of draft interviews with Mayock he made a comment about being surprised Holland was the first drafted and he didnt expect that. Really came off as I wouldnt have done that type of comment.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    18,758
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Im pretty sure Moehrig was their number one guy. During of the of draft interviews with Mayock he made a comment about being surprised Holland was the first drafted and he didnt expect that. Really came off as I wouldnt have done that type of comment.
    They avoided players that opted out last year like the plague. I doubt Holland was even on their board.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Raider Nation
    Posts
    16,152
    By far the best selection the Raiders made in this year's draft. This kid can really play and will be a starter from day 1. Just what we needed in the outfield.

    "...prone to stoogery.".

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    13,138
    Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    Yeah, I agree that they prioritized tackle. I dont think their plan was safety first, then failed. If anything, they may have preferred grant or Holland. But in general, tackles get drafted before safeties. So drafting a RT first makes sense.

    As for doubling up on safety- that also tells me grant or Holland might have been the target. If they didn’t want Moehrig because of the back issue, doubling up on S makes sense as a backup plan.
    I disagree about this part, I think the drafting of a second safety was more about pushing Abrams more than anything else.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •