Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

LeBron James and the [deleted] Tweet of the Police Officer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-tweet-police/

I figured we could have a discussion on the merits of LeBron's tweet calling out a heroic police officer for killing a Black girl charging another person with a knife, thereby saving the innocent person's life.

Does the cop need "accountability" for killing a violent offender who was in the act of attempting to commit murder? Is LeBron prejudice against cops for assuming guilt before learning the actual facts of the case? Did LeBron really delete the tweet because 'it is used to breed more hate' or because he knows damn well he is in the wrong? Is the cop a racist for saving the Black girl's life while killing a violent offender about to commit murder who happened to be Black?

Discuss civilly please.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Yeah, this should end well... But I'll start this train wreck off...

For the record, I have not been following this incident super closely. I did read up on it a bit before posting this, but before today, all I had heard was that there was a 16-year-old girl who was shot and killed by cops and that she allegedly had a knife. Reading more, it sounds like we don't know that much yet, so take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt, knowing that a lot of information is still known about this case.

That being said, here's my take:

1. Lebron posting "You're next #Accountability" clearly was a reference to the Derek Chauvin trial and the accountability of police officers who unnecessarily shoot and kill black people. I wouldn't have read it as anything more, so to suggest he was inciting violence seems like an extreme stretch to me.

2. Asking for accountability and change on this issue is hardly an unusual or minority opinion at this point. I think focusing on Lebron's take on a single incident that still has a lot of unanswered questions rather than the man's overall message about the accountability of law enforcement is missing the mark entirely.

3. Unless someone has an article they can share that proves Bryant was a "violent offender," I think making that claim or calling the cop a "hero" is super premature, OP. I've seen some of the footage, and I hardly think it's fair to say he handled that situation perfectly. He arrives on the scene, has no clue what's happening, yells "get down" a few times, sees a girl raising a knife at another girl and then shoots her four times.

What did he do to de-escalate the situation before shooting someone four times? Very little. Did he inform her that he was going to shoot her? No.

I don't think this case is that similar to the Chauvin/Floyd murderóa cop who tortured a man to death for nine minutes until he lost the ability to breathe and died. This was an instant reaction, and frankly, the man probably did what he was trained to do in that situation. But that's kind of the whole point Lebron and others are trying to makeóthe system is broken if the initial reaction of police is to shoot to kill and ask questions later.

Is Lebron "in the wrong" for suggesting law enforcement should be held accountable when someone is shot and killed? No. There should 100% be an investigation into this guy, and if he's proven he did something wrong, he should face some form of punishment. That being said, it's possible Lebron's tweet was premature, as we don't have all the facts yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yeah, this should end well... But I'll start this train wreck off...

For the record, I have not been following this incident super closely. I did read up on it a bit before posting this, but before today, all I had heard was that there was a 16-year-old girl who was shot and killed by cops and that she allegedly had a knife. Reading more, it sounds like we don't know that much yet, so take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt, knowing that a lot of information is still known about this case.

That being said, here's my take:

1. Lebron posting "You're next #Accountability" clearly was a reference to the Derek Chauvin trial and the accountability of police officers who unnecessarily shoot and kill black people. I wouldn't have read it as anything more, so to suggest he was inciting violence seems like an extreme stretch to me.

2. Asking for accountability and change on this issue is hardly an unusual or minority opinion at this point. I think focusing on Lebron's take on a single incident that still has a lot of unanswered questions rather than the man's overall message about the accountability of law enforcement is missing the mark entirely.

3. Unless someone has an article they can share that proves Bryant was a "violent offender," I think making that claim or calling the cop a "hero" is super premature, OP. I've seen some of the footage, and I hardly think it's fair to say he handled that situation perfectly. He arrives on the scene, has no clue what's happening, yells "get down" a few times, sees a girl raising a knife at another girl and then shoots her four times.

What did he do to de-escalate the situation before shooting someone four times? Very little. Did he inform her that he was going to shoot her? No.

I don't think this case is that similar to the Chauvin/Floyd murderóa cop who tortured a man to death for nine minutes until he lost the ability to breathe and died. This was an instant reaction, and frankly, the man probably did what he was trained to do in that situation. But that's kind of the whole point Lebron and others are trying to makeóthe system is broken if the initial reaction of police is to shoot to kill and ask questions later.

Is Lebron "in the wrong" for suggesting law enforcement should be held accountable when someone is shot and killed? No. There should 100% be an investigation into this guy, and if he's proven he did something wrong, he should face some form of punishment. That being said, it's possible Lebron's tweet was premature, as we don't have all the facts yet.

Pretty clear this girl was a violent offender... if the officer didn't shoot, they would just accuse him of being racist for "letting a Black girl get stabbed to death."

San Antonio Spurs

CNN covered this one pretty fairly last I saw it. Ill try to fence sit as much as possible cuz its touchy and sad. The Cop had very little time to figure out what was going on and who was who. Someone fill me in but for all the guy knew, the lady who called 911 complaining about someone yielding a knife was the girl who was seconds away from getting shanked in the neck. Now regardless of all the context before/after this moment, ask yourself what you want that cop to do if its you about to get got. That should answer any talk about using a 50/50 tazer to save the assailant vs 100% chance to save you.

Now if you disagree with the method he used before the shooting then we would have to discuss his training and how these kind of calls usually go in the precinct. I honestly dont know so Im willing to be swayed in either direction here. Maybe the cop should have ran up on the scene looking to taze anyone with a weapon? Its so absurd but at this point, I've seen people argue for shooting in the hands/legs to just letting kids play with knives soo....

After many debates and much deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that cities that dont want the cops shouldn't have them. The community that doesn't want them has spoken, its better to let citizens kill each other than an agent of the state decide their fate. That cop should have let the girl die (she did go there looking for trouble) and then arrested the attacker thereafter. Sure 2 lives are ruined/lost but at least its not a cop shooting them.

Anyone who disagrees with this and prefers the rule of law can flee to red states and be labeled boot lickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    CNN covered this one pretty fairly last I saw it. Ill try to fence sit as much as possible cuz its touchy and sad. The Cop had very little time to figure out what was going on and who was who. Someone fill me in but for all the guy knew, the lady who called 911 complaining about someone yielding a knife was the girl who was seconds away from getting shanked in the neck. Now regardless of all the context before/after this moment, ask yourself what you want that cop to do if its you about to get got. That should answer any talk about using a 50/50 tazer to save the assailant vs 100% chance to save you.

Now if you disagree with the method he used before the shooting then we would have to discuss his training and how these kind of calls usually go in the precinct. I honestly dont know so Im willing to be swayed in either direction here. Maybe the cop should have ran up on the scene looking to taze anyone with a weapon? Its so absurd but at this point, I've seen people argue for shooting in the hands/legs to just letting kids play with knives soo....

After many debates and much deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that cities that dont want the cops shouldn't have them. The community that doesn't want them has spoken, its better to let citizens kill each other than an agent of the state decide their fate. That cop should have let the girl die (she did go there looking for trouble) and then arrested the attacker thereafter. Sure 2 lives are ruined/lost but at least its not a cop shooting them.

Anyone who disagrees with this and prefers the rule of law can flee to red states and be labeled boot lickers.
    I agree with the point you're making, but not necessarily letting citizens go unpoliced because a group of people (maybe even the majority) don't want the police. There are non-psychotic brainwashed people in those communities who realize the necessity for a police force and just because they might be part of the minority doesn't mean they should live in anarchy like that.

The real issue here is that when social media and social media influencers (like LeBron) label anything and everything as "racist", it takes away from the REAL racism and social inequalities existing in 2021. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

I think Black lives matter, but LeBron didn't give a s--t about the Black girl's life the cop saved... Why doesn't her life matter? Because it doesn't fit the narrative that cops are murdering Blacks left and right?

San Antonio Spurs

Sometimes every situation isn't what it looks like.

Let me preface this by saying you'll hear me loud and clear about systemic racism in America and fighting against police brutality. I've argued on here numerous times before. Redrum/OP himself has felt the sting of the logical backhand I've swept across these topics, and was often unable to argue against me. So has Chronz and the others conservative views.

With all that said, every situation must be examined individually. Each time I hear about a black person being killed, even as a black dude myself, I gotta analyze the situation and come to the most rational conclusion I can make. It's only fair to everyone involved. I do not like when people hear about a shooting and immediately grab their torches and pitchforks. That's a very uncivilized sort of reaction and is pretty dangerous to society. People are going to die to cops - and not every single time the cop is in the wrong.

So looking at this situation and reading as much detail on it as I could find... I find it hard to condemn the cop. While he COULD have probably tried to gain control of the situation and make his presence known, it's difficult to not react to witnessing someone attacking people while wielding a knife. That **** is scary - and while cops should be held to a higher standard... the ****ing girl was wielding a knife at someone.

IDK man... it's just an unfortunate situation and I feel bad for the kid but I can't say I would expect it to go much different if it were to happen again. It's easy to say the cop should've been like robocop delivered precise bullets to non-lethal parts of the girl's leg, but in reality it's just not like that. YES, better training is essential and hopefully we do get better responses as a whole.

As for LeBron... I just think he reacted to another shooting that happened right during the Chauvin trial. It's obvious he wasn't trying to incite violence and it's likely the reason he deleted his tweet (because of the misinterpretation). Bad tweet - wise move to take it down. Nothing more, nothing less.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post

Nah, the whole "get rid of police" stance is completely idiotic. We desperately need police in this country and most are good people.

If the topic is about restructuring the money for police in an effort to establish better hiring protocols and maximizing the competence of our officers, then that's something that makes a lot more sense. How to actually go about that is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Sometimes every situation isn't what it looks like.

Let me preface this by saying you'll hear me loud and clear about systemic racism in America and fighting against police brutality. I've argued on here numerous times before. Redrum/OP himself has felt the sting of the logical backhand I've swept across these topics, and was often unable to argue against me. So has Chronz and the others conservative views.

With all that said, every situation must be examined individually. Each time I hear about a black person being killed, even as a black dude myself, I gotta analyze the situation and come to the most rational conclusion I can make. It's only fair to everyone involved. I do not like when people hear about a shooting and immediately grab their torches and pitchforks. That's a very uncivilized sort of reaction and is pretty dangerous to society. People are going to die to cops - and not every single time the cop is in the wrong.

So looking at this situation and reading as much detail on it as I could find... I find it hard to condemn the cop. While he COULD have probably tried to gain control of the situation and make his presence known, it's difficult to not react to witnessing someone attacking people while wielding a knife. That **** is scary - and while cops should be held to a higher standard... the ****ing girl was wielding a knife at someone.

IDK man... it's just an unfortunate situation and I feel bad for the kid but I can't say I would expect it to go much different if it were to happen again. It's easy to say the cop should've been like robocop delivered precise bullets to non-lethal parts of the girl's leg, but in reality it's just not like that. YES, better training is essential and hopefully we do get better responses as a whole.

As for LeBron... I just think he reacted to another shooting that happened right during the Chauvin trial. It's obvious he wasn't trying to incite violence and it's likely the reason he deleted his tweet (because of the misinterpretation). Bad tweet - wise move to take it down. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I felt no such "sting". I'm also not a "conservative". I'm actually a social liberal.

I have to agree with the majority of this post though. I'll just go one step further and say the cop could have arrived on the scene and used physical (non-lethal force) and dominated anyone and everything but they were fighting before AND during the arrival. If the cop didn't react appropriately, an innocent Black girl would have been murdered.

The part I disagree with you on is that LeBron may not have intended to incite violence, but just like Donald Trump, his words will nevertheless incite violence. Now, should we hold Trump and LeBron accountable for their respective incite? (I don't mean to compare the severity of the role/status of the person indirectly inciting violence... clearly we should hold presidents to a much higher standard, that isn't my point though)

LeBron was lying/attempting to deceive people for why he removed the post. He didn't apologize to the police officer or say he misjudged the scenario, he straight up lied and said he deleted it because "people use it for more hate". Everyone, including you, see right through his bulls--t.

San Antonio Spurs

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    I felt no such "sting".

I'm also not a "conservative". I'm actually a social liberal.

I have to agree with the majority of this post though. I'll just go one step further and say the cop could have arrived on the scene and used physical (non-lethal force) and dominated anyone and everything but they were fighting before AND during the arrival. If the cop didn't react appropriately, an innocent Black girl would have been murdered.

The part I disagree with you on is that LeBron may not have intended to incite violence, but just like Donald Trump, his words will nevertheless incite violence. Now, should we hold Trump and LeBron accountable for their respective incite? (I don't mean to compare the severity of the role/status of the person indirectly inciting violence... clearly we should hold presidents to a much higher standard, that isn't my point though)

LeBron was lying/attempting to deceive people for why he removed the post. He didn't apologize to the police officer or say he misjudged the scenario, he straight up lied and said he deleted it because "people use it for more hate". Everyone, including you, see right through his bulls--t.
    I honestly can't say if I can discern LeBron's intention. At this point I don't believe he is the type of person that would knowingly try to incite violence, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I understand how it could be perceived differently from someone else, but a lot of LeBron's "antics" have aligned with my own frustration with the division in this country. As someone who has been repeatedly harassed by police for no reason (probably my skin color), it hits home for me.

Whereas I can't relate to Trump seemingly supporting white supremacist groups regularly or failing to denounce them, even if it was probably politically motivated.

But if I'm wrong or reach a point where I feel LeBron is trying to incite hate and violence, I'll condemn him harshly. Just don't believe that to be the case.

Red rum is clearly way to triggered by Bron, and by black people standing up for themselves against racist cops. Red rum you come off as a condescending prick in your OP. Everything Bron has said about Chauven was 100% correct.

Now this case is much different. Bron was wrong in this one. For me, itís like this, if Iím the cop and that other girl is my daughter, then Iím not gonna let my daughter get stabbed. Iím not going to critique the cop even.

What Bron did was nothing like trump. If Bron would of told people to go March on the capitol and kick the doors down, then yes that would of been trump like.

Bron made a mistake and realized it to late. Yeah would of been nice if he said, he tweeted prematurely on this one, but he did realize he made a mistake. How many idiot remarks has trump made and left them there and shown zero remorse...500...1000...dude got blocked from Twitter so he is the champion of dumb ish.

What Bron did is a kin to being in a fist fight, and then someone tries to help you and you accidentally punch them. When so much bs is going on, sometimes you overreact to something that actually isnít the same.

Redrum, you should stay away from these subjects. You can talk b ball on the court all day objectively. But when it comes to black people having problems with racist cops, you canít empathize, even if itís clearly murder right in front of your face.

To you it may seem like black people are crying over nothing. I really donít recall any black people crying over wearing a mask.

Yawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

LeBron's post was specifc and not general. I'm sure someone pointed it out and he took it down. He apologized in a mealy mouthed way, but regardless that should be the end of it.

We need to realize that the family/lawyers/media want to paint a clear one sided picture and we should wait for more information before reacting.
    Last edited by Scoots; 04-30-2021 at 09:30 PM.

When Rep. Val Demmings (D-Florida) says that the police officer acted appropriately, I will leave it at that. She was the police chief for Orlando Florida and knows a bit more about police training and tactics than the average poster, and far more than LeBron does.
    LeBron was very premature in his condemnation of the police officer and has admitted such.

Every case is different. This is a case of a black girl getting shot while trying to stab another black girl.

Lebron should have waited for the video to be released and watched it first before commenting. As we all should. But I think he will do that moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Red rum is clearly way to triggered by Bron, and by black people standing up for themselves against racist cops. Red rum you come off as a condescending prick in your OP. Everything Bron has said about Chauven was 100% correct.

Now this case is much different. Bron was wrong in this one. For me, itís like this, if Iím the cop and that other girl is my daughter, then Iím not gonna let my daughter get stabbed. Iím not going to critique the cop even.

What Bron did was nothing like trump. If Bron would of told people to go March on the capitol and kick the doors down, then yes that would of been trump like.

Bron made a mistake and realized it to late. Yeah would of been nice if he said, he tweeted prematurely on this one, but he did realize he made a mistake. How many idiot remarks has trump made and left them there and shown zero remorse...500...1000...dude got blocked from Twitter so he is the champion of dumb ish.

What Bron did is a kin to being in a fist fight, and then someone tries to help you and you accidentally punch them. When so much bs is going on, sometimes you overreact to something that actually isnít the same.

Redrum, you should stay away from these subjects. You can talk b ball on the court all day objectively. But when it comes to black people having problems with racist cops, you canít empathize, even if itís clearly murder right in front of your face.

To you it may seem like black people are crying over nothing. I really donít recall any black people crying over wearing a mask.
    Agree with all of this (and to what Vee said) to a T.

To compare this situation to the George Floyd situation only makes some people question the validity of all of these cases and wondering if theyíre just all Wolf Crying. It possibly lowers the Floyd murder, it doesnít raise up this one.

White Cop showed up, announced himself, and Knife Wielder totally ignored him and kept attacking Pink Pants. Cops are taught to aim for the torso, not to try to injure someone by aiming at their hand. This isnít some 1890ís trick-shot exhibition in Bum****, Arizona.

And then you have Field Goal Kicker, who later talked **** about the cop not having to use force on Knife Wielder after kicking Random Chick hard in the face. That guy was classy.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast