Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodgers trade

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    the problem is if there were only 1 owner there would be no Green Bay Packers. there is no way an owner would keep the team in Green Bay because there is no money in Green Bay for a single owner. The reason they have such a fan base is because they are the team of the people. the people flock to this team because of it being a public team. I think the packers have done pretty well without a single owner. I mean do you really want a Mark Davis or Jerry Jones type owning this team?
    Honestly i feel like this is true 20 plus years ago but now most of their money comes from tv deals etc and the packers would still make money from that and selling out a packed house.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Honestly i feel like this is true 20 plus years ago but now most of their money comes from tv deals etc and the packers would still make money from that and selling out a packed house.
    the money also comes from being able to market the team locally. The packers don't make that much locally as they would in a place like Los Angeles or New York. Green Bay as a whole is maybe 160k people the whole state of Wisconsin has less population than New York or another city that has a team. One owner isn't going to stay in a place he can't market too or who can't meet the demands they would want. why do you think teams have moved from places like St Louis?

It would take away their renovations of the stadium. the easiest way for them to make money to do some kind of major renovation is say hey we are selling stock you can be an owner of the team. you take that away and there goes your renovations. and being an owner you do technically have some say. you get to vote on the board members for the Packers who get to make the decisions an owner does.

To me, the owner arguement is kind of dumb. We've been one of the most successful franchises the last 25 years without an owner. And teams like Dallas and Washington with meddling owners have had little to no success recently. Having Bob Kraft as an owner didn't prevent a somewhat ugly breakup in New England either.

has any official offer been released so far? i've heard rumors but has any team confirmed this is what we offered?

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    has any official offer been released so far? i've heard rumors but has any team confirmed this is what we offered?
    To my knowledge no. It sounds like most calls have been to see if they would take calls and are being told we're not taking calls.

The only so called offer was allegedly SF, but that was denied by both teams. If any talks were legit or imminent I would imagine the Niners would have taken Kyle Pitts not a QB.

Though they're not talking offers it's been stated a QB wouldn't be needed on an offer. So though they aren't taking offers it sounds like there have at least been internal discussions that may have leaked.

A few of the comments that have been made from guys like Lafleur lead me to believe the situation is somewhat dire. I know everyone is fairly steadfast on saying Aaron is our qb for 2021 and beyond, but there's been a few comments that make you think they're internally preparing for him to possibly hold out or retire.

I just don't see a trade in the cards any time soon. Draft night would have been the time to do it if they were going to do it.

Part of the problem is almost no matter who you deal Rodgers to, that team is probably going to be a playoff team or at least a borderline playoff team. So trading for future picks means those picks are probably in the 20s or so. Trading on draft night could have gotten you something like pick 9 and more.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    A few of the comments that have been made from guys like Lafleur lead me to believe the situation is somewhat dire. I know everyone is fairly steadfast on saying Aaron is our qb for 2021 and beyond, but there's been a few comments that make you think they're internally preparing for him to possibly hold out or retire.

I just don't see a trade in the cards any time soon. Draft night would have been the time to do it if they were going to do it.

Part of the problem is almost no matter who you deal Rodgers to, that team is probably going to be a playoff team or at least a borderline playoff team. So trading for future picks means those picks are probably in the 20s or so. Trading on draft night could have gotten you something like pick 9 and more.
    thats a great point and to add to it you have to be careful on any return on potential players added to the trade because of how tight against the cap the Packers are.

I do think some of these rumors coming out now are just plain stupid. The big one now is supposedly the straw that broke the camel's back was the release of Jake Kumerow after Rodgers had just praised him.

AJ Hawk said on the Pat Mcaffee show that Rodgers wanting Gutey fired is 100% false and he said there is a 0% chance Rodgers retires.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I do think some of these rumors coming out now are just plain stupid. The big one now is supposedly the straw that broke the camel's back was the release of Jake Kumerow after Rodgers had just praised him.

AJ Hawk said on the Pat Mcaffee show that Rodgers wanting Gutey fired is 100% false and he said there is a 0% chance Rodgers retires.
    The issue isnt Kumerow specifically, its that Rodgers has no input in who he plays with. Other star qbs do, and hes rightfully a bit pissed about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    The issue isnt Kumerow specifically, its that Rodgers has no input in who he plays with. Other star qbs do, and hes rightfully a bit pissed about it.
    I didn't say it was Kumerow specific, what I said is the current rumor that is getting play is releasing Kumerow was the final straw. that was every headline I read when I woke up this morning.

No, draft night wouldnt have been the time to do it considering the dead cap hit youd take before June 1st. 17 mil compared to 30 mil sounds pretty good to me no? Now itll be half that along with what you drafted, which was a good draft, and now you can use the 2022 draft and beyond as your return plus more. Made zero sense to trade him draft day for the pure fiscal reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee1981 View Post
    No, draft night wouldnt have been the time to do it considering the dead cap hit youd take before June 1st. 17 mil compared to 30 mil sounds pretty good to me no? Now itll be half that along with what you drafted, which was a good draft, and now you can use the 2022 draft and beyond as your return plus more. Made zero sense to trade him draft day for the pure fiscal reason alone.
    You didn't have to finalize the deal on draft night, but making the deal made so much more sense. If you're Brian Gutekunst, you've bet your career on Jordan Love. Even if you didn't fully mean to, at this point, Jordan Love is make it or break it for you. So if you're forced to trade Rodgers to move to Love, you are going to get stuff that will help you immediately.

Its feasible you could have gotten something like pick 9, Jerry Juedy, possibly another starter (maybe Dalton Risner at LG) and future picks. That's 3 guys who can contribute right away. That also means you don't have to take Stokes at 29, and could go anothwt position to potentially shore up as well.

I'm not sure the value was really there on draft night. At the same time, I wouldn't have an issue dealing with him then if they were sure they can't work things out. If a draft-day deal was going to be done the value would have been dealing him to SF for #3 and take Kyle Pitts. The issue is we have now dealt him in the conference and clouded our road to the Super Bowl. So I think there is really no way we deal him to an NFC team. Of the AFC "hypothetical suitors" I don't think there was a big value shift draft day or post-draft day.

Sure you may be able to know you're getting at least one spot that you are sure of, but let's use the Broncos as a hypothetical. #9 wasn't all that appealing IMO. Much of the other picks we would get likely were future picks. The major benefit would have to know you had one pick that was top 10. Who do we take at that spot, to begin with? I'm not sure it would have been Surtain. Even though I think some guys who were there could be good, I'm not seeing a can't miss prospect.

But I'm trying to envision the offer Broncos could give they have a few pro-piece I would say they could offer up. We have a pretty full OL group. Risner was an older prospect. Patrick is only 2 years older than Risner, I'm not sure I would be thrilled to add Risner. Dever's OL was pretty bad last season. Sure Risner wasn't bad and will likely get better, but Risner may be the best on that OL and I wasn't all that impressed. I'm wondering does he beat out some of the guys in this group and actually start? I mean Jerry Jeudy, but if Jeudy's rookie season is a sign of what's to come I'd say pass. He caught 46% of his passes, and you can't say that's all on Drew Lock. He was credited with 10 drops last season, which means there are likely more that could have been. One of Jeudy's knocks was concentration and drops he didn't show much had changed. Sure he could break that, but if we're handing over the torch to Love this really isn't all that helpful. It's going to be interesting to see Rodgers in Denver potentially because Jeudy, Sutton, and Hamler are all below 60% in catch%. Hamler likewise makes no sense we just took Amari Rodgers. Sutton makes no sense he's a free agent at season's end. If they were to do any deal with the Broncos I would demand Noah Fant and picks. I don't think getting the #9 pick is significantly more appealing than getting like 3 first, because we likely can get some of that value back in more picks. Though we're not getting a guaranteed number overall we're likely getting an additional pick either a second or 3rd.

The thing of it is either Love can play or he can't play. I think he can, but I think they want him to sit one more year.

At the same time if they trade him I would be skeptical on a post-June 1 designation. If and that's a big if in my book we deal Rodgers. If you're making the move it's almost more logical to peel the bandaid now. You still get some savings, but you get just short of $40 mil in cap relief next year. You post-June 1 designation him you're likely still in the red. You would be in the same spot you would be moving him at the season's end. The dead cap next year post-June 1 or finish season with him is going to be $17.2 mil dead cap. There is little benefit for a post-June 1 designation. What can we really do with the newly added $12-15 mil of cap for this season. You could only add on a 1-year type deal.

Problem for me with pick 3 was it was just going to be pick 3. Maybe a player or some seconds, but they don't have more firsts. If they had other firsts, then maybe, but basically just Pitts for Rodgers isn't a great deal in my mind. I'd want extra picks moreso than 1 really premium pick.

Problem for me with pick 3 was it was just going to be pick 3. Maybe a player or some seconds, but they don't have more firsts. If they had other firsts, then maybe, but basically just Pitts for Rodgers isn't a great deal in my mind. I'd want extra picks moreso than 1 really premium pick.
    Not necessarily, even though both teams denied any discussion. Some of the hypothetical from work from most reports had it as they were prepared to offer No. 3 overall picks, quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, other players, plus draft picks to the Green Bay Packers for quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Who knows who the other player/s could have been, but I would imagine that any discussion would include Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo. No way around that. Also, any real discussion in no way has Jimmy G in them as they would have been a cap nightmare. The inclusion of Jimmy G was the reason I knew no real discussions occurred given our cap. In that hypothetical, it would have been far more than Pitts for Rodgers. On the contrary here you'd then have Pitts, Aiyuk/Deebo, maybe another player, and a stable of 2nd and 3rd round picks. I'd imagine they would push to bring up the name Javon Kinlaw as well. If any of that could have been on the table I think they would at least have gotten some attention. I think the Niners are officially out of the running for Rodgers. Any chance SF had to get Rodgers went out the door draft night. But it was also pretty clear they were not dealing Rodgers on the draft night either. So it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Again, sticking strictly to hypothetical here. The only way Rodgers heads west at this point remains Denver and LV. Then there are your long shots, probably a bit of lazy journalism, but odd chance there could be something worked out sending him to Houston or Seattle. Both of those long shots, but if both teams wanted to make it work they could make it work. I don't think Rodgers would be completely against to re-uniting with Randall Cobb. But at this point, there is nothing to that speculation.

Also, if there is any chance of Rodgers being dealt I don't think anyone could write off Miami or the Jets who have a stable to draft picks. The media seems to keep covering this like Rodgers has some kind of say in where he goes. I'm almost confident they don't deal with him in the conference in any scenario. The only motivation the Packers may have to deal him west is to hopefully prevent him two years from now hitting the free-agent market and coming back into the North. I find it far more likely if they dealt him East after two years he signs somewhere west. That all being said I'll believe this is speculation until either 1. Rodgers retires/holds out 2. Rodgers is in another uniform.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast